IGNORED

My Shot Chart (for Charting Your Round or Your Child's Round)

iacas

• Administrator

Years ago, when watching @NatalieB play golf, I both wanted something to keep me busy and to provide something useful to her after the round. I came up with this:

Shot Chart 3.0.jpg

This is the third iteration of what I called simply the "Shot Chart" and it served me well for five years or so.

Here's a PDF: Shot Chart 3.0.pdf. Don't download the JPEG above.

Let's explain what each area is for:

• The outside is where I write down the running score.
  • The par/yards area is for writing down, oddly enough… the par and yardage of the hole being played.
  • I have four boxes for up to four shots (hopefully you don't need a fifth very often!) that aren't putts.
    • The area to the left is for the best guess as to what club was used.
    • The tic-tac-toe thing is for the location of the shot relative to the target: short-right, centered, long-left… etc.
    • The G A B is for "Good," "Average," or "Bad." This is relative to the player. They don't include the result of luck: if you hit a bad shot but get lucky, it's probably a "B."
  • The putt lines are for the estimated distance of the putts faced.
    • I sometimes count a putt just into the fringe. I'll often add an "f" to the distance.
    • I sometimes also write "s" or "p" for "short" or "past" if it's helpful. For example, if the player leaves too many 10-foot putts short, I'll write down "10s" and then you'll know the "2" that follows was from short of the hole.

Shot Chart 3.0 Marked.jpg

On these two sample holes, the player played a 410-yard par four and a 505-yard par five.

• On the first hole, they hit an average driver to the right side of the fairway.
  • They quasi-chunked a 7I to the front right fringe, leaving a 41-foot putt.
  • They hit a good putt to 3' and tapped in for par.
  • On the second hole, they hit a good driver long and left-center of the fairway.
  • They toe-hooked a 5W into the left trees (sometimes I write "trees" or draw a little tree).
  • From there, they played a punchy wedge to the front-right part of the green.
  • They made a 22-footer for birdie to go to -1.

Again, get the PDF, not the JPEG above: Shot Chart 3.0.pdf.

If you get some use of this, great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to My Shot Chart (for Charting Your Round or Your Child's Round)
42 minutes ago, iacas said:

Years ago, when watching @NatalieB play golf, I both wanted something to keep me busy and to provide something useful to her after the round. I came up with this:

Shot Chart 3.0.jpg

This is the third iteration of what I called simply the "Shot Chart" and it served me well for five years or so.

Here's a PDF: Shot Chart 3.0.pdf. Don't download the JPEG above.

Let's explain what each area is for:

• The outside is where I write down the running score.
  • The par/yards area is for writing down, oddly enough… the par and yardage of the hole being played.
  • I have four boxes for up to four shots (hopefully you don't need a fifth very often!) that aren't putts.
    • The area to the left is for the best guess as to what club was used.
    • The tic-tac-toe thing is for the location of the shot relative to the target: short-right, centered, long-left… etc.
    • The G A B is for "Good," "Average," or "Bad." This is relative to the player. They don't include the result of luck: if you hit a bad shot but get lucky, it's probably a "B."
  • The putt lines are for the estimated distance of the putts faced.
    • I sometimes count a putt just into the fringe. I'll often add an "f" to the distance.
    • I sometimes also write "s" or "p" for "short" or "past" if it's helpful. For example, if the player leaves too many 10-foot putts short, I'll write down "10s" and then you'll know the "2" that follows was from short of the hole.

Shot Chart 3.0 Marked.jpg

On these two sample holes, the player played a 410-yard par four and a 505-yard par five.

• On the first hole, they hit an average driver to the right side of the fairway.
  • They quasi-chunked a 7I to the front right fringe, leaving a 41-foot putt.
  • They hit a good putt to 3' and tapped in for par.
  • On the second hole, they hit a good driver long and left-center of the fairway.
  • They toe-hooked a 5W into the left trees (sometimes I write "trees" or draw a little tree).
  • From there, they played a punchy wedge to the front-right part of the green.
  • They made a 22-footer for birdie to go to -1.

Again, get the PDF, not the JPEG above: Shot Chart 3.0.pdf.

If you get some use of this, great.

I remember as a kid I kept detailed score sheets when watching a baseball game, even when watching on TV.  It made me feel more involved in the game than simply as a spectator.

I like the idea of Good/Avg/Bad.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Bumping for those of you who didn't see this the first time. You can use the shot chart for yourselves, too. Give it a try.

• Thumbs Up 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets