IGNORED

Monty criticises Masters invite criteria

BASHERBAKER69
Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, let's see, PGA wins in 2007:0; 2006:0; 2005:0; 2004:0; 2003:0; 2002:0; 2001:0. Gee whiz, guys, no majors, either. Sorry Monty, you didn't earn your way into the Masters this year.

Maybe the three other fellows who were issued invitations didn't earn their way into the field either, but the last time I checked, Augusta National is a private club and makes its own rules. They make the rules and bend them, or change them, to suit their needs. If you think that's unfair, that's your opinion, but that's the way it is, like it or not.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Masters is like a big party in my opinion, where all the top celebrities attend..its like not inviting Tom Cruise to a Hollywood awards party (a strange analogy!).

I don't understand why Monty has lost out for commercial gain- Augusta is making a ton of money from this event already, and to cut him out of the event for a few bucks is not equitable in my view.

I have not looked at the field- is Faldo or O Meara playing?

Yes, he is a good player. At who's expense, though? Singh? They both have played, this year, in the same two tournaments. Singh finished tied for 26th and 11th, a total of 18 under par. Monty, finished tied for 65th and 124th, a combined 10 over par. Monty is 38th on the Euro Tour. Singh is ranked 8th.

First we must understand that Monty is very angry at himself for not earning his way in to the Masters, and not getting an invite is just the bitter icing on the cake. However I can see where Monty is coming from, regardless of what the spokespersons from Augusta say, the invitees from Asia are purely to encourage the Asian contingency to watch the Masters which leads to higher ratings and more money. I'm afraid money is the over riding factor in this situation.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

The Masters is like a big party in my opinion, where all the top celebrities attend..its like not inviting Tom Cruise to a Hollywood awards party (a strange analogy!).

I would imagine that O'Meara is playing. Faldo, I'm not so sure.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

It's quite apparent you don't know what your talking about, it is hard to understand pressure, yet alone handle it. Colin did not crack under the pressure as IMO his irons have always been impeccable under pressure, his putter has always let him down. You can not call one bad shot under the most intense pressure a blow up, simply because bad shots can occur regardless of the situation the golfer was in, Monty was unfortunate that him and his caddy chose the wrong club.

Guess thats how you see it being a fanboy. I see it as choking. I am looking at it without caring about Monte. You obviously think highly of him.

Basically the point of this thread is you can't get in the Masters on reputation and even if you could Monte wouldn't be invited.

but Monty has a good reputation with 8, thats 8, European Order of Merit titles...thats probably about 35-45 tournament wins. A couple of years ago he was 2nd on the order of merit. So, we have to accept that he hasnt made it, but it is hard to say that he does not have a virtually unprecedented record of excellence in golf..he has never won on us soil granted, but he has contended several times.

Guess thats how you see it being a fanboy. I see it as choking. I am looking at it without caring about Monte. You obviously think highly of him.

So if a golfer that you thought highly of hit the same shot under pressure that Monty did you would protect him, your making yourself sound more and more clueless with every post.

My support of Monty in the aforementioned US Open has nothing to do with liking him, as it happens I dislike his attitude towards other players and the crowds when he is not playing well. To call it a choke is ridiculous, he played very well that day and hit a bad shot at the wrong time.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

My point was that he should have had an inviation instead of one of the asian players, thats all...hes too good a player to have not been invited.

Monty of 1997 was too good a player not to invite. Where is he on the OWGR if he's such a great player?

I've got one of those "world's greatest golfer" key chains. Do I get an invite too? I heard Zach Johnson considers last year's victory to justify his possession of that key chain.
I don't understand why Monty has lost out for commercial gain- Augusta is making a ton of money from this event already, and to cut him out of the event for a few bucks is not equitable in my view.

He wasn't cut out for a few bucks ; the purse remains the same. And just how much of a profit does Augusta turn for these?

I have not looked at the field- is Faldo or O Meara playing?

Faldo and O'Meara earned their invitations for this year. Monty didn't.

By the way, the invites that were extended will probably do a lot to bring golf to the public consciousness in parts of the world where it is growing. Those three invitations are a great example of golf ambassadorship.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So if a golfer that you thought highly of hit the same shot under pressure that Monty did you would protect him, your making yourself sound more and more clueless with every post.

No your reading comprehension is making you sound clueless. My post was stating if Ernie or Vijay hit that shot, two of my favorite golfers, I would probably have the same blind loyalty you have for Monte.

Oh and if that was not a choke please define choke for me.

choking happens a lot but we re so used to seeing Tiger win, who hardly ever chokes. Now when someone chokes it is a major spectacle. I admit that Monty did choke a little at the US open but not very much..he just made a poor swing with the wrong club..but even Monty does not choke that much with his 8 OOM titles and so on...he never choked in the Ryder Cup.

the best choke ever was Greg Norman at Augusta- that was incredible to watch

other notables not at Augusta ..decided not to play or did not qualify:

Darren Clarke, Seve (he wouldnt break 90), Nick Faldo, JJ Henry, JD, Duval, DL III, Rory McIlroy, Paul McGinley, Phil Price, Chris Di Marco.....

It is very arrogant to call the European Tour the B League..the purses may not be as consistently as large but the quality of player on this tour is as good as on the PGA tour- recent Ryder Cup performances show this.

Not to mention one euro is like 18 dollars right now

Seriously, a Euro purse would only need to be E 742,875.00 to equal Romero's $1.1mil first prize last week. We need a new president NOW. Back to topic: How EXACTLY does order of merit figure into the Masters invitations anyway? who knows this?

Not to mention one euro is like 18 dollars right now

Bush thought that by devaluing the dollar it would encourage foreign investment and thus stimulate the economy through jobs, etc.

obviously it has not worked... problem is I place little hope in any of the three presidential candidates. (we are officially screwed) I grew up near Detroit and often went to Canada... the real weird thing is that the Canadian dollar is about equal to the US right now... only about a decade ago it was 1 : 1.60 or so. Hell, we may as well make our dollars out of coins now too... they aren't worth anything.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I think that Mr. Montgomerie is a little jealous...If Monty wants to play in the Masters soo bad-then Ill say--Monty come and play the PGA Tour

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!