IGNORED

“Modern” vs “Classical” Swing

Note: This thread is 1067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have tried every swing possible over the last thirty years. I used to think I wasted time but I have found as I progressed I have been able to take some of the best of other swing methods and added them to what ever I am playing currently.  Some of my most accurate shots have been with different arm swing techniques. The problem is some of my worst shoots also and the two way misses makes it even harder. Body swing methods have been the only way I have been able to shoot in the 70s. It started with Stack and Tilt and changed to keeping the handle pointing at the left hip and turning back and forward finishing like holding an umbrella. I have now been able to carry over the soft wrists from the arm swing methods. Still it has been 10% shorter than an arm swing but way more repeatable. I think I should stay with the body type swing. Thoughts?

• iacas changed the title to “Modern” vs “Classical” Swing

Hello and welcome to TST. You basically mentioned feels which can be a difficult road to navigate. Feel ain’t real. We all know this. When you say you’ve ‘tried every swing’ was this done with video and instruction? It’s good you’ve found something that has given you good results. But do you really know you’re doing what you think you’re doing or are you just saying your feels in XYZ have helped you? 
Not trying to be cynical just want to make sure we’re on the same page. Have you compared your ‘arm swing’ to your ‘body swing’ with video?

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I’ll add to what @Vinsk has said. You haven’t “tried” every swing. You’ve tried a bunch of different feelings, probably almost none of which you did like you thought you were doing, and you saw some different results.

I also don’t know what this has to do with “modern” or “classic” instruction.

Go find an instructor you can trust and work with him or her.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

When I said I have tried every swing method it was an exaggeration but not much. I have also sought out instructors for what ever I was working with. With regards to classical vs modern I was talking active hand release used for power vs the body squaring the club such as Koepka and Kuchar.

45 minutes ago, Tim Carry said:

When I said I have tried every swing method it was an exaggeration but not much

Well we weren’t really commenting on whether you’ve tried them all but rather how do you know you did the mechanics for those methods properly? I can almost guarantee that f you just YouTubed some methods then have it a go on the range for a few sessions it’s nit really a sound experiment. I see you sought out instruction, but how long did you work with them? Do you have any video? Maybe post some videos in a ‘My Swing’ thread in the Members Swings thread and let’s compare your ‘arm swing’ vs your ‘body swing’. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Tim Carry said:

Thoughts?

I'll give you my honest opinion.

Stop complicating your 30 year journey to a handicap of 19 by misunderstanding swing theories and doing it yourself. You don't have to worry about what Brooks Koepka or Matt Kuchar do. You need to find an instructor who can help you achieve the best technique that works with your individual body's capabilities and what your are prepared to do on the mental side and the work side of things.

There are many golfers who have posted here who seem to have got Adam Scott and Rory McIlroys swings down to an exact replica, yet they still struggle ;-)

Can't say I'm familiar with "modern" and "classic" instruction. That's a very post-modern concept as far as golf teaching goes. :-)

Edited by Shorty
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Tim Carry said:

When I said I have tried every swing method it was an exaggeration but not much. I have also sought out instructors for what ever I was working with.

You missed the point. You have NOT really tried different swings.

And I don’t define “modern” and “classical” swings that way.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!