IGNORED

Shaping Your Drives: What Kind & How Many?

RX Phoenix
Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Mnay Shot Shapes Do You Use With Your Driver?

• ONE: Draw
    • ONE: Straight
    • ONE: Fade
    • TWO: Draw and Fade
    • TWO: Draw and Straight
    • TWO: Straight and Fade
    • THREE Draw, Straight, Fade
    • FIVE: You forget the slice and snap hook

How do you like to shape your drives and how many shot shapes do you feel comfortable using on the course with your driver?

I voted for 2, straight and fade, these two should cover almost any hole. It just seems like a bit much to have 3 reliable shapes. I struggle hitting a draw and decided that it's not worth trying to have that shot, the power fade takes care of a lot of holes and the straight ball should handle the rest, so no need for the draw.

Even the pros have trouble at times hitting 3 different shot shapes.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

One. My good drives are strait balls with a slight cut on the way down. If im confronted with a dog leg with no way to cut the corner then the 18 hyrbid or 3wood is getting pulled. If i need a bomb I have figured out the timing needed for a draw, but there is really no need to complicate things with one of the most difficult clubs to hit. Just hit it strait is my mantra.

Oh, i can also control trajectory by adjusting tee height, but the ball flight is the same.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I have a hell of a time consistantly drawing my driver... I can fade it pretty well and my great drives are either dead straight, or a slight draw/fade. I really try to concintrate on straight shots or power fades... I work on the draw at the range, but I can't call on it on demand.

What I play

Driver: 907D2
Wood:960 15*

5 Wood: 960 18*

Irons: Titleist 735 Cm 3-PW

Wedges: CG16 60* and 52*

Putter: Nike Method

On my home course it usually works out to these percentages...

85% draw
10% straight
5% fade
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

i voted 5. i wouldn't say I "use" these types of shots, I don't really like to work my driver. With my driver, I line up to hit it straight every time, and most of the time it turns into a draw or fade, with the rare snap hook that will come and bite me in the ass probably once every 5 rounds. driving is my weakness. Im pretty long but not very accurate.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

How do you like to shape your drives and how many shot shapes do you feel comfortable using on the course with your driver?

The key in your statement in my view is

at times . Everyone has times where its uncomfortable to hit one of the three. I am able, comfortable, and like to use all three shot shapes (draw, straight, and fade) during the majority of my rounds. When I'm setting up well (with good posture, balance, grip, aim, alignment, and ball position) it feels simple and I play a minimum of one of each during the round.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

My straight has a tendency to draw, so I voted 2, Draw and Fade. My fade loses a little distance, but it is pretty reliable. The draw is when i give it a more aggressive swing, and it can go straight as well.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

ONE: Fade

I can hit a draw if absolutely necessary, but for the vast majority it's a fade. My draws can quickly turn into hooks, so it is a rare shot. What is extremely rare for me (and most people I play with) is the straight shot.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I Can do all 3, but only do One: Straight.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I can work it well with my driver any of the shot shapes, and control the trajectory. I let the wind and hole often determine the type of shot I will attempt.

Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!