IGNORED

-=Tall Guy Equipment Help=-

Note: This thread is 5868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alright guys I’ve been a long time Lurker and have gotten lots of great advice killing time on this forum.

I need some help as far as selecting clubs.

I’m 6ft 6inch (210pounds) and I’m still using a no brand set of golf clubs made from a pro shop when I was around 14 years old. The golf clubs are 767 which you can find here
http://www.globalgolf.com/product/go...ign=gglbase-gg

Using these clubs I’m around a 12-14 stroke handicap.

I know golf is mostly mental, so I can’t get away from going with either Ping or Calloway clubs.

I’m also a lefty when it comes to Golf, Hockey, baseball but I’m a righty when it comes to writing and other sports.

My biggest problem right now are my clubs are to small. I only use a 3 wood because I can consistently hit it 250-270 dead straight but when I try to hit my Taylormade Bubble 2 driver it boomerangs to the left.

Being a Taller Guy I’m not sure if shaft length or club angle is the most important.

Any Feedback would be great, thanks guys.

Get measured again. You really need to get both the shaft length and the lie correct when getting clubs fitted. I don't really think you can get the correct lie without the correct shaft length, because you'd have to compensate with your stance to get the club to sit right.

If you're pulling the driver, but nothing left, you're probably either putting the ball too far forward or holding your wrists too long instead of allowing them to break naturally...or who knows...could be both.

-----------------------------------------------------
Driver - MX560 10.5 stiff
Hybrid Tour Edge rescue 18 degree
Irons - Knife 3-PW
Wedge - SV Tour 58 deg.Putter - Harmonized 425 Soft TouchBall - e6+or Feel

Get measured again. You really need to get both the shaft length and the lie correct when getting clubs fitted. I don't really think you can get the correct lie without the correct shaft length, because you'd have to compensate with your stance to get the club to sit right.

I definitely plan on getting measured again. The only bad thing is where I'm from it cost 75 dollars to get measured with their machine and the whole nine yards. They credit you back the 75 dollars if you buy irons from them but their way over price compared to any other reputable place.

Should I just eat the 75 dollars and bring the measurements with me to another place to fit me for clubs? Or just let another pro fit me the old school way?

I definitely plan on getting measured again. The only bad thing is where I'm from it cost 75 dollars to get measured with their machine and the whole nine yards. They credit you back the 75 dollars if you buy irons from them but their way over price compared to any other reputable place.

Goto Golfsmith.com you can enter your measurements and get the clubs you want shipped.

Driver:  Ping G15 9* with Talamonti 70x shaft
3 Wood/Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue TP 17*
3-PW Irons:  Ping G15 Green Dot KBS 90 shafts
Gap Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTG
Sand Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGLob Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGPutter:  OdysseyBall:  Bridgestone 330-RXS or 330-SBag:  Generic

Inputing your specs (swing speed, wrist to floor, height) to a website will give you a close range of what you might need but it's not exact system, getting fit by someone who knows what he/she is doing is a major plus! I just went through the Golfsmith's Smart/Fit fitting system (I am 6'6, play irons +1, 5* upright, stiff flex (I have a 3/4 swing)) and it told me I should play +3/4, 3* upright, X-Stiff), close, but not quite.

I have worked golf retail and have fitted hundreds of golfers so I can understand the $75 charge if the fitting includes time on the launch monitor, getting fit for irons, wedges and woods. Find a local pro or teaching professional at a course/driving range to see if they can fit you off a lie board. It's low tech but it will tell you exactly what you need. Should only take 10-15 minutes, maybe they won't even charge you!

PM me if you have any questions.

Kevin
In the Bag:
ADAMS XTD 10.5 (S) 46"
Mizuno F-50 4-wood NV-65
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19° & 22°
TaylorMade X-300 FCI 5-pw Rifle 6.0 +1 4upCleveland 588 RTG 52° & 56° 3 upOdyssey 2-ball LONG cut to 40"

Inputing your specs (swing speed, wrist to floor, height) to a website will give you a close range of what you might need but it's not exact system, getting fit by someone who knows what he/she is doing is a major plus! I just went through the Golfsmith's Smart/Fit fitting system (I am 6'6, play irons +1, 5* upright, stiff flex (I have a 3/4 swing)) and it told me I should play +3/4, 3* upright, X-Stiff), close, but not quite.

I could not have said it better myself... I'm 6'4" so I'm in the ballpark with you guys. I play +3/4 and 2* upright... and I was fitted in person for free (as long as I bought clubs). The online stuff will get you close, and if you know what shaft flex you need you could do this and then have them adjusted (the lie) when you get them if necessary.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 5868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!