IGNORED

Pond Picking

trebmalenad
Note: This thread is 5842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My brother and his friend went to an old golf course that closed a few months ago and raided one of the par 3 ponds. They came back with 4 dozen golf balls. Do golf balls get waterlogged or anything from being in the water? The course closed at the end of last year. So they have at least been in there for 4 months or longer.
Driver: Sasquatch 9.5 Stiff
Rescue: Mid 3
Irons: 3100i/h (4-S)
Putter: Dual Force
Ball: One Black

Yes they definatly get waterlogged, lose their colour and become brown if they are in there long enough. Not the best balls to use, but still useable.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Yeah sometimes you will find a ball that has been half-submerged, and you can really see the line between the discoloration and normal ball. Not balls you wanna be using to shoot your best, but make for great practice balls.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

I believe the balls turn brown from algea and what not. You can usually just wipe it off. Do they actually absorb moisture though? It wouldn't be a hard expiriment: weigh some balls, put them in water, weigh them at different time intervals, see if there is a difference.

I have an intrest in this since I pull balls out of ponds and creek frequently a play with them. I have never been able to tell a difference...but thats not saying alot.

Driver: Cobra somthin
3 wood: Big Bertha Warbird (yeah its old)
5 wodd: Big Bertha Warbird
Irons: TaylorMade 360 3-PW
SW: Titleist 981SL (54*)LW: Titleist Vokey 58*Putter: Odessey Duel Force 2

"Testing by Golf Digest in 1996 found a golf ball submerged in water loses six yards after one week, 12 yards after three months and 15 yards after six months."

From this article http://www.g-forse.com/archive/news259_e.html
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Better just use them for practice then. I wonder if there green side behavior is affected too? Doesn't seem like they would be.

Driver: Cobra somthin
3 wood: Big Bertha Warbird (yeah its old)
5 wodd: Big Bertha Warbird
Irons: TaylorMade 360 3-PW
SW: Titleist 981SL (54*)LW: Titleist Vokey 58*Putter: Odessey Duel Force 2

I read that article in Golf Digest, too, makes sense.

I like balls found out in the woods, though.

Golfunit

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 10° Speeder 652 Stiff4-Wood: Taylor Made V-Steel Regular 14.5ºHybrids: Taylor Made Mid 19º and 22ºIrons 4-W MP-60 DG S300Wedges: MP-T 51°06 and 56°10Putter: Red-X

"So is a ball inferior, if it has been submerged in a body of water? 'Yes' says an U.S. Army Research Laboratory study."

why is the u.s. army researching golf ball performance?

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

"So is a ball inferior, if it has been submerged in a body of water? 'Yes' says an U.S. Army Research Laboratory study."

You don't think they set up a driving range that aims out to the desert for nothing, do you?

On a more serious note, the armed forces research divisions sponsor various forms of research that may or may not pay off at some point in the future. Whether this was a waste of army funds or might have some relevance to aquatic materials engineering isn't something I can answer.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!