IGNORED

Help me get to the Next Level

ChinBo
Note: This thread is 5848 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New to the forum, everyone on here seems really cool and it seems like there are some legit golfers out there.

I need your help formulating a plan to get me to the next level. I would guess my next level would be to drop my handicapp from 19 to 14, or consistently scoring in the 80s.

Strong Parts of my Game -

- Short Game, pitches, chips, anything from 100 yards and in, especially shots around the green. This is where I save most of my strokes, getting up and down.

- Mid to high Irons - I am alright with my 6, 7, and 8

Average Parts of my Game

- Putting - I have been focusing on Pelz method, straight forward and straight back, keeping my head still, and I actually have been holing a couple longer putts. Last year I had no chance from 15' but now I have some confidence. I would say I am steadily improving here. I still miss some 3-4'ers tho.

Weak Parts of my Game

- Long Irons - 3, 4, 5.

- Driving (Accuracy and distance)

- 3, 5 Wood - actually these should be under average. I can hit these alright. I like my 5 wood from the fairway

So any thoughts? I try to get to the range 2x per week and I usually play 9 during the week and 18 on the weekend. I try to spend time at the chipping green but with the way my game is right now, I need help with my long irons and driving.

I took a lesson and my instructor worked with me on standing more upright, and standing a bit further away from the ball, being in an athletic position, while still trying to swing up and down. I have been working on these things, but I am sure it is going to take some time.

ANyone else can share a story on how they went from shooting low 90s to mid 80s?

In my stand bag -

Burner 420, 10.5* Regular Shaft
V Steel 3 Wood, 15* Regular Shaft
V Steel 5 Wood, 18* Regular Shaft MP Fli-HI 2 Iron, 18* Regular Shaft, Steel (If not playing 5 Wood) 2007 FPs, 3-GW MP-T Series, 56* Raw Haze MP-T Series, 60* Raw Haze (Dont really play with this yet, trying to...

Going for 90's to 80's... hmm, thats a tough one because I don't really remember when it happened.

I think it just happened, the ammount of playing I did and the things I learned by watching better golfers helped me out considerably. Play alot and you will see it come along naturally.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Welcome to the board.

I recently had surgery on an ankle that I dislocated and fractured. One day I was itching to play golf, my buddies were going out, so I joined them. Playing pretty much on one foot, I shot 13 over, and gained a whole new perspective on the game.

First of all, you have to master your putting, as with anyone. You can be a mid to high handicapper yet having putting skills of a pro. Putting is all about practice and confidence. Being able to be confident in making putts upwards of 20 feet will help in my next bit of advice.

When you are on a par 4 or par 5 and you are in a spot where you can't reach a green, lay up. Preferably to a nice spot in the fairway which will avoid any line where you'll have to carry a bunker or water hazard to get to the pin. From this layup position, don't get too greedy, just try and get yourself inside that 20 foot range. When you try and get within 20 feet, more often than not, you'll find yourself much closer. And now that you have confidence in your putting, you'll be able to make those par saves.

Also, never be negative, and never dwell on the past. A shot you've already hit is just that, already hit. Move on to the next and try to make that one great.

I can almost guarantee, even without knowing and having ever seen your swing, that the problem with you driving and long iron game is you trying to hit the ball to far. You can't yet, you're a 19. Keep your head down, put a smooth swing on the thing. No swinging for the fences. It's better to hit a 200 yard drive in play, than to hit a 250 yard drive into the trees.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

thanks for the quick responses. I will definately get out to the range tomorrow and swing those long irons with that mindset.

I have a couple of things I am working on right now ...

1. Good weight transfer to the inside of the right foot on takeaway, good transfer to left on followthrough

2. Swining more on direction of flight (more up and down)

3. Swing easy.

I try to read as much as possible but I dont try to absorb too much. I feel that trying to learn too many tips at once will just be a hinderance to my game

In my stand bag -

Burner 420, 10.5* Regular Shaft
V Steel 3 Wood, 15* Regular Shaft
V Steel 5 Wood, 18* Regular Shaft MP Fli-HI 2 Iron, 18* Regular Shaft, Steel (If not playing 5 Wood) 2007 FPs, 3-GW MP-T Series, 56* Raw Haze MP-T Series, 60* Raw Haze (Dont really play with this yet, trying to...

thanks for the quick responses. I will definately get out to the range tomorrow and swing those long irons with that mindset.

Exactly. Getting too technical will do more harm than good. Your #1 for example. eliminate the inside of the right foot part. Too technical. Just think transfer the weight.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I can't believe how much blood sweat and tears it has taken to drop my handicap 50%, from 43 to 20 over three years, mostly long game improvement. Until now I neglected the short game, not as exciting.

So is the next 50% drop (short game improvement) about the same effort, easier or harder ?

How To Beat the Bogeyman

Note: This thread is 5848 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!