IGNORED

Lagshot Training Aid (with Before/After Video)

ZANDER1994
Note: This thread is 853 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing golf for 4-5 years and am currently a 15 handicap. I struggle with a steep, over the top swing and an overly strong grip. My shot shape is generally a straight pull. I can easily hit a high fade or a pull hook but can count on one hand the amount of times I've ever hit a high draw. I'm taking a series of lessons over the winter (I've had two so far) to change some things and I bought a couple training aids including the Plane Mate, the Swingyde and now the Lagshot. I also already owned a Momentus weighted club, which I keep in the car for practice swings before rounds to loosen up and in case I have road rage on the way home (just kidding 😄).

Today was my first time using the Lagshot and all I can say is WOW. To explain this aid, it is essentially a slightly weighted club that has a whippy shaft, similar to the orange ball training aids, but you can actually hit balls with it because it has a clubhead at the end. The marketing primarily focuses on this helping people smooth out their swing in terms of timing, loading the shaft and creating lag. Personally, I was much more interested in this aid after seeing several people comment it made them start hitting hooks. It seems for many slicers, it taught them to close the face sooner on the downswing and pause at the top, lessening their tendency to come over the top.

When using other training aids like the Plane Mate or the Swingyde, I've often found myself questioning if I am "doing it right". I have always liked the Momentus because you simply can't use it incorrectly. I immediately liked the Lagshot because it is painfully obvious when you are doing it wrong and gratifyingly clear when you get it right. My first 20 minutes with the Lagshot it was obvious to me I was indeed swinging it wrong. I couldn't hit the ball. I was topping it, shanking it, and hitting dead right pushes. I was happy though that this was the case, because basically it proved to me I had to change the way I was swinging to hit the ball straight. I kept at it for about 30-40 swings, hitting lots of chip shots in-between before it finally clicked. To hit the ball flush, in my head I had to feel like I was swinging through the red X below (slightly inside the ball) and shutting the face through impact with that X.

After that clicked, I hit maybe 40 pure shots in a row with the Lagshot. When I switched back to my irons, things felt good. It was very easy to continue swinging the same swing I had been with the Lagshot, and make solid impact with my regular clubs. Now at first, I thought maybe the reason things felt good was just because of the weight of the Lagshot. Whenever I switch to my regular clubs after swinging the Momentus, I feel powerful and confident because that club is heavy and switching back to something lighter just feels good. But when I saw my swing on camera, it was clear that a) my rhythm was significantly better and b) I was swinging much less over the top! 

I'm very excited to try this training aid outdoors come this Spring. Unfortunately today, my apartment's simulator was down so I could not see ball flight. But I think that may have actually been a blessing because I did not concern myself with ball flight whilst practicing with the Lagshot today, allowing me to focus on mechanics. I will post more updates as I continue to use this aid, but for now I just wanted to post a video of my swing before the lagshot (the first video is from about 2 months ago) and a video of me after the lagshot (today) so you can see the difference I saw. I have a feeling this training aid is a winner for me and one I will use a lot!

image.thumb.png.65d8ac1495694c2ca29b45d060ee278c.png 

• iacas changed the title to Lagshot Training Aid (with Before/After Video)
  • Administrator

I don't want to burst your bubble, but those aren't really going to be draws you'll like on the course. The camera angle is bad, and the image on the right will appear to be from the inside, but you're steep, you throw the club down behind your hands a little while you shift your hands out a bit too quickly, and then the club flips around the corner and gets outside the ball before impact.

I'd look at your setup (weight well into the heels) and some other things.

I think the LagShot can help you, sure, and these swings are definitely different and probably a bit better (I hesitate to say much when it's regular speed from bad angles).

01.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 853 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!