IGNORED

Sand Trap Question

Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played a course over the weekend that had rather hard sand traps. The traps that I normally play are pretty soft. My question is how should I play the differnt style traps?

I played a course over the weekend that had rather hard sand traps. The traps that I normally play are pretty soft. My question is how should I play the differnt style traps?

Hard sand vs. soft sand, I presume? My observation is that the harder sand responds better to lower-bounce clubs, so if the sand appears hard, I'll use my 51.7 or 46.6 instead of 56.14 ; if I were playing courses with predictably hard sand regularly, I'd get a 56 or 58 with low bounce to use.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the sand is really firm and the lip is not too high, I take Pelz's advice and chip the ball out with a PW or something like that.

SubPar

If the sand is really firm and the lip is not too high, I take Pelz's advice and chip the ball out with a PW or something like that.

This sounds good. How do you go about this? I can hit an iron out of the sand but can't imagine a solid chip coming out easily. Just hover & chip?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I open the face and my stance alot and basically flop it...works every time for me..

In my Grom Stand Bag:

Driver: Launcher 400
Hybrid: Idea a30s Boxer 2i
Irons: MP-60's 4-PWWedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.12Wedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 60.4Putter: I-Series Anser 4Ball: Prov1

This sounds good. How do you go about this? I can hit an iron out of the sand but can't imagine a solid chip coming out easily. Just hover & chip?

Pelz suggested once on TV that most of us should consider "picking" the ball out of a greenside bunker rather than immediately going to the explosion shot. If the conditions allow for it, I will hover a 9 iron, PW or GW behind the ball and then hit a little chip shot onto the green. You have to be sure to catch the ball first and follow through without taking sand between the clubface and the ball. I can get the ball pretty close this way.

SubPar

I had to play this shot on Sunday while playing a course notorious for crappy bunkers. I took a 60.08LW b/c my 56.14 bladed across the green from the same bunker a few weeks back. The "sand" was about as thick as clay, so I played the ball back in my stance & did the "hover & chip" over a 2ft lip--surprised myself and my playing partners b/c we all thought I was screwed. I recommend practicing the shot if you get the chance--it's a good one to have in the bag! -LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

For hard/compact/very wet/no sand I concentrate on a slow tempo, gliding the club under the ball, with a lower bounce club. For longer shots, I'd take a pitching wedge (47) and open the clubface slightly, execute as before with a slow swing and be sure to catch a little sand first.

I usually play out of this type of bunker so I'm very used to it. When there's more sand, I hit the ball/sand harder with a more bouncey club.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Like others have mentioned you'll benefit from using a low bounce wedge (lob wedge) out of firm sand, and a high bounce wedge (sand wedge) out of soft sand. In addition a tip you might find helpful (I learned it from Nick Faldo) is if you are in firm sand (or a downhill lie) put a little more weight on your forward leg, and if you are in softer sand (or an uphill lie) have you weight more centered, or on your back leg.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!