IGNORED

The masters is too fabricated

Borf
Note: This thread is 5862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It has nothign to do with the word itself but instead the snotty attitude that surrounds the event as a whole. To me, that attitude completely takes away from the game.

Can you give some examples of said "snottyness?"

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The annoying music and the bullshit sycophantic behavior of the telecast hosts are really the only things that bother me about the tournament in itself. Butler cabins...who gives a damn? Besides being expertly manicured with nice scenery there is nothing about the golf course that really blows me away. I think people get caught up in the exclusivity of the place and think "well it has to be great."

I went once to watch a tournment called Crunk Cup(?) or rather and got a chance to walk that course. I can tell you that the course play that tournament is a REAL golf course..and from im told is ultra exclusive as well.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

For all the advantages that have come along with the recent popularity of golf, the one major disadvantages are all the idiots who try to change it for the worse. This is a gentlemens game. There are rules, there is honor, there is tradition....there are even private clubs that don't allow any and all who feel they are entitled to everything in life. Seriously, if you don't like Augusta National and the Masters, turn off the TV, and possibly consider taking up another sport because you have just committed golf blasphemy.

Making caddies wear certain uniforms and demanding certain TV coverage criteria have absolutely nothing to do with the game of golf. It all has to do with country club tradition, NOT golfing tradition. There is a HUGE difference.

The annoying music and the bullshit sycophantic behavior of the telecast hosts are really the only things that bother me about the tournament in itself. Butler cabins...who gives a damn? Besides being expertly manicured with nice scenery there is nothing about the golf course that really blows me away. I think people get caught up in the exclusivity of the place and think "well it has to be great."

All very petty things. What is snobby about a friggin cabin?

Sure you weren't getting "caught up in the exclusivity" of the other club?

In my bag:

2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Can you give some examples of said "snottyness?"

If you don't know what I'm referring to on your own, you wouldn't see it as such anyway. No problem if you don't, that's just what your opinion is of it. To each their own.

Making caddies wear certain uniforms and demanding certain TV coverage criteria have absolutely nothing to do with the game of golf. It all has to do with country club tradition, NOT golfing tradition. There is a HUGE difference.

So what. It is THEIR tournament anyways. This is not a good example of snobbery. What is there inherantly snobby about tradition? I had to wear a uniform to go to school, was it snobbery?

The players in a sense have uniforms too (collars, can't wear shorts), imposed by the tour.

In my bag:

If you don't know what I'm referring to on your own, you wouldn't see it as such anyway.

That is a cop out. What is snobby about the Masters?

In my bag:

All very petty things. What is snobby about a friggin cabin?

I have a feeling everyone is just going to have to agree to disagree on all of this.

You make it seem like the TV coverage is a bad thing. CBS would bring in 18 wheelers and stadium lighting if it were up to them. They don't give a rats ass about anything but ratings. Again, it's their tournament. People love to hate on the rich folk such as the Augusta membership, it's almost too easy.

The whole "music" thing is interesting too. I can't imagine how a theme with all of 4 notes could be so bothersome to people. So not a big deal.

In my bag:

So what. It is THEIR tournament anyways. This is not a good example of snobbery. What is there inherantly snobby about tradition? I had to wear a uniform to go to school, was it snobbery?

The snobby attitude is that they go out of their way to be different than every other tournament for not benefit of the GOLF tournament. It's all about heightening the country club atmosphere. Again, you are correct that it is theri tournament and their decision to run it. That doesn't mean that every golfer has to agree with it.

You keep referring to The Masters as being a great GOLF tournament because of the tradition, but everything you are referring to has absolutely nothing to do with GOLF. It's all COUNTRY CLUB tradition. Golf tradition does not equal country club tradition.

You make it seem like the TV coverage is a bad thing. CBS would bring in 18 wheelers and stadium lighting if it were up to them. They don't give a rats ass about anything but ratings. Again, it's their tournament. People love to hate on the rich folk such as the Augusta membership, it's almost too easy.

Who said anything about hating the rich?

And as for TV coverage, what's annoying (wasn't that the topic of this thread?) is that Augusta demands to be different simply for the country club tradition and by no means to any benefit for the entire game of golf.
The whole "music" thing is interesting too. I can't imagine how a theme with all of 4 notes could be so bothersome to people. So not a big deal.

Again, read above. It's about having to be "superior" for nothing that has anythign to do with the golfing aspect of the tournament.

None of hte annoying aspects being discussed in this thread have anything to do with the golf being played in the tournament. It all has to do with other details. THAT is exactly what annoys me.

The snobby attitude is that they go out of their way to be different than every other tournament for not benefit of the GOLF tournament. It's all about heightening the country club atmosphere. Again, you are correct that it is theri tournament and their decision to run it. That doesn't mean that every golfer has to agree with it.

You've created a rule in your brain that says tradition has to be directly related to golf. While a tournament is centered around golf, it's not all that happens. So what if there are traditions that don't have to do with golf. That is what is unique about Augusta, there is an affiliation with the golf club that is firmly implanted in the tournament. I recall Martha Burk suggesting they move the Masters to a course that allows women. This was a laughable example of an individual that fails to understand that Augusta National and the Masters are inseperable. The two simply would not be the same without each other. BTW, being different that the other tournaments is a good thing in my opinion. This is precisely the reason I think the PGA has fallen from glory, ever since they left the match play system.

In my bag:

Who said anything about hating the rich?

The "M" in Masters is for Megabucks. You have to be very wealthy to become a member of Augusta, you have to be wealthy to be a "patron" at Augusta.

Just one example of at least a few I've read.

In my bag:

• Administrator
People love to hate on the rich folk such as the Augusta membership, it's almost too easy.

Rich does not necessarily mean snobby. It's easier to perceive it as snobby, but so? That doesn't mean it is.

Kudos to you, AC, for sticking up for a little common sense.
The snobby attitude is that they go out of their way to be different than every other tournament for not benefit of the GOLF tournament.

They don't go out of their way to be different. They've not changed much in 70+ years, so you can hardly say they've "gone out of their way" to do anything except to hold onto their traditions.

Jack Nicklaus has gone out of HIS way to make his Memorial as much like Augusta's tournament as possible. Does that mean we have to bash on The Memorial too?
It's all about heightening the country club atmosphere.

Augusta National doesn't have a pool, tennis courts, or anything of the sort. It's not a country club. It's a Golf Club - says so right in the name. So I really doubt it's about "heightening the country club atmosphere." Nothing of the sort.

Again, you are correct that it is theri tournament and their decision to run it. That doesn't mean that every golfer has to agree with it.

I don't think that's what he's asking of you. I think what he's asking of you is that you provide some legitimate reasons to back your opinion.

You keep referring to The Masters as being a great GOLF tournament because of the tradition, but everything you are referring to has absolutely nothing to do with GOLF. It's all COUNTRY CLUB tradition.

Bzzzzzt. And as AC has said (paraphrased), it's all centered around the golf tournament, and it all adds somewhat to the golf tournament. There's nothing else going on there, so it has to go in that direction.

And as for TV coverage, what's annoying (wasn't that the topic of this thread?) is that Augusta demands to be different simply for the country club tradition and by no means to any benefit for the entire game of golf.

You keep saying that, but I think you don't even know what it means yourself. They don't demand to be different, there's no "country club tradition," and how you conflate the traditions Augusta holds closely to have no "benefit for the entire game of golf" is beyond me.

Again, read above. It's about having to be "superior" for nothing that has anythign to do with the golfing aspect of the tournament.

If they have the chance to be perfect, why shouldn't they be? Would you prefer if they intentionally goofed things up just so they're not "superior" or "perfect?" Maybe they could let some grass grow in their bunkers or something. Maybe they could kill some azaleas on purpose to "ugly up the place a bit"?

Silly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rich does not necessarily mean snobby. It's easier to perceive it as snobby, but so? That doesn't mean it is.

WOW!!! could that have been better said? I think not..

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

Part of the reason many of us watch the Masters, is not just because of the tournament, there are plenty of those, but because of the tradition surrounding the tourney. More specifically, the lore that is Augusta National is a reason why I love this tournament so much. While I realize there is a good possibility I'll never play there, I can accept that. Nonetheless, I'll still dream (at 31 years of age) that I will play there someday. Watching these events through the television allows me to continue this dream. Instead of resenting the exclusivity, I embrace it.

Truth is, a real golf club isn't just about the golf course. Right here in Fort Lauderdale, there is a club I want to re-join that, more than any other thing, just has an incredible group of guys that love to play the game, and have fun afterwards. The courses are pretty good, but nothing crazy. I look forward to joining for the tradition and comraderie. There are plenty of clubs out there, and even more nice golf courses, but the real beauty in Augusta National is the rare combination it has of tradition, and a magnificant 18 holes.

That's all for this thread.

In my bag:

No it's not. I didn't want another "golfxxxxxxx" domain and "thebunker.com" was taken.

The Pro I used to work for banned the word sand trap. We could only refer to the hazards as bunkers.

Oh, today I did see two patrons with their hats on sideways. The hats were blocking the sun. My favorite Masters thing...the caddy jumpsuits, green hats and the Masters logo.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

The coverage is a bit of overkill but what "superbowl" of a given sport isn't? It's a great tourney and I wish we could just get PURE coverage without all the extra. Just my view.

Note: This thread is 5862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!