IGNORED

Anyone use lead tape on irons?

kekoa
Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys, i just cut 1/2" off my irons and it seems like the weight went down a full swing weight. Not sure i like the feeling. Anybody use lead tape on irons and does it mess the club up in any way? i just want to go up about .5 to 1 full swing weight.

thanks

Guys, i just cut 1/2" off my irons and it seems like the weight went down a full swing weight. Not sure i like the feeling. Anybody use lead tape on irons and does it mess the club up in any way? i just want to go up about .5 to 1 full swing weight.

It depends what you mean by mess up. If you put the lead on the low part of the club it will lower the center of gravity and cause a higher launch. Adding it to the top of the clubhead will raise the center of gravity and cause a lower launch. Adding it to the toe or heel will make it more likely the head will swing open or swing shut depending on where it is placed. If you aren't careful about how you apply it you could end up altering the ball flight in a way you don't want.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

It depends what you mean by mess up. If you put the lead on the low part of the club it will lower the center of gravity and cause a higher launch. Adding it to the top of the clubhead will raise the center of gravity and cause a lower launch. Adding it to the toe or heel will make it more likely the head will swing open or swing shut depending on where it is placed. If you aren't careful about how you apply it you could end up altering the ball flight in a way you don't want.

This is exactly right... tape can have an impact on ball flight. A clubmaker could add weight inside the shaft, but this would require regripping or reshafting, but it would hold up better.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

As was said previously, make sure you put the lead tape in the middle of the club unless you want to alter your trajectory. I recently put some lead tape on the back of my five-iron after I measured the swingweights on my irons. Every club in my set measured about a D4, except my 5 iron, which measured a D2. I put some lead tape on to correct it and it now feels much better. I didn't notice a trajectory change either.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

thanks guys. thats what i was afraid of.

I am going to play with these clubs for a month and possibly return them to callaway for stock shafts if I'm unable to dial these in.

it depends on the iron... but generally start at the lower middle (not the bottom, but a little lower than center) of the back of the iron... of course on some irons this is tough. If I was adding weight to the iron in my avatar... I would place tape just above the sole ridge on the back of the cavity.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!