IGNORED

Just got my titleist ap1 irons

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm glad to see someone posting a review of the AP1's. I haven't been able to demo them yet, but I'm really anxious to do so.

I'd like to find a set of iron that will allow me to progress with my game, and yet still offer up enough forgiveness for the quite-often occasion where I end up chunking the ball around the course.

My only fear after seeing the AP1's in person is that the head looks pretty large....even more so than the G5's I play now. Has that been an issue hitting out of less than idea lies (i.e...the rough?)

In My Bag

Driver: 907 D1 10.5 Regular flex
3 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19Hybrid: Rescue Dual 225-GW: G5Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 58Putter: White Hot 2-ballBall: Mojo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't like any irons that have something glued on. The x-forged and R7 TP's (maybe some of the top forged irons ever made) would look sooooo much better without their madallions. I think as a club designer, using flashy stickers on an iron is saying, "I give up."

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

I'm glad to see someone posting a review of the AP1's. I haven't been able to demo them yet, but I'm really anxious to do so.

no its nice thru the rough smooth the weight cuts thru it so.... i havent played them yet thru the sand so but im guessing its going to be good also

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

• Administrator
I just don't like any irons that have something glued on. The x-forged and R7 TP's (maybe some of the top forged irons ever made) would look sooooo much better

And they're quite nice looking in person.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll soon be moving on from Big Bertha Irons, so I demoed the Ping i10 seven iron and the Titleist AP1 six. The AP1 looked wider from heel to toe, but shorter than the i10s. During my comparison, I found that the AP1 also returned less sting/tingle to my fingers and was more forgiving on off center hits, while it felt more solid when struck on the sweet spot. I believe the model AP1 I demoed was fitted with a stiff rifle shaft as I remember it having a smooth and uniform exterior all the way down to the head. I'm going to try the AP2s in a few weeks and am looking forward to Erik's review.

Pretty sure it's an aluminum medallion, just like Nike put on their original Pro-Combos and Callaway puts on their X-Forged.

Of course I'm referring to the to the A1's. I'm not sure what your A2's have. If you don't believe me, go to the Titleist mini-site: http://www.titleist.com/microsites/ap/

They call this "feature" "multi-metal construction". Talk about marketing! :)

I'm sorry if I'm offending you or your site sponsors, but I just like a clean looking iron. Which a few years ago, Titleist used to be the best at.

• Administrator
They call this "feature" "multi-metal construction".

Uhm, did you fail to notice the use of tungsten in the sole?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hello. I am new to this site. I actually came across it as I was doing research on reviews and feedback from the new Titleist AP irons.

I am a 7 handicap, and have struggled with my iron play at times. As you all know every day is different....one day you are knocking down the flag with crisp iron play and others your hitting it fat and thin with no confidence over the ball.

Right now I am playing the 755 Titleist, and have had pretty good play with them. I can hit the ball high, low, and with a draw. I have struggled to play a fade. I am just looking to get the new technology in my bag. Feel, forgiveness, and some what workability is important to me....I'm asking for it all right!!!

Do you guys have any thoughts on which is better for me? AP1 or AP2? I love the appearence of the AP2, but feel that the AP1's may be a better fit for off center shots when those bad days arise.

I would love to hear your feedback and support in making the decision.

Thanks and happy to be here!

Paul

• Administrator
Do you guys have any thoughts on which is better for me? AP1 or AP2? I love the appearence of the AP2, but feel that the AP1's may be a better fit for off center shots when those bad days arise.

If you're a 7 handicap you're probably in the AP2 camp, not the AP1 camp.

Uhm, did you fail to notice the use of tungsten in the sole?

I hope the "uhm" isn't meant to be condescending. I'm not trying to bag on you or Titleist. I have some Titleist equipment and wear a Titleist lanyard to work everyday. I think that they make good product, but are headed in the wrong direction making clubs to compete in the same way as TM and Callaway. Maybe I'm a little bit sick that I can't buy irons as sexy as 690's anymore.

If you watch the video on the mini site, they show that the medallion is a separate piece. If you poke at it with a golf tee, it will make a tinney sound. Many club manufactures do this. Depending on the glue and material they use, it can absorb vibrations and change the sound of impact. (I work at Boeing and believe it or not, you'll find similar applications inside an airplane.) Also, to have something that intricate on an iron, you generally have to stamp it after forging or mill it it. The glued on medallion cuts on manufacturing costs, as it's much easier thus cheaper to shape aluminum than carbon steel.

• Administrator
I hope the "uhm" isn't meant to be condescending.

It was, just a little. If you're going to pretend it's the aluminum medallion that results in "multi-material design" and not the tungsten sole weight or the elastomer cavity thing, why, that's just a little bit of a cheap shot.

I think that they make good product, but are headed in the wrong direction making clubs to compete in the same way as TM and Callaway.

And I think they're headed in a good direction. I think the ZM, ZB, AP1, and AP2 form the most cohesive, far-reaching, and best four sets of clubs possible. The lineup is without holes, each set fills a proper niche, and does so quite well.

So you don't like how they look - play the ZM or the ZB. If you don't like how THEY look, keep playing your 690s. Do you really need to keep repeating that you don't like how they look? We get the point by now and others disagree.

i kinda feel like this is going off topic.......
dont knock the irons untill you use them.... thank you

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

I've hit the 4,6,8, and PW in 6.0 Rifle. The conversation has thus far been about asthetics.

• Administrator
I've hit the 4,6,8, and PW in 6.0 Rifle. The conversation has thus far been about asthetics.

To be fair, YOU are the one who kind of diverted the discussion into one that discussed the looks. Prior to that, people were discussing their performance, primarily.

That understood, let's get back to discussing performance.

That understood, let's get back to discussing performance.

Indeed!

Actually I should hopefully have something to post tomorrow night after I try them out.
Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

Would the AP1's and 2's be consider blades or "pro cavitys" 0 think procavitys are like 3/4 blade 1/4 cavity but im not sure

In My Bag:
Driver-G10 10.5 pro launch blue
3 wood-Burner TP 14.5
2i-hibore hybrid 19 stiff
irons-J33bWedges-:54 vokeyFEEL wedge company 60putter- white hot xg #1ball-pro v1

has anyone hit the ap1 or ap2 back to back with a callaway x-forged iron?

Not that I have hit any of these clubs, but I think the x-forged would be more comparable to the ZB or ZM. If you want to compare the APs though I would say AP1 -> X-20 and the AP2 -> X-20 Tours.

Also the Golf.com reviews are up and here is what was said about the AP1. AP1 w/TT DynamicGold HL 4/5 Stars PROS: Misses are pushes or pulls, not hooks or slices; a consistent, predictable ball flight; easy to hit high or low; only the slightly thicker topline at address gives it away as a game-improvement club; reacts to the draw command; subtle, classy look; fairly crisp at impact, the dampening insert cushions impact nicely so there's no harsh vibration; very comfortable on chips. CONS : Not for those players who really want to shape the ball; clubhead can get tangled in thick rough; at times, can be challenging to hit a fade.
Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!