IGNORED

2023 Kirkland Ball

So i picked up a few boxes of these after seeing a review of them on YT last week ( didn't know they had released a new version at the time )     in the review the guy did hit a bunch of wedge shots with the new ball and it seems like the cover issue has been taken care of..   

has anyone picked up the new version and played it yet????     I'll be using mine for the first time this coming weekend at the TST meet up in Ohio 

It is what it is

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I don't live near a Costco, so… no. I may find one eventually, but I'm pretty good with my Snells and occasionally Titleists.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

I started off playing the Kirkland balls this year.  I haven't seen scuffing any different than any other tour ball.  But I usually start with a new ball every round and retire the used ball to the practice pile.  I've gone through maybe two dozen balls, losing some and retiring some. 

But last round I played a TP5 and now seriously having second thoughts on the Kirkland ball.  I think the Kirk's perform well in a simulator but in real life they just don't fly as far, launch lower, and have too much spin on the driver (for me).  Sure you can spin the crap out of them with a wedge.  But there must be a difference in the aerodynamics.  With the TP5 I was hitting my drives 10 to 20+ yards further on average and much higher launch (hole by hole vs last time I played the same course).  But that was just one round so who knows (e.g. temperature, wind, fairway firmness, etc).  But definitely a difference off the driver.  5 wood carry was 15 yards further.  

You can look at data on MyGolfSpy at the differences:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/golfspy.t/viz/MyGolfSpy2021GolfBallTest/2021GolfBallData

But do they do these tests by actually hitting balls into a real range and measuring where they land?  I doubt it.  Simulator tests assume an aero profile given the launch and spin.  

So is kirkland a good value, absolutely especially if you lose balls every round.  But is there something left on the table?  Probably.  Maybe not 20 yards of driver, but my gut says it's not exactly optimal for me.  So i got a box of TP5's and am going to test out the difference next couple rounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

I went from playing Maxfli Softfli's to playing the Kirkland...    I have a dozen of the old U/6 low compressions, and probably a dozen of the old U/3's and probably a dozen of the StraightFli's and SpeedFli's..     

I honestly can't say if i noticed a distance difference with the any of the Maxfli's.    my only comparison is when i'm out playing a round with other people.    And I never feel like i'm at a disadvantage when it comes to distance, it's usually me not hitting the ball well or someone else just having a faster swing speed.     

I do like the value Kirkland ball, and it always seems like when i try to play a ProV1 or something, i end up losing the ball right away.    

It is what it is