IGNORED

Putting Practice and Shallow Cups

Note: This thread is 1061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a thought during practice earlier today, and I wanted to ask here.

Is there anything different I should be aware of when I practice to a shallow cup on the practice putting green?

I figure if it starts empty (or has the flagstick / pick up cup in it), I'll make a putt exactly whether or not I'd have made the same putt with a deeper hole (and a flag, if applicable) on the course.  I haven't taken physics in about two decades, but I think my intuition on this is right.

However, when I'm doing a drill that involves making a bunch of short putts, I have occasionally hit one where I felt it would have gone in, except there was a ball there.  On the course, if that happens, it'd probably still go in, because I think the cup on the course is more than one ball deep.  However, some of the ones on the practice surface are shallower, sometimes with even part of the ball peeking up.  

Today, I decided before practice that, when I made a putt, I was going to remove it from the cup before hitting the next practice one, same as if I hit one and it was in the way for the next one.  

Am I imagining this?  Is it a big enough deal that I should remove a ball from the practice cup before hitting the next one?  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great question but, I'd say it's only practice. You're trying to hit your line and speed. Whether or not the ball actually drops is moot, I  think.  Sometimes I just stick a tee in and putt to that - no place for the ball to drop - just practice.

Note: This thread is 1061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!