IGNORED

Overrated Players

iacas
Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The very fact that a golfer is held in higher regard than your typical firefighter proves my point. The racial barriers were crossed long ago by Sifford, etc, so I don't give him anything on that point.

I agree that Tiger is not as important as a firefighter, a cop or a soldier. However, that is a completely different topic. Is what he does more important than the research scientist trying to cure cancer? No. Still, people pay to see him play. They buy his clubs, clothes and video games.

By crossing racial barriers I did not mean that he did what Sifford and Elder did before him. I meant that his popularity is equal among black, white and Asian people. I am a 37 year old white guy and he is my favorite athlete. In a game that is very polar, he is an icon to many people. He has helped make golf acceptable to the non-traditional golfer. His popularity has helped programs like the First Tee succeed.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say his victories were meaningless, I said it was a meaningless stat.

My response was to the comment that he has "proven little" on the PGA Tour. Again he has more wins than anyone under the age of 30. To which, you replied was a meaningless stat.

How else was I supposed to support my argument? Stats are a record of events. It's not a "meaningless stat." Meaningless stat would be Bubba Watson leading the PGA in driving distance or Rory Sabbatini being the no.2 in scrambling, last year. Those are meaningless. Winning tournaments is never a "meaningless stat."

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• Administrator
Winning tournaments is never a "meaningless stat."

I think it is when 6/7ths of the wins came 3+ years ago and we're talking about

current topics. Had Sergio won even two times this year, that'd be relevant, but his 2001 Colonial victory? Pretty meaningless as far as this discussion - players currently over-rated - goes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As it relates to the expectations and the acclaim that's been put on him, yeah, he's proven very little in my opinion.

I will agree with you 100% about this. This is why I rather judge a player by accomplishments than expectations. I wrote as much in one of my earlier posts. I guess, as fans, we expect more than what we're seeing. That little word, "IF" and the phrase "just wait until" sometimes are the kiss of death. See Ty Tryon.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

My response was to the comment that he has "proven little" on the PGA Tour. Again he has more wins than anyone under the age of 30. To which, you replied was a meaningless stat.

Well, if Bubba bombed drives the particular week he won or Rory scrambled his way to victory how meaningless would those stats be?

So Sergio's seven victories are supposed to mean that much more because he's younger than 30? I just don't see it. Yawn. That just tells me no one is stepping up to the plate to be an elite player or challenging Tiger. Like inferred before, if he was 23 or 24 and had that number, then wow. But being 28 or whatever and not averaging a win per year? I'm not saying he isn't a great player. He hasn't lived up to the hype thrust upon him which is no fault of his own.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Kenny "one shot wonder" Perry, and Mr Europe himself, Justin "I might win a tournament in America but only on the Champions tour" Rose.

Kenny Perry, 11th on the all-time money list...just shows what playing a lot of tournaments will do for you.

Golfunit

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 10° Speeder 652 Stiff4-Wood: Taylor Made V-Steel Regular 14.5ºHybrids: Taylor Made Mid 19º and 22ºIrons 4-W MP-60 DG S300Wedges: MP-T 51°06 and 56°10Putter: Red-X

I agree that Tiger is not as important as a firefighter, a cop or a soldier. However, that is a completely different topic. Is what he does more important than the research scientist trying to cure cancer? No. Still, people pay to see him play. They buy his clubs, clothes and video games.

It isn't really a different topic. It's the value of people in our society.

Being black and popular to most races is not unique. The athlete is overrated and Tiger is King of the hill, so therefore overrated. I give no credit to someone who crosses barriers when the result of said crossing is wealth and fame. Big deal. He is an icon and that is a problem. We have undeserving (overrated) icons. It reflects poorly on society to value a golfer over, say, a soldier. Everyone reading this will say "I hold soldiers in higher regard than a golfer". Good words but I'll bet the actions say otherwise (as in where your money goes, etc). Lots of reasons for that...but...our media sells us Tiger Woods. That's too bad. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm looking to deep into the meaning of this thread. Sorry :)

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

I'm suprised nobody has said Phil.

I think their is a log jam at who is #2, no one is #2 in my book.

I really think no one mentioned is overrated, they all are excellent golfers. Some called overrated are past their prime...but still can play.

Stupid thread.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Kenny "one shot wonder" Perry, and Mr Europe himself, Justin "I might win a tournament in America but only on the Champions tour" Rose.

I'd take wins at Colonial (twice), Memorial (twice), Arnold Palmer Invitational, and others. Things would have been much better for Perry if he would have won the 1996 PGA Championship, but that one slipped away from him. Nonetheless, he has done a lot of great things in the game of golf for over a decade. His consistency is questionable, but he has some great wins at great venues.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think people expect players to achieve too much, and don't quite realise just how hard it is to succeed on tour.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I'd take wins at Colonial (twice), Memorial (twice), Arnold Palmer Invitational, and others. Things would have been much better for Perry if he would have won the 1996 PGA Championship, but that one slipped away from him. Nonetheless, he has done a lot of great things in the game of golf for over a decade. His consistency is questionable, but he has some great wins at great venues.

I agree. Kenny is one of those players who has really thrived after the age of 40. What he's done in the game may actually be a touch underrated IMO. Definitely streaky but when he gets it going he's real good.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• 2 months later...
Heh,

Wow you could not be more right about Monty. Simply the worlds most overrated player. What else can I say!

Mine are: 3. Jason "Do you even know who I am?" Day 2. Mike "I Can't Believe He's Not American" Weir 1. Colin "Monty" Somethingorother OK, well if none of you read the golf magazine article about Jason Day and how he's AMAZING, then you must also have realized that he has dropped off of the face of the earth while moving up to the "big boy" tour. As for Mike, how has he not won more than twice since the Masters win? Oh well, he makes enough. And why does the tour settle for Monty, who complains that the courses are too nice, the fans are too welcoming, and that winning is overrated.

What's in the Bag

Driver: Rapture 10.5*

3w: G10 15.5*5w: G10 18.5*3-UW i10 IronsSW: Vokey 54Putter: iWi Anser

Phil.
Ugly swing, ugly results, ugly manboobs.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Phil.

Ugly swing? LOL.

Ugly results? Yeah, a few majors, just terrible. Ugly manboobs? Maybe in the past, but he's gotten in better shape.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Ugly swing? LOL.

Look at his body swaying all over the place, can't hit fairways like that.

Ugly results, everyone has to agree. He still has the boobies.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

LOL. He's one of the best players in the world despite his ugly results and ugly swing.

But believe whatever you want bud.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!