IGNORED

greenside chipping/pitching vs long putts

prutkows
Note: This thread is 6445 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

am i the only one who prefers being anywhere from a few feet to a good 10 yards off the green rather than 40feet+ away from the hole on the putting surface?

i find that i can get a short chip/pitch much closer than a long first putt. im guessing its because i have more trouble with reading greens than judging speed. anyone else experiencing the same course management issues?

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

not me. putter in my hand is 50% chance of holing out, even from 40ft. 2-putt is about 90%. chip - no more than 10% for hole-out, maybe 75% 2-stroke finish guarantee... however - if I'm on a fringe or just in the fairway - I prefer to chip rather than putt over "stuff". I guess it's very personal thing how you like to deal with it and what are you more comfortable with...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

am i the only one who prefers being anywhere from a few feet to a good 10 yards off the green rather than 40feet+ away from the hole on the putting surface?

purtkows,

What's happening with those long putts? Are you leaving them short? Sending them 10 feet past? Both? Controlling speed is the key to long putts, since the line you choose is controlled by speed.

When putting, I get the line first and then concentrate on the distance. I think distance is alot more important than line on long putts!

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

• 4 weeks later...

No, you are not the only one. I too am far more comfortable with the short little chips & pitches around the green than the long putts from the wrong tier and quadrant of the green. It is very likely due to the fact that no less than half my practice time is spent with the wedges chipping & pitching and not much is spent practicing the long lag. I noticed this myself a while back and since I have spent more time on the long lag putt, the fear of it is vanishing, and closer putts are even easier!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

I'll take the long lag putt any day over a chip or pitch. I am pretty good around the greens, but I still have a much better chance of holing out with a putter in my hands. I only set up a general line (always higher rather than lower) for putts over 35ft and I concentrate on speed alone after that. I am a "die it in the hole" putter anyway, so speed is always my main concern. It is surprising how many of those long putts will drop when halfway there I thought I had hammered it past.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I prefer to chip if I am more than a 6 feet off the green unless it is very down hill.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 6445 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!