IGNORED

Concealed carry while golfing?

DirtCheap
Note: This thread is 5854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
there is a lot of anxiety in this thread- could it be that the fear of crime massively outweighs the probability of becoming a victim of crime.

It's not like we're talking about a bee sting. We're talking about violent crimes. If the rate was 1 in a trillion I would still like to be prepared to protect myself. You've only got one life to live - it's not like you get murdered and then say "oh well, next time I'll do it differently."

Furthermore, I reject your characterization of us as having "anxiety."
look at the video clip i posted earlier of the lady in her house who is paranoid about being robbed/burgled in her own homeetc.

Yes, let's play off emotion and hyperbole again.

..my advice to her is- if she can afford a weapon like that she can afford a decent house alarm system linked directly to the police.

How long do you think it takes someone to kill you and steal something you own? How long do you think it takes the police to get to your house after an alarm is tripped?

Come on... Until you can have a reasonable discussion that isn't full of made up stuff, emotion, and hyperbole, there's very little point in trying to talk to you about this. Go read some books. Read "Armed" by Kleck and Kates first if you can find it, it's as good as any of the others. It also talks about the UK and other countries.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a lot of anxiety in this thread- could it be that the fear of crime massively outweighs the probability of becoming a victim of crime.!

It's not anxiety, it's being realistic. If I have a 1 in 1000 chance of my wife or daughter being violently assaulted and did nothing to bring that ratio down, I would be devestated if it did happen and it could have been prevented.

look at the video clip i posted earlier of the lady in her house who is paranoid about being robbed/burgled in her own homeetc.

Yes, because in the 10 or so minutes that it takes for the police to arrive the adverse party will be more than happy to wait around. I happen to have an alarm, but it only takes 2 second to get through a window and another 10 second to get upstairs. I'm not paranoid about being robbed and it isn't in the front of my mind while I'm watching Lost at 7pm. But you can bet your bottom dollar that if someone attempts to violently interrupt me while I'm trying to figure out why Walt isn't on the ship, too - well, then I can tell you they won't have a pleasant night.

or /(and), get a big dog- Alsatian/ German Sheppard- highly intelligent and they don't miss a thing..you d get ample warning of an intruder and they'd probably scare any would be theif off!

Because everyone with a dog gets up at 2am to check out what the dog is barking at. Or, do they really just yell at the dog to be quiet because I have a tee time at 6 am... And if dogs scared thieves off then we wouldn't have criminals. Wait. Dogs outnumber humans in the US almost 4 to 1. Hmm... What about the people in apartments? Or the ones allergic to dogs? Guess they have to rely on the alarm. And we all know criminals run at the site of an alarm!

In my bag you'll find:

Irons[SIZE="1"] Big Bertha X-Fuision 5 ~ PW (graphite)
Hybrids 3DX Genex 2i (17*) and 4i (23*) (steel)
SW 256.10 Vokey Black Nickle (56* / 10*) (steel)LW 260.4 Vokey oil can (60* / 4*) (steel)Woods G2i (17*) 3w (graphite)Putter 34" Newport Detour

well i can't argue with someone with military experience like yourself..i was just trying to be devils advocate thats all.

I understand where you are coming from. I can see both sides of the coin. I'm pretty liberal but I believe in gun rights. I also run a large gun board (

www.bayoushooter.com ), am a prior Range Saftey Officer and small arms instructor (too bad that doesn't translate to good golf...lol). I see rabid people on both ends of the spectrum. I personally can't stand the people that say that guns shouldn't be regulated and you should have what you want. I believe that the vast majority of people are responsible gun owners. You should get to the range and send at least 500 rounds down range a week. You should make weapon employment second nature. However, you should temper that employment with knowing that you should only use it as last resort. Guns aren't toys.

In my bag you'll find:

SW 256.10 Vokey Black Nickle (56* / 10*) (steel)LW 260.4 Vokey oil can (60* / 4*) (steel)Woods G2i (17*) 3w (graphite)Putter 34" Newport Detour

Divot.......

I believe this was a question...

whats the difference between camping out in the middle of no where and golfing out in the middle of no where?

Here is something you can carry with you..."Don't like the answers, don't ask the questions."

all i know is that if some asshat wanted to do harm to you or your family and he had a weopon, you would either be dead, injured, or robbed. if you had some sort of firearm protection, the likleyhood of coming out of a situation like that would be increase greatly.

Sure...if I carry a gun I may be more likely to come out better than a man with no weapon...but then again, you are talking plausible but highly unlikely events in the first place.

If you are so concerned about the possible death or injury to your family... why don't you stop driving with them in the car . Much safer bet. (84 to 1, compared to 324 to 1 for death by assault by firearm)

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

Holy cow...
I came home for work and this is already on page 5!!!

I need to get to reading..

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Is this a joke?

I assure you, it is not.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

(84 to 1, compared to 324 to 1 for death by assault by firearm)

And this vauge cite is from where...

In my bag you'll find:

I agree that they re not toys.....I'm against anything from the world of work or society being on the golf course-phones, guns, i pods, laptops etc.

But you re right- education about guns, what they do and how to use is important. The golf course is already a battle ground without people carrying round weapons like guns. So in short, im for home protection in the right circumstances but not on the fairways please.

carrying a pistol is like having insurance. you dont want to use your homeowners, car or even life insurance. BUT, if you need it, its there.

Like a spare tire..

I would hate to have to use it, but I carry it anyway.

Treat it like carrying anywhere else, be mindful of your particular states laws regarding facilities that serve alcohol, golf courses that share boundries with school zones, federal property, indian reservations, etc. A good place to start is the NRA Gun Laws page . Two other sites to use as reference that I know of are http://handgunlaw.us/ and http://usacarry.com/ . Still you are responsible for validating this information, typically you would contact the office of the Secretary of State.

I hadn't considered the alcohol thing.

That may be a dealbreaker in some places. Thanks for the VERY informative post!

It's not like we're talking about a bee sting. We're talking about violent crimes. If the rate was 1 in a trillion I would still like to be prepared to protect myself. You've only got one life to live - it's not like you get murdered and then say "oh well, next time I'll do it differently."

The issue is not anxiety..you're right, it is about control.

The issue is about your attempts to control a possible future situation, i.e. the uncontrollable. The situations are just as imagined as the response. Compared to assault by firearm, you are more likely to die... being a passenger in a car by your own firearm falling accidental poisoning or injury Yet...we still drive cars, own guns, climb ladders and so on...

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

They can have my golf clubs and the $20 I have in my pocket.

Goody. I get to go out and buy new clubs!

WITB
Rapture 10.5
looking for my V Steel...wish I hadn't sold it
a3os 7 wood
MX-19 4 - GW MP-R 54, 60Studio Stainless Newport Beach

now, here is a subject that could be debated more widely...

If you're refferring to Dirty Harry, it was a 44 Mag. (a Smith and Wesson model 29 if I remember correctly)

I am totally against gun ownership in society by anyone- all it does is cause proliferation-like nuclear weapons etc.

If everyone thought like you sir, the world would be a better place.

The "wild west" comment aside... I couldn't agree with you more.. If the entire world would put away their weapons of any type we would all be a lot better off. Unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in.

To each his own. I am not an advocate of firearms in anyway shape or form.

Exactly, and if you live in fear at your CC go find one you feel safe at. I love you American's some time, guess I'm lucky not much golf course crime in Scotland
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

The anti-gun people love to make up situations. Their only real weapon is emotion and hyperbole. "Think of all the poor children who get killed," they'll say. Read books by those who have studied facts, not those who want to tug at your heartstrings or cite examples of abuse. For every kid that's killed by a handgun I'll show you several who drown in pools or something.

I also have to wonder how many of the children in their statistics are 17-year old gang members.

However, stupid regulations are just that: stupid. How many shots are fired in an average gun fight? Something like 2.7 or so... so why limit clips to 10? That's a stupid regulation that did nothing but make "criminals" out of people who have never and would never use a gun improperly.

It also increases the statistics of gun crime (in the sense of "crime" being "violating a law").

..my advice to her is- if she can afford a weapon like that she can afford a decent house alarm system linked directly to the police.

So she should pay a large amount upfront and a large amount monthly instead of a small one-time charge and minor maintenance fees? Maybe in other countries, only the rich are entitled to protection. In the United States, everyone is entitled to protection. As for calling the police, they aren't able to respond to every 911 call, and can't always respond promptly when they do.
Go read some books. Read "Armed" by Kleck and Kates first if you can find it, it's as good as any of the others. It also talks about the UK and other countries.

Kleck and Kates, IIRC, were the ones who wanted to set out to prove, definitively, that gun control saved lives and so on. The facts lead them to the exact opposite conclusion. If this book is the one I'm thinking of, it's very worth one's time to read, particularly because their target audience is people who think the way they used to.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It sounds like a recipe for disaster if you keep it in your bag especially at courses that are busy, have bag attendants, places where you would leave your bag to grab a bite at the turn, etc. Just my .02.

First I will answer the OP's question and respond to this quote... I have a CCW and do not carry at the course. The aforementioned quote by Tourspoon makes a good point why I personally don't. That's not to say you can't... just know the laws in relation to the clubhouse and alcohol and any other regulations, and keep the gun in a secure place.

The part about the slow foursome... funny. Of course it is a joke for those who may say "that's why people shouldn't carry... or own guns... blah, blah, blah"
now, here is a subject that could be debated more widely...

I think iacas (Erik) and penguin have already addressed the silly comments such as this... and I thank them. I really don't have the energy for this argument today.

I don't remember if this was a local story, but a few years ago, there was a problem at a course that was adjacent to railroad tracks. There was a secluded hole where kids were robbing people at knife point. There may even have been one instance where one had a gun. I can't remember the specifics. They would then jump the fence and disappear down the tracks.

Thanks for the interesting story and common sense opinion regarding gun rights.

Sure...if I carry a gun I may be more likely to come out better than a man with no weapon...but then again, you are talking plausible but highly unlikely events in the first place.

Well... it's pretty difficult for most people not to drive thier children around... almost impossible in fact. It however is not that difficult to take a ccw class, become competent with a firearm, and be prepared in case of emergency. The world is a dangerous place, but we still have to live in it. Your analogy is poor. I enjoy boating, but I damn sure will make my kids wear a life vest when in a boat. If it is possible and easy to take precautions that could save your life they might be worth taking, but we still need to do things like driving, that are necessities in life... but while driving my kids will be wearing a seatbelt.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 5854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!