IGNORED

Bo the Golfer's Golf Journey

Bo the Golfer

So after thinking about what I should do I have decided to go with Evolvr for my swing fix. I've never really done formal instruction (as you can tell lol) so I'm excited as to where this can take me. Thank you to @iacas for putting the idea in my head and explaining the benefits of Evolvr. I'm really looking forward to trying to play some decent golf eventually. 

• Thumbs Up 2

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Another good workout today. Gym was pretty busy so I found myself having to mix up the order of exercises. Anyone with a touch of OCD will know what a challenge this was but I lived. I continue to track what I eat and while I'm not perfect it is such a help to see where I'm at for calories,  macros, etc. 

I'm really excited to be starting with Evolvr. I'll be at the dome tomorrow night getting swings on video to upload. I have been doing a lot of backswing drills via the 5 Minute Daily Challenge using Steve Stricker as a swing goal. We'll see what my Evolvr instructor thinks and what changes I'll need to make. 

BO THE GOLFER

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I am officially an Evolvr student. Let's go!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

BO THE GOLFER

Went to the dome tonight and what felt great with some really good contact showed up on video as feel vs real proof (see my swing thread). While things looked ever so slightly better in a spot or two there is a lot of work to go. Didn't want to easte any time so I posted video on Evolvr. Excited to see what I'll be working on. I hope it eventually leads to a more compact, better connected swing. 

Fitness wise I am hoping to get to the gym late Sunday afternoon. We are heading to niece's basketball tournament at 7 tomorrow morning,  then off for a night at my in laws, and finally a nephew's birthday party Sunday at 1 roughly 1.5 hours south of us. Love the family time, just hoping to get a workout in. 

BO THE GOLFER

Good workout this morning. PB on deadlift and I continue to feel stronger overall. It's funny as I remember many times in life where the flimsiest of excuses would get me out of a workout but now I really enjoy the process. If I can lock down my eating a little more I should reach my goal of 230 easily this year.

Speaking of process, I am waiting on feedback from the videos I put on Evolvr. I've been on The Sand Trap long enough to think I understand they will be looking for a priority piece to work on first. I really like that approach as it won't give me a bunch of things to have to think about (as there are a bunch of things wrong with my swing).

BO THE GOLFER

Felt a little like I had to fight to get through this morning's workout but did and felt good afterwards. I was a bit tired and maybe not at my strongest but those days will happen. The key is to get through the best I can. Feel like my motivation and dedication are strong. 

Have been doing a lot of set up and grip work after getting my feedback from @iacas via Evolvr. The stronger grip and making sure I'm set up correctly feels different but that was the point. So excited as to where this can take me. 

BO THE GOLFER

I figured out the reason Thursday was such a tough workout to get through. Been fighting some sort of cold/flu symptoms probably since Wednesday. Felt much worse Friday afternoon/night but feeling a touch better now so I am taking off from the gym until Tuesday. I'll be finishing off this workout program and starting a new one Saturday. The new one has me at 5 days a week so I really need to commit. 

If I continue to feel better tomorrow I may get to the dome to see if I can get some swings filmed for Evolvr. I was at 2nd Swing today looking at drivers and swung awfully the first couple. I finally committed to what I had been working on a hit a great drive down the middle. Need reps just to make the new grip and setup second nature. 

BO THE GOLFER

9 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I figured out the reason Thursday was such a tough workout to get through. Been fighting some sort of cold/flu symptoms probably since Wednesday. Felt much worse Friday afternoon/night but feeling a touch better now so I am taking off from the gym until Tuesday. I'll be finishing off this workout program and starting a new one Saturday. The new one has me at 5 days a week so I really need to commit. 

If I continue to feel better tomorrow I may get to the dome to see if I can get some swings filmed for Evolvr. I was at 2nd Swing today looking at drivers and swung awfully the first couple. I finally committed to what I had been working on a hit a great drive down the middle. Need reps just to make the new grip and setup second nature. 

Respiratory illness has been rampant lately.  Hope you feel better soon.

good to hear you started Evolver, I am jealous and can’t wait to start myself

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 minutes ago, StuM said:

Respiratory illness has been rampant lately.  Hope you feel better soon.

good to hear you started Evolver, I am jealous and can’t wait to start myself

Highly recommend it. Wish I had started much sooner. 

BO THE GOLFER

5 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Highly recommend it. Wish I had started much sooner. 

I will start once I can begin swinging a golf club again.  Ideally by March 

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Strong grip and add left side bend on backswing. That really needs to be my mantra for a bit. If you look at the videos in my swing thread I clearly rise up when taking the club back. This causes me to lose sight of the ball and I'm sure a whole host of other issues. So glad to have started this journey. Also miss tte gym so I can't wait to get back tomorrow. 

BO THE GOLFER

Really good workout at the gym this morning. I felt both strong and more invigorated as the workout progressed. I have one more workout in this program than switch things up on Saturday. 

Golf is a slow process but I'm loving the work I'm doing. I continue to work on my grip and setup and @iacas added to work on side bend in the backswing from my latest Evolvr feedback. Just getting reps in using my short practice club at home and while feeling much different it also feels great to be working towards a better swing. 

BO THE GOLFER

Last workout of this program this morning. Felt really good all workout and am excited to be starting a new program starting Saturday. I don't think I've lost much weight lately but clothes are fitting a little more loose and I'm feeling stronger for sure. I'll be doing the 5 day a week program for the next 12 weeks and am psyched to see what gains it brings. 

Golf work has been slow with gains but consistent. I believe with today I'll be up to day 65 with the 5 minutes practice daily. I think I've finally figured out the stronger grip and setup feels good. Been unusually warm here in MN (54 yesterday and near 50 today) and I've seen people out playing through my Facebook Golf Minnesota group but I'm feeling like I want to continue the work before getting out there. Hopefully this means I can get out earlier this spring though. 

BO THE GOLFER

Great start of the new program today at the gym. I am no longer doing a full body workout so instead of the 9 exercises I had been doing it's paired down to six but lifting 4 days now vs the 3. There's some different exercises in this program so I'm excited to see what changes I'll see. 

Continue to plug away at the drills and feels around grip, setup, and more side bend on the backswing. I am going to try and get to the dome tomorrow afternoon and get some swings on video for Evolvr. While I'm not expecting to see any miracles I'm hoping there's some part or parts that look better. Really am enjoying the process though. 

• Thumbs Up 2

BO THE GOLFER

Went to the dome today to hit some balls. Put a couple of videos in my swing thread. Not looking like much has changed but I'll wait for my Evolvr feedback. After filming I was doing hip to hip drill swings. Felt like maybe those should be my regular swing as I felt so connected and contact was great. 

Went to the gym this morning and am really liking this new program. I got on the treadmill afterwards and I think I'll be adding cardio after lifting going forward. 

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Went to the dome today to hit some balls. Put a couple of videos in my swing thread. Not looking like much has changed but I'll wait for my Evolvr feedback.

As others learn, if not much changes, you don't have to submit the video. I was always puzzled by people who would submit a video that looked exactly the same as the previous video, often because they did it at full speed.

I'm saying that comment to you because you did change it a bit. Your head no longer goes back a foot.

But to be blunt…

• You need to exaggerate the hell out of stuff.
  • You need to go slowly (and send some of the slow swings, with pauses).
  • You need to feel "uncomfortable" or "weird" or like you're doing something foreign or new (not uncomfortable like pain).
  • You need to detach yourself from the immediate results of how you're hitting the ball. It'll get better, just might take longer than five or ten balls.
  • Immediate feedback like a mirror or the camera facing you at least (the screen, so you can see yourself) is helpful.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

As others learn, if not much changes, you don't have to submit the video. I was always puzzled by people who would submit a video that looked exactly the same as the previous video, often because they did it at full speed.

I'm saying that comment to you because you did change it a bit. Your head no longer goes back a foot.

But to be blunt…

• You need to exaggerate the hell out of stuff.
  • You need to go slowly (and send some of the slow swings, with pauses).
  • You need to feel "uncomfortable" or "weird" or like you're doing something foreign or new (not uncomfortable like pain).
  • You need to detach yourself from the immediate results of how you're hitting the ball. It'll get better, just might take longer than five or ten balls.
  • Immediate feedback like a mirror or the camera facing you at least (the screen, so you can see yourself) is helpful.

Thank you. I think this is why I'm so glad that I signed up for Evolvr as I knew I would get blunt and not sugar-coated bs. Being from the east coast this is how I like to get information. I do realize things will take time, and look forward to working towards that. 

BO THE GOLFER

The new workout program is awesome so far. Really feel like I've worked hard after getting done. Doing some different exercises than from my last program is great as it feels like I'm using similar muscles but in a way that's making them stronger. 

I did some dry golf swings in the yard today while my daughter played as we got a 50° day here in MN. This is the winter that never was. Worked on a shorter golf swing and I think I may have found something. We'll see next time I get a ball in front of me. 

BO THE GOLFER