IGNORED

Match play, rules rules rules

blue3715
Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Didn't happen to me..

Two players played a match, on the 2nd hole it was realized player A had 15 clubs. As it goes the 2 players agreed that player A would "declare" one of this clubs out of play and no penalty would occur.

After the 18th hole, player A won the match, 1 up. Player B, still on the green, said.. no.. you have 15 clubs.. that's a penalty... 2 shots on the first 2 holes (max for match play I believe).. thus I win.

It became a very large argument and player B would not admit that they took a club out of play on #2, even though they both admitted they knew about it on #2.

The pro and asst pros could not agree.. it was sent to the USGA for a ruling.

The response was interesting... they said...

Player A should have removed the club from his bag, but since there was no golf cart it was understandable that they had no place else to put it.

Player A wins the match, as player B did not demand the penalty noted on the scorecard on hole #2 (scorecard shows them as tying 1 and 2). It was too late by the 3rd tee to complain as both players admitted to knowing on hole #2 that player A had 15 clubs.

I noted to the pro that he was allowed to further rule (he didn't) ...

Both players are disqualified for agreeing to waive the penalty on holes 1 and 2. As the rules say, in match play, if both players agree to ignore the rules for a penalty, etc, than both are disqualified.

Know the rules... demand a penalty be written on the score card, and have witnesses to the effect (caddy, etc).

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

• Administrator
Both players are disqualified for agreeing to waive the penalty on holes 1 and 2. As the rules say, in match play, if both players agree to ignore the rules for a penalty, etc, than both are disqualified.

I was waiting for you to get to that point. That's the option I'd have chosen.

I've enjoyed your three recent rules posts. The rules seem quite complex, but I think they're fairly straightforward, and most of the super-wacky rulings only arise: a) rarely b) in, like your example, situations where people really just goof up. Had they simply assessed the penalty after the first two holes, well, that's a pretty straight-forward ruling.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i'll post more as I dredge them up.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!