IGNORED

Who's Your Pick for the Stanley Cup?

gogolfing
Note: This thread is 5822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Penguins in six...

I agree, I just think they are the best over-all team, but this is clearly a match-up of the 2 best teams in their Conference that I can remember in along while...should be exciting... Let's Go Flyers.......

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I just think they are the best over-all team, but this is clearly a match-up of the 2 best teams in their Conference that I can remember in along while...should be exciting...

I think the Red Wings will be the best defensive and offensive team the Penguins have faced in the playoffs, and Fleury is the key. Hopefully he will play as well this series as the others, and not fold due to pressure and youth. I give Osgood/Hasek the edge in goal, Wings defense a slight edge (only because the Penguins D has been great this post season), and the Wings a big edge in experience. Zetterburg and Datsyuk (sp?) and Malkin/Crosby are a wash IMO. My key player is Hossa. If he goes off, watch out. I give my overall edge to the fearless youth, athleticism, and size to the Penguins. Of course these are just my opinions, subject to change with no notice whatsoever.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I think the Red Wings will be the best defensive and offensive team the Penguins have faced in the playoffs, and Fleury is the key. Hopefully he will play as well this series as the others, and not fold due to pressure and youth. I give Osgood/Hasek the edge in goal, Wings defense a slight edge (only because the Penguins D has been great this post season), and the Wings a big edge in experience. Zetterburg and Datsyuk (sp?) and Malkin/Crosby are a wash IMO. My key player is Hossa. If he goes off, watch out. I give my overall edge to the fearless youth, athleticism, and size to the Penguins. Of course these are just my opinions, subject to change with no notice whatsoever.

Good assessment and good spelling. If Hasek ends up back in net, Detroit are in trouble. His snow angel routine is done. Hossa will be significant for them. I also think Staal could play a big role with his size and skills. At the same time, guys like Franzen and Holmstrom can make Fleury's life miserable.

I think a lot of people are assuming the Wings are not hungry because they have won 3 cups in the last 11 years. Don't underestimate guys like Osgood who is trying to prove he can win it again. He was run out of town in 2001 when Dom was available and blamed for years about not being a top goalie. Guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg want to prove they can lead a team to the cup and Lidstrom wants to be the first European captain to win a cup. Dallas Drake has never played in a cup final in his 17 year career and McCarty is a great redemption story. I can't wait. This is going to be a great series. Pittsburgh has been great in the playoffs and the Wings have looked unbeatable at times.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Go Pens!!
In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

The Penguins are talented, but they flat out don't have enough experience to beat the Wings of all teams in the playoffs. I like the things I've been reading about Hossa, I think he will be a key player, but my eye will be on Crosby, if he can show some maturity and step up to the plate against a team with such two-way firepower like Detroit, then the Wings might have some trouble.

The way the Pens have Malkin and Crosby seperated could cause trouble for the Wings, but with the Euro Twins (Datsyuk and Zetterberg), both of whom, I might add, are nominated for the Selke Trophy (best defensive forward) locking down either one of them, and the Wing's tenacious checking line, the other, not to mention Nicklas Lidstrom, whose 6th Norris Trophy is ready to grace his mantle yet again, playing 30 minutes a game...I just can't see the Pens lasting more than 6 games against a team so dominant.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

Pens are more fun to watch but Wings got more experince and want it as bad as Pens if not more - this year is probably the last season for quite a few guys on the roster and who wouldn't want to retire as a champ. Wings in 6.

• Administrator
The Penguins are talented, but they flat out don't have enough experience to beat the Wings of all teams in the playoffs.

Honestly, what's "experience" really got to do with it? About the only thing they haven't "experienced" is losing much lately, but they got that last year in spades in the playoffs.

They've over-come a 3-goal deficit in the playoffs - almost twice - to win. They've won defensive games (and lost one, too). They've had shutouts. They've had blowouts. They've adjusted to the tempo, to the added pressure, and the added physical play. They've overcome disallowed goals in close games, have had a great power play and penalty kill, and done everything they need to do to win games. You could even say they've played better than the Red Wings (ignoring any subtle differences in the two conferences) in the playoffs, so where's the experience (not) showing up there? And if experience matters, sometimes it's great to be ignorant too. These guys may be too young to know how big what winning the Stanley Cup will mean to them. In other words, I don't think experience matters for shit (nor does inexperience). Sure it's one of those things announcers like to talk about, but these guys have been playing hockey for 10-15 years, most of that at the top levels available to them. The Penguins have been playing solid hockey, as has Detroit, and I expect that to continue. Please don't fall into the trap of "experience" or other things the announcers will talk about. I think knowing how to deal with being in the lead can affect a golfer new to the spotlight, but hockey isn't quite the same. It's too reactionary to really get nervous, and they are in these positions every day. It's just a hockey game, and both teams want to win - just like they always have. I've played playoff hockey (obviously not NHL, but analogous) and high-level golf. The comparisons between "experience" aren't even close to the same. In golf it matters. In hockey, not so much. Oh, and "experience" usually means old. In a sport where third-period energy matters, sometimes it's beneficial to be short on "experience" if you get my drift. Crosby made a comment in the Rangers game about how tired the Rangers were in the second and third periods.
I like the things I've been reading about Hossa, I think he will be a key player, but my eye will be on Crosby, if he can show some maturity and step up to the plate against a team with such two-way firepower like Detroit, then the Wings might have some trouble.

I like this series, and I agree with those who are calling it the best showdown since 1994 precisely because BOTH teams are full of great two-way players. We could see exciting 1-0 games and exciting 6-5 games. We don't know. Both teams can play defense when they have to, and both can score a load of goals when they want to. Both teams are incredibly evenly matched. I think that, regardless of the outcome of this series, if you played best-of-99, neither team would win (or lose) by more than about five games.

The way the Pens have Malkin and Crosby seperated could cause trouble for the Wings, but with the Euro Twins (Datsyuk and Zetterberg), both of whom, I might add, are nominated for the Selke Trophy (best defensive forward) locking down either one of them, and the Wing's tenacious checking line, the other, not to mention Nicklas Lidstrom, whose 6th Norris Trophy is ready to grace his mantle yet again, playing 30 minutes a game...I just can't see the Pens lasting more than 6 games against a team so dominant.

Ahhh, homerism.

Needless to say, I'm going with the Pens. In 5.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pens are more fun to watch but Wings got more experince and want it as bad as Pens if not more - this year is probably the last season for quite a few guys on the roster and who wouldn't want to retire as a champ. Wings in 6.

Pens have been playing the trap...which totally sucks to watch, only interesting when you get an odd man break from a turn over. While Cindy Crosby is fun to watch, the wings puck control (and I hate the Wings) is more fun to watch, crisp passing to set up one timers, much more fun.

Wings in 5.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

I'm with iacas on this 1 (and agreeing with him is a rare situation for me ) what's experience got to do with anything....I mean in all of sports all you hear is experience this and that bluh bluh bluh.....every game is different and personally speaking pressure has been known to screw alot of things up, and those with the "EXPERIENCE LABEL" seem to have all the pressure on them, if anything the Wings are expected to win this series because of their age and "EXPERIENCE", the Pens have nothing to lose imho thus no pressure at all and able to win this series.....

• Administrator
Pens have been playing the trap...which totally sucks to watch, only interesting when you get an odd man break from a turn over. While Cindy Crosby is fun to watch, the wings puck control (and I hate the Wings) is more fun to watch, crisp passing to set up one timers, much more fun.

You haven't watched the Penguins much, have you?

A trap's got little to nothing to do with how you run your offense, and a whole lot of people have called the Penguins a puck control offense, too. They've also got a pretty high shooting percentage... because they control the puck to set up better shot opportunities than most other teams who just try to throw a bunch of pucks at the net. Hardy har, "Cindy Crosby." That's original. You must be the first person to think of that one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very true. The trap is defense. They are a puck possession team, much like the Wings. The way the two teams pass and skate will make for some very enjoyable hockey. Both teams have multiple lines that can score. I tend to agree with "experience" being overrated. The only place it plays a big role is knowing when not to retaliate and maybe not getting too emotionally up or down when you are leading or trailing. Still, sometimes being young and not knowing any better can serve just as well. Based on the playoffs and regular season, the two best teams are still playing.

Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I guess people have been right here who have said experience counts for nothing; Pens put in Roberts tonight and it amounted to nothing!

As for the Pens being a puck control team, they're getting a clinic on it from the Wings.

I've been most impressed with the Wings discipline, not buying into anything the Pens try to stir up. My opinion of Mike Babcock has gone up greatly this post season; I would like to see him involved with Canada's Olympic team for 2010.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Wow. The Wings are playing awesome! It looks like there are 10 of them on the ice at all times....even when short handed.

Hopefully the Pens can get it turned around in a hurry!

Wow. The Wings are playing awesome! It looks like there are 10 of them on the ice at all times....even when short handed.

The scary thing is, as well as the Wings have played, they are still giving up too many chances. They have been the best team in Hockey all year and it is showing now. The series is not over...yet, but it has not been close. The most underrated part of this team is their defense. They are great skaters and are rarely out of position. It's hard to call the team with the best record in hockey underrated, but there were very few "experts" that picked them at the start of the playoffs. Even at the start of this series, they were picking Pittsburgh.

I haven't been watching the Pens a lot, but as for the trap, I was listening to Scotty Bowman talk the other day, and he said that you have to consider the trap as an offensive style of play (and he was talking about the Pens) becuase of the turnovers it tends to generate. He did not say it was exclusively offensive, which it is not, I mean no one ever accused the Devils of being an offensive juggernaught.

As for the name calling of "the next one", I cannot take credit for that, but the best players always take a hard rap . Although watching sportscenter this morning in the post game interviews, he did seem to be whining, but going two down and being shut out for six periods can do that.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

I haven't been watching the Pens a lot, but as for the trap, I was listening to Scotty Bowman talk the other day, and he said that you have to consider the trap as an offensive style of play (and he was talking about the Pens) becuase of the turnovers it tends to generate. He did not say it was exclusively offensive, which it is not, I mean no one ever accused the Devils of being an offensive juggernaught.

Crosby is a phenomenal talent. He is already one of the best in the game and has the makings of one of the real special players you only see once every 10 years. However, right now he is at best the 4th best player in the series behind Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom. These guys are dominant at both ends of the ice. It's very rare when a teams number one line is also it's best defensive group.

First of all, I'm a big Pens fan so I'm a little disappointed at how this series has started.

I have to give Detroit credit though. Man they look good. I've seen very few, if any, teams give Pittsburgh this much trouble all season. Detroit is just everywhere. I agree with the poster that said it looks like they have 10 guys on the ice.

I think the Pens can still win this series by taking care of business at home at getting back into it. That said, they need to figure out a way to create space. Right now they just look rattled. Their passes have been anything but crisp and they can't seem to get through the neutral zone cleanly. Again, give Detroit some credit here, but I see Pittsburgh doing some things like mishandling pucks and poor passes that are slowing them down in transition.
In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

Note: This thread is 5822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!