IGNORED

Getting Better With or Without an Instructor ?

trod
Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don’t sign in very often, I read posts everyday, learn a lot about golf on here. Was going to give a little info about my experience with a golf instructor. I’m 58 years old, been playing about 8 years. Never got any help professionally, thought it might ruin my game, I heard that alot. I’ve taken 2 lessons from GOLFTEC in Dallas, Tx. We’ve just worked on a couple of things so far and I can’t believe the improvement. I’ve watched tons of videos, bought the newest and latest, greatest clubs but my game stayed the same. In just 2 lessons I’ve gained a club length with all my irons and the consistency is so much better. My post is really just to give my experience, and advise instead of spending all your money on the newest equipment to improve, the cheaper route might be with a good instructor. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello and welcome to TST. I’m glad you’ve found some good instruction. Two lessons with improvement at that level probably isn’t common. I’m curious what you mean by ‘improved consistency’ as far as a time frame. A range session? Or have you had better ball striking over days/weeks since those two lessons? I definitely support spending money on good instruction over equipment changes. Maybe tell us what you changed? What were your faults that you improved? Cheers!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We’ve only worked with irons so far, not sure we’re we’ll end up. 1rst lesson: He said I swayed to the rear foot and didn’t transfer weight properly, we worked on drills that would help that. That’s made a huge difference. 2nd lesson: worked on swing path, that’s improving but the better weight shift has been the biggest improvement. He said I could get worse before getting better, just need to be commited. So far it’s been mostly better, my iron play could be very inconsistent and it’s improved, my current handicap is 18. Hitting more greens in regulation. I just think without instruction I was working on the wrong things. 

The best thing to get from a good instructor is what to practice.  It sounds like your instructor gave you drills to work on - great.  

When I was working on things without an instructor, I had no idea what to work on -- and I was probably working on the wrong things, too.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Instruction worked for me.  I am encouraging my struggling friends to do the same.  You need an instructor to identify your problems and give drills to fix them.  As Harvey Penick said in his Little Red Book and I’m paraphrasing, what you would find in six months of experimenting on the range a good instructor can identify in five minutes.  

We’ve only worked with irons so far, not sure we’re we’ll end up. 1rst lesson: He said I swayed to the rear foot and didn’t transfer weight properly, we worked on drills that would help that. That’s made a huge difference. 2nd lesson: worked on swing path, that’s improving but the better weight shift has been the biggest improvement. He said I could get worse before getting better, just need to be commited. So far it’s been mostly better, my iron play could be very inconsistent and it’s improved, my current handicap is 18. Hitting more greens in regulation. I just think without instruction I was working on the wrong things. 

4 hours ago, gjunkie57 said:

Instruction worked for me.  I am encouraging my struggling friends to do the same.  You need an instructor to identify your problems and give drills to fix them.  As Harvey Penick said in his Little Red Book and I’m paraphrasing, what you would find in six months of experimenting on the range a good instructor can identify in five minutes.  

That was me, constantly working on what I thought I was needing, never thought I needed work on my weight shift, instructor immediately seen that was a major issue, I’m disappointed I waited so long. I’m sure some guys can do it without help, I thought I could, but I was wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!