IGNORED

103 Bits of Advice

iacas

• Administrator
og_default_1200.png

Today is my birthday. I turn 70. I've learned a few things so far that might be helpful to others. For the past few years, I've jotted down bits of unsolicited advice each year and much to my surprise I

Today is my birthday. I turn 70. I’ve learned a few things so far that might be helpful to others. For the past few years, I’ve jotted down bits of unsolicited advice each year and much to my surprise I have more to add this year. So here is my birthday gift to you all: 103 bits of wisdom I wish I had known when I was young.

I like these:

• Three things you need: The ability to not give up something till it works, the ability to give up something that does not work, and the trust in other people to help you distinguish between the two. - Applies to golf lessons too.
  • Don't keep making the same mistakes; try to make new mistakes. - I have an email signature that's similar.
  • There is no such thing as being “on time.” You are either late or you are early. Your choice. - I'm early.
  • Immediately pay what you owe to vendors, workers, contractors. They will go out of their way to work with you first next time. - I hate owing people money. I have some vendors who are so slow to give me a bill. When they do, I pay immediately. I've had to track some of them down. That's annoying.
  • The best way to get a correct answer on the internet is to post an obviously wrong answer and wait for someone to correct you. - I feel like people try that here. 😉
  • Denying or deflecting a compliment is rude. Accept it with thanks, even if you believe it is not deserved. - I stink at this.
  • Make stuff that is good for people to have. - LSW? 😄
  • Thank a teacher who changed your life. - I wrote letters to a few teachers when I graduated high school. I'm the son of a teacher, a husband to a teacher, and I teach (golf) and my daughter wants to.
  • You cant reason someone out of a notion that they didn’t reason themselves into. - I have to remember that more. Oldie but a goodie.
  • When negotiating, dont aim for a bigger piece of the pie; aim to create a bigger pie. - "I want to pay a million dollars in taxes some day."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very nice.   Thanks for sharing.   There are some very good tidbits there.

Congrats on aging so well..... :banana:.     I know, I know.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

There is no such thing as being “on time.” You are either late or you are early. Your choice. - I'm early.

Same, I try to be early all the time. 

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

Denying or deflecting a compliment is rude. Accept it with thanks, even if you believe it is not deserved. - I stink at this.

I can understand that, but man I like to avoid getting praised or given a compliment for some reason. It just feels awkward. It's really tough for me to just say thank you.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: