IGNORED

The importance of Junior Golf Programs?

watrboy4
Note: This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didnt pick up the game until i was 24 and kick myself every day for not playing when I was a teenager..oh the dreams..... I would say its very important, because you get to compete agaist others, and learn while your body is still in that "raw stage", like molding a scuplture from clay. Its a great advantage to have.

This kid my pro teaches now is only 13 or 14 but has one of the silkest swings you will ever see. He told me he can throw all of his knowledge him and receives no resistance at all. When he eventually grows into his body and gets some power..oh man that kid is going to be a beast.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Starting at a older age is really hard because you have to adapt your swing to the way your body works, it may be hard to swing fully paralell when your older. When you start young, you start of being so flexible and able to swing whichever way you want, and as you grow, your able to still swing like that, sure with more restrictions but you keep the same form.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I would say the biggest thing other than the swing mechanics would be Etiquette & The Rules.

Last week I saw some Jr's on #27 green being asses to each other while putting. Kinda reminded me of the scene in Caddyshack where the jerk kids were yelling "Miss it" to Danny Noonan. That is unacceptable in my book.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

You guys rock!!!! You know flexibility has been one of my nemisis' even though I started young. I got into weight lifting and didn't do enough stretching and man did everything tighten. Now I have to spend time everyday stretching just so that I don't hurt when I get done........lol

Do you guy's think that a youth/adult league would be fun? We were thinking of trying one and I am just curious if you have ever heard of that.

Thanks for all the input on the Junior programs and please keep them coming my students will be much happier if I provide them a better experience.

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

I think on one of the days you should have a Father/Son Texas scramble.

Each Father/Son make a team, and you play against another team. Im sure you know what it is. It's great bonding and a great game to play.
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

What kind of exam was it? Questions on what was covered in class? I try to get a lot of donations from the local golf stores and use the final tourney as an incentive to learn and practice. What do you think?

Our exams were over the rules, Types of clubs, what to do in this type of situation questions, how to make a call, etc..

what age group are you teaching?

Dent I appreciate the input and I think I will try to put togethor a texas scramble but it will probably have to be youth/adult to get enough participants. I just say that because our small community at this particular course doesn't have a great deal of support......so far. We are working on getting more players to our course.

Devin---- I am teaching 3 beginner classes where the ages range between 6-17. And I also have 1 advanced class that will be made up of 12-17 year old's. They all get to participate in the tournament but it is split into flights so that everyone has some competition and can still have fun.

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

Dent I appreciate the input and I think I will try to put togethor a texas scramble but it will probably have to be youth/adult to get enough participants. I just say that because our small community at this particular course doesn't have a great deal of support......so far. We are working on getting more players to our course.

It sounds like your running a great program!

In My Bag

I started when I was 14, now 16. This June will be exactly two years I have been playing. I've gotten pretty good over that time. I've never broken 80 though, shot 80 soo many times, can't get over the hump.

it's pretty important IMO. As you can see, golf is becoming less popular every year...idk why, but i think it has to do with not too many junior programs around.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I started when I was 14, now 16. This June will be exactly two years I have been playing. I've gotten pretty good over that time. I've never broken 80 though, shot 80 soo many times, can't get over the hump.

Your absolutly right!

I'd like to see Junior leauges somewhere where you can just have some fun with some new people and shoot good scores in the process. I hate playing competition golf. I don't like to take my golf game into competitions or tournaments unless it is with my golf team at school. Having a fun leauge for junior's where there is no pressure would be great! Never seen one around.
In My Bag

I would say the biggest thing other than the swing mechanics would be Etiquette & The Rules.

everywhere i've played, the adults have been the ones being the most disrespectful (the loud, drunk fat guys who always talk on their cell phones and shoot "78") those are the people that discourage juniors to take up golf, because those people make us feel like we dont belong. most juniors that play golf care about it and it's their obsession, otherwise they would rarely be on a golf course enough to be disruptive. i have always felt that i have to prove myself. i've gotten a lot of crap like that i'm spoiled, or that i should be playing football instead. i don't try and argue with people, i just beat them on the course, and use more golf etiquitte than they could ever learn.

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

I wanted to throw this topic out and see where it goes. I teach a junior golf program at one of the country clubs I am a member at. I am interested in finding out concerns that you all might have with junior golfers and possible remedies. I am a firm believer in the fact that these juniors are the only way that this country club will survive. This is an open thread and I don't care if you get off subject. Have fun and I hope to learn some stuff and maybe teach also.

Looking back on it, I played Junior Golf for a number of years, and I owe a tremendous amount to that organization for what I've gotten out of this incredible game. The Rules clinics they held were very helpful learning the game. Just playing tournaments was so much fun, and great for my game. I eventually won two tourneys in two years which, in the big scheme of things is not a big deal, were still rather great moments in my childhood. I enjoyed the structure of the tournaments, clinics, raffles, etc...But just giving the kids attention and swing pointers is more than most could ask.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

everywhere i've played, the adults have been the ones being the most disrespectful (the loud, drunk fat guys who always talk on their cell phones and shoot "78") those are the people that discourage juniors to take up golf, because those people make us feel like we dont belong. most juniors that play golf care about it and it's their obsession, otherwise they would rarely be on a golf course enough to be disruptive. i have always felt that i have to prove myself. i've gotten a lot of crap like that i'm spoiled, or that i should be playing football instead. i don't try and argue with people, i just beat them on the course, and use more golf etiquitte than they could ever learn.

I couldn't agree more hoofreak. I have noticed that around here the mens leagues are harder on the course than the juniors could ever be. I spend most of my time defending the juniors against accusations that they are hurting the course and I end up defending everyone of them like they are my own kids. One nice thing is that it gives my juniors alot of practice fixing ball marks.

Don't get discouraged because 90 percent of those guys calling you spoiled are just jealous because they know that you are way ahead of them.
Looking back on it, I played Junior Golf for a number of years, and I owe a tremendous amount to that organization for what I've gotten out of this incredible game.

This is such a great game. I have played from as high as 36 handicap to the lowest of positive 1 handicap and back to 13 handicap. Out of all the tournaments that I have won over the years the one's I remember the most are the 6th and 7th place trophies from juniors 30 years ago.

First on breaking 80 the easiest way to shave off those couple strokes is on and around the green and that means practice, practice, and more practice.....I know sucks huh. The good news is that if you play this game long enough you can fight breaking 80 again someday in the future.......lol

The junior programs are fading and the sport will suffer for it. The courses around here have to plan now for the revenue in the future and the only way to keep the courses nice are to get young people excited about playing. Another thing I have noticed about the junior programs around here, and one of the reasons I agreed to teach, is that they are like cattle round ups. One pro and an assistant and 100 or more kids for 2 hours. There is no one on one interaction and most of the kids don't even learn the correct grip. The course does well though, raking in hundreds of dollars and not having to disrupt the course play for more than a couple hours or so.

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:

I'm kind of surprised about the talk of losing junior golf programs. My son when he started playing went to one that was wonderful. They even had to take a test, and pass it, before being allowed onto the course.

It would be a shame to lose these junior programs. I think they're great. Heck they're fairly inexpensive, we have one going on this week at our club, and it's packed. I'd be sad to see the junior programs fade away. I wonder... is it due to the fact that we have so many junior tours around? My son plays on 3 different junior tours that cover 6 states, and he has a swing coach. Maybe more parents are getting private lessons for their kids instead of joining a camp like atmosphere?

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

Where I come from I can't stand to be around other junior golfers that aren't friends. I would love to get to know some people that are very serious but don't like competition.
In My Bag

I'm kind of surprised about the talk of losing junior golf programs. My son when he started playing went to one that was wonderful. They even had to take a test, and pass it, before being allowed onto the course.

Well I think you hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of people that start their children in a group atmosphere and then if the child takes interest they get them into the tours. If a family can't afford the private lessons and they have learned everything they can from the cookie cutter junior program then where do they turn? I think that this is where we get the people that show up in their 30's and they haven't played since they were kids. They have forgotten rules and etiquette but since it is a municipal course, the staff isn't going to tell them, the better players are stuck with the job of instructing on course or getting upset and leaving. It is a cycle that, in my area, we need to nip in the butt and educate.

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:

Where I come from I can't stand to be around other junior golfers that aren't friends. I would love to get to know some people that are very serious but don't like competition.

Dent, you are a very good golfer and with that comes the competition unfortunately. For example, everyone around the area knows that I was good at one time so whenever I show up there is a competition whether I know about it or not. I am serious but I just flat out love this game, so for me it is about playing. If you can just go out and play for yourself and forget what the others are doing you will find it more enjoyable.

Maybe some days you could just go out and join up with some people and make some new golf buddies that way.

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:

Dent, you are a very good golfer and with that comes the competition unfortunately. For example, everyone around the area knows that I was good at one time so whenever I show up there is a competition whether I know about it or not. I am serious but I just flat out love this game, so for me it is about playing. If you can just go out and play for yourself and forget what the others are doing you will find it more enjoyable.

Your right, I just get these weird thoughts in my head, These golfers dress like they own the course, think they are the stuff when they hit the clubhouse, and it makes me so angry when they laugh at other people and talk about how they "supposedly" shot the lowest score of their club etc etc.

I can't stand guys like that.
In My Bag

Note: This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!