IGNORED

Thoughts on "Immediate Improvement"

iacas

I am going to constrain my response to a full swing type lesson because I think when doing a chipping, putting or bunker lesson there can be immediate improvement because often times golfers in my mediocre stratosphere are so bad at these things that just being taught the proper way will yield fast changes.

But on the full swing? I have had lessons with teachers who gave me instant improvement. And it was always transitory. Always. The only time I had an improvement stick was working on something substantially different than what I was doing. And I'd see some nice shots during the lesson, and on the range later. But it takes time to translate it to the course with buddies watching.  AND....when making a big change sometimes you get stuck between the two things and there's some mass ugliness. Doesn't mean you're on the wrong path.

I'm in the midst of making some big changes right now, working with @iacas. I'm glad he's giving me stuff that is foundational and isn't worried about my next round, because I'm not worried about my next round either. Tangentially, thankfully he's patient as hell cuz even just changing my setup is hard for me and taking a while. 

Also, true change at anything in one's life takes time. Why would golf be different?