IGNORED

Please suggest - Iron Set?

Note: This thread is 5865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started this great game last year, ended up playing almost once a week.

My swing has got pretty consistent now and I am hoping to improve a lot this season and break the 100 barrier. I am looking to buy something good that can last me a few years. After a lot of research and trying out clubs at local golf store, I shortlisted Callaway Big Bertha and Ping G10.

I also tried hitting a few shots with Callaway X-20 and felt really good and confident. I got really inclined towards these, until the person at golf store told me that these are probably not for someone who started playing last year. I could feel very little difference between these 3 in the store, but I understand that BigBertha and G10 far more forgiving than X-20.

Please advice what you think is more appropriate at this stage for me. Could X-20s less forgiveness hamper my game or will it help me learn faster "the perfect shot" on the sweet spot.

If not X20, which one out of Big Bertha or G10 do you recommend?

In my opinion, the Big Bertha will hamper your game as they are extremely forgiving and you wont learn your true swing by going to those. I've never been a ping fan but I know they're good clubs. Out of the three, the x20's will be the set that doesnt hamper your game out of the three but will better refine it. I just went from TM r7 irons (draws) with a graphite shaft to the set in my signature. Those clubs are forged and forged clubs are the least forgiving clubs out there, but, i'm really starting to learn my swing with these clubs. I've only had them for three months and have yet to play a round with them, but i'm seeing changes on the driving range in my swing that i'm getting excited about (last week I hit my first true fade with a 6 iron and i was just amazed). I couldnt convince my cousin to get the x20 tours and he ended up getting the x20's (mainly because he's tall and not that flexible). I would say if you're deadset and sold on those three, then the x20's. I would recommend the Mizunos and the TaylorMade r7s (non draw). Hope this helps...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

Taylormade's rac series of irons are very good sticks. Cant go wrong with them. Ive never been a big fan of Callaway irons, even though their x-forged irons are f**king amazing..Thinking about getting a set perhaps next year.

Titiest's new AP1's might suit you as well, though they are a little on the expensive side. They are a good intermedaite club between game improvement and a players iron.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Don't listen to the salesguy. If you like the look and feel of the X20 and can swing it well then go with it.

Also like mutadayen said if you are serious about getting better stick with the GI type clubs (X-20, G10, r7, AP1) and away from the SGI irons (Bertha) as the clubs will last you a good deal longer.
Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

DavidFehertysBike - Ive never been a big fan of Callaway irons, even though their x-forged irons are f**king amazing..

Couldn't have said it better myself! Not a Callaway fan by any means and marginally liked their x-tours from a couple of years ago but the X-Forged are sweet!

Back on topic..... I worked golf retail for 14 years and there was 1 rule I had when selling people clubs, make honest suggestions but sell them what they want! They will be much happier and you will get repeat business from them. As for you wanting the X-20, go for it! Consider ordering a 5-SW and maybe add a 3 & 4 hybrid irons. If the clubs look good and feel good to you, just get them! Kevin
In the Bag:
ADAMS XTD 10.5 (S) 46"
Mizuno F-50 4-wood NV-65
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19° & 22°
TaylorMade X-300 FCI 5-pw Rifle 6.0 +1 4upCleveland 588 RTG 52° & 56° 3 upOdyssey 2-ball LONG cut to 40"

To say that SGI's won't let you develop your true swing is just plain stupid.....that's the dumbest thing I have heard yet..

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a dumb thing to say, nor would I say it's a great thing to say. SGIs give you the forgiveness you need to develop your all-around game and still enjoy the meantime. There's a reason you won't enjoy it starting with blades.

That having been said, when you have a decent all-around game, move up to Game Improvement or Swing Improvement ("Players'") irons. However, top priority is clubs that look good and feel good to you.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a dumb thing to say, nor would I say it's a great thing to say. SGIs give you the forgiveness you need to develop your all-around game and still enjoy the meantime. There's a reason you won't enjoy it starting with blades.

Someone posted that having SGI's would interfere with learning a true swing...absolute BS...swing plane, shoulder turn, impact position, ball position, posture..etc etc. have nothing to do with certain types of clubs. You get those things down(as you should) it doesn't matter what clubs your using.

Also... to say anything other than players irons would hamper your progress is just ridiculous...considering progress for some may take years.....by then you will have some experience to know what to look for yourself and what your personal needs might or might not be....not every single digit HC plays players irons...and yet they still consistently score low... A club is a club when it comes down to it....IMO the differences are subtle...there is only so much you can do when it comes to the construction of heads. I do agree 100% with you on buying what feels right to you.....I would even go as far to say ignore the catagory they are in... Whew...

With GI irons you lose a lot of touch & feel around the greens (8-PW) while the longer GI irons (3-5) shine due to the sole usually being wider, increasing launch angle and distance and making shots out of the deep grass a little easier.

larlev - I do agree 100% with you on buying what feels right to you.....I would even go as far to say ignore the catagory they are in...

Very true. With only a few exceptions, most golfers can easily handle playing players clubs (5-PW).

In the Bag:
ADAMS XTD 10.5 (S) 46"
Mizuno F-50 4-wood NV-65
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19° & 22°
TaylorMade X-300 FCI 5-pw Rifle 6.0 +1 4upCleveland 588 RTG 52° & 56° 3 upOdyssey 2-ball LONG cut to 40"

Note: This thread is 5865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!