IGNORED

Instructional Video Critique Topic

So in this topic post a YouTube video and then critique it. To keep it simple every first response to a video should include:

• A letter grade (A, B, C, D, F, with plus or minus allowed)
  • Three things you liked (if possible).
  • Three things you didn't like (if possible).

We should try not to have too many going at once-Post a video and let a few responses come in before you post a different video.

I was going to start us off but I will let someone else.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like: Nothing. But I’m honest in saying I’m far from a swing guru.

Dislike:

1. ‘ The modern swing creates too much spin.’ This has to be one of the most asinine statements out there.

2. ‘Shallowing the swing and swinging inside to out reduces spin.’ So…tour players don’t swing their drivers that way? 

3. ‘One has to make two swings if they hit up on the driver.’ No. They just change ball position.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

I'll bite.

Grade: D

• It's short.
  • His watermark logo is good.
  • The background is nice.

Dislikes:

• It's a bunch of bullshit. Spin is created by spin loft. You can hit down on a driver and reduce spin if you deliver less dynamic loft, too. Doesn't mean it's a good way to hit a driver.
  • Swinging out will shallow out the path… and help you to hit up on the ball slightly, as the low point moves back a bit.
  • Swinging out will also lead to a more glancing blow and more "spin" because you're adding the right-to-left spin. Spin loft occurs in all three dimensions. Swinging out = "sidespin."
  • Like 1

Oh, I really like this thread. Here is my video proposal (admittedly a SH!T ton better than the first)

1. Conversational about a player struggling with something in their swing (something I struggle with)
  2. Used shots to see how the player progressed
  3. Simple training aid everyone has around the house.

Dislikes

1. Only a few swings. Maybe a time lapse or something to show after they worked on it for a while
  2. A little long
  3. Not enough to tell players who this video is for
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I’m slightly out of turn by posting so soon, but I really like this one (others may or may not). I, for one, have struggled with moving my pelvis toward the ball and then having to jump up and backward to bail out of it. The feeling of controlling the center of my pelvis has been very helpful for solid striking, and it’s also a pretty simple thought as well; really simplifies the swing, for me at least. 

- easy to follow the GEARS model representations

- well spoken 

- shows “what not to do” as well as “what to do” and even offers variations of both

Dislikes:

- I would have liked to have seen specific drills or feelings they used to help the student. 

- maybe a bit long, but this is a bit nitpicky

Grade: A- 

• Administrator
On 6/11/2021 at 8:42 PM, mchepp said:

Oh, I really like this thread. Here is my video proposal (admittedly a SH!T ton better than the first)

1. Conversational about a player struggling with something in their swing (something I struggle with)
  2. Used shots to see how the player progressed
  3. Simple training aid everyone has around the house.

Dislikes

1. Only a few swings. Maybe a time lapse or something to show after they worked on it for a while
  2. A little long
  3. Not enough to tell players who this video is for

Grade: B

1. Good use of a little training aid (a spoon)
  2. Detailed information that didn't treat us like dummies.
  3. Proper understanding of ball flight and anatomy.

Dislikes:

1. Scott never really talked to the proper camera. 🙂
  2. No slow mo of his swing showing the moves they were talking about. No exaggeration or slow-motion work, either.
  3. Don't like the spoon drill itself for keeping the right arm pinned to the side. Easily done improperly/overdone.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
On 6/14/2021 at 9:10 PM, ncates00 said:

1. Addresses a very common issue - setup has the weight back in the heels.
  2. Pane of glass is a good viewing angle.
  3. The message is pretty clear. I like the closeup of the hips at 6:00.

Dislikes:

1. GEARS is great and all, but show people what this looks like without the amorphous blobs. Show real-world pictures of people, even if by using yourselves.
  2. On the same track, how about some real-world drills or demos.
  3. Show the instructors more. Even if it's picture-in-picture. This feels a bit too much like we're living in the Matrix.

I generally like AMG videos, so the Dislikes aren't all that strong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/14/2021 at 9:10 PM, ncates00 said:

Maybe I’m slightly out of turn by posting so soon, but I really like this one (others may or may not). I, for one, have struggled with moving my pelvis toward the ball and then having to jump up and backward to bail out of it. The feeling of controlling the center of my pelvis has been very helpful for solid striking, and it’s also a pretty simple thought as well; really simplifies the swing, for me at least. 

- easy to follow the GEARS model representations

- well spoken 

- shows “what not to do” as well as “what to do” and even offers variations of both

Dislikes:

- I would have liked to have seen specific drills or feelings they used to help the student. 

- maybe a bit long, but this is a bit nitpicky

Gears clearly shows difference between the pros and the am.

They explain what the am needs to do to correct the problem, at least with set up.

The changes appear to have worked for this (already single digit) golfer.

Dislikes:

It would be nice to see video of the actual student overlayed with gears.

It would be nice to see the student working on making the changes.

I would like to see them work on this with a bogey golfer instead of a single digit cap.

• Thumbs Up 1

Grade: A

It is a very simple drill with no training aids.

It worked for me as a bogey golfer to improve my ball striking. That is why it gets an A grade.

It can be used on the course. I got my first eagle using this drill as my on course swing, although I had a problem with hitting the ball over the green as I was getting more distance than with my normal swing.

Dislikes:

It would be nice to see a student work through this drill. I had to experiment a bit to figure it out. 

Although Cheney says you can or maybe should use this short follow through as you swing, his own swing has a full follow through.  He should explain how to get to that full follow through.

I would like to see him apply this to driver if it can be.

• Administrator
On 6/20/2021 at 8:45 AM, The Flush said:

Grade: B+

• Simple, good drill that I use fairly often.
  • Clear audio, picture.
  • Good use of Tour players (well, at least one) to show this.

Dislikes:

• I didn't love the explanation if you were struggling to get the drill right. He just kept telling you about the drill, and how it would improve contact.
  • Could have used some slow-mo, but it would have shown him fighting off the wrists a bit more, I think.
  • Would have loved to show advanced versions, like where you can manipulate the path a bit by how much the arms come off the chest, etc.