IGNORED

Beginners Equipment?

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I missed a good thread for this, lemme know Didn't see one though, so I thought I'd post up where I'm at.

Been to driving ranges, pitch and putt, etc, but really want to get into the game for a long while now - its been several years since I've even been to a range. Just moved, and now I've got a golf course in town. In other words, I'm going to play golf asap

So, equipment-wise, here is what I have:

1) Set of clubs, borrowed from my dad (a few years old, he doesn't use them) w/ bag
2) Practice whiffle golf balls
3) Cheap shoes to start
4) Chipping practice net
5) A boatload of random custom logo balls (discount is my friend)

I don't have the property to whack out balls over a distance from home, so I'm figuring on practicing with the net mostly while home. Maybe putting on the carpet too :)

There is a driving range at the golf course in town. So, any ideas on any other good basics to start, or am I set enough to tee off once I feel ready?

Thanks!

Everything you are talking about sounds good. The sooner you get out there and play the better you will know what parts of your game need work. You dont need to wait until you are a 5 handicap to get out there and play.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Definitely not going for that single-digit handicap - I just want to spend some time at the range and such to practice. Mostly so I can feel comfortable knowing I will likely make contact with the ball, regardless of how far it'll go or how accurate ;)

I understand, I just didnt want you to think that you have to be a great golfer to go out and play a round. Using a net in your yard and just focusing on making good contact will help you out alot. Then when you go to the range you can see what kind of ball flight you are getting. If you are slicing, or hooking etc.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

get your friends to play with you but always stay one step a head of them that way you seem good... It does wonders for your ego...

well thats what i do anyways.

get your friends to play with you but always stay one step a head of them that way you seem good... It does wonders for your ego...

It certainly would make reserving tee time easier at the local course - but! just moved, don't really know anyone yet, and my friends who don't live close also don't play golf

Thats okay though, I'm sure I'll meet some equally new (or atleast accepting of a newbie like me) people while testing myself out on the course :)

One thing I would recommend though is getting some foam-style practice balls. Both of these are good:

Callaway HX-Practice Ball
Almost Golf Practice Ball

The nice things about these is that they actually act like a real golf ball so you get a much better idea than hitting into a net. And since they are foam-like you aren't going to get the distance so it's easier to practice in smaller spaces and you can bang them into your house without any real fear of damage.
Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

i play with foam balls in the winter i hit them with my lob wedge but i hate the fact that they spin way to much it throws my spin control way of. After playing with them you think you can stick any green.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

Lessons. I suggest signing up for group lessons or a couple private with the Pro at the range. They will get your grip and stance started off correctly so you don't start learning bad habits and spend the rest of your life getting rid of them.

I don't know about the net thing. My problem is if you can't see the ball fly, how do you know you hit it correctly and if you're not hitting it right, you will in-grain a bad swing. You will perfect a terrible golf swing.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!