IGNORED

Effect of Wet Green and Wet Ball and Wet Club Face With a Bump N Run

jfrain2004

Been trying to sharpen up distance control this year from 40 yards and in. Had a nice round going yesterday until a 5min shower of rain passed over us. Up to that point my bump and run were going the distances I have practiced them at ( always dry when I practice ) with little to no ground conditions changed with the rain, just the grass, ball and club face now wet, what was going 40 yards for me for the shots I needed up to that point were now going 50 yards plus for very similar lies, and swing length. So trying to figure out why I hit most/all my bump n run shots longer than required after the rain. Guess I will need to go practice bump n run in the rain but my theory is that the ball checks up lot less in wet conditions, firstly because I get less back spin on the ball because of wet ball and wet club face and secondly, when ball lands it will not check as much because the slippery surface even if it did have as much back spin on it as it would have if ball and club were both dry.  The amount of rain it made did absolutely nothing to make the greens softer.  Any thoughts appreciated 

Edited by jfrain2004

• Administrator

It sounds like you have a handle on it. Adaptability and the ability to read the lie and the conditions are a big part of playing golf. It sounds like you might be doing things a little too formulaically in your practice, and should use those things to establish a baseline of sorts, and play around in that space rather than looking for everything to be exactly as practiced.

Imagination isn't a bad thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now