IGNORED

swing pics---spin/slide

Note: This thread is 5818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately I have been trying to fix my swing in an attempt to try to get past scratch (I know short game is more important but I need to fix my swing first). My one glaring flaw was a forward slide with overactive hips so that my right foot came off the ground as the downswing begins. The right foot was well off the ground at impact.

It is hard to correct this after so many years but I am trying to swing with one swing thought of keeping my right foot planted. It feels weird now, but I can see it giving me more control in the future. My "right foot grounded" swing is pictured here.

Issues that I need to work on myself but could use suggestions:
1. Too flat on backswing. Adopting a new-age backswing technique ( http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...startyourswing ) and this may be why.
2. My lie angle changes from address to impact. Not sure if this is a camera illusion though. It seems weird that the measured values (55* address, 59* impact) are very flat for a 6 iron (62.5* std?). I always assumed these ebay clubs were std lie angle clubs but never checked. I need to check. P.S. I was statically measured for 2+* upright and dynamically 4* upright.

Issue I don't know how to fix:
1. Even though I am keeping my right foot tame, I am still dropping my head significantly. Probably to get it to stay behind the ball as I SLIDE FORWARD (look at knees) or SPIN OUT (open hips) on my downswing. Too much slide is bad but some slide appears to be unavoidable. Any tips on how to correct my leg and head action on the downswing?

A previous version of my swing was posted here (Thank you everyone for insightful comments)
http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12550

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Well, I am no where near your handicap, but i'll take a shot at this. Hear me out . A lot of great players have had that head drop in their swing (chi-chi rodriguez is probably the best example). The fact is that it worked for them.

If you really feel it is impacting your consistency, then this old school drill will help you out.

Go to a hardware store and buy a stiff small diameter pole of some sort (aluminum rod, whatever) and take it to the range. Where a baseball cap and set the rod into the ground out from you leaning in at an angle so it rests on the brim of the cap when you address the ball. Take small swings, building to full swings, and try to keep that rod touching the hat brim throughout the swing, until you release past contact.

Alternatively, you can have someone put their hand on your head and make sure you stay in contact with the stationary hand through the swing (Jack Nicklaus's teacher, Jack Grout, used to hold Jack's hair to teach him not to bob or sway the head).

Keeping your head down in the swing is good for consistency (staying down through the shot), but only if it's position stays relatively constant from address. Big changes can impact your swing because it will be different every time. The rod will allow for some movement but you will feel yourself loose contact if you really shift off it.

Hope that helps.

Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Jackie T.,

I really like the looks of your swing, and after looking at the older ones, it looks like you've made a TON of progress with the lower body. I don't think it needs to be toned down any further, actually.

The backswing is flatter than the downswing, but you aren't casting or coming over the top. A lot of great players from yesteryear used to do the same thing. The only real position to pay attention to in terms of swing plane is the halfway down position from down the line view. The shaft should still be loaded, and the butt-end should be pointing at, or slightly outside the ball. Look at all the tour pros swings in this position and they almost all look identical. You are right there as well. I don't think it matters how it gets there. I think it's almost impossisble to screw up horribly if you get in it that position. A lot of players take it too flat, and come over it; you do not.

About the lie angle, I'm sure you know this already but just in case: When a shaft deflects into the ball, it not only releases forward, but down as well. This can make the club about 2* more upright due to the bow in the shaft. The other 2* probably comes from the fact that we can never make impact the exact same as address. Most good players (including yourself) make an athletic move at the ball which makes them "stand up" out of the shot ever so slightly when their hips clear. This also makes the plane a bit more upright at impact versus address. (check out Adam Scott at impact. His hips are cleared and he has a pronounced bend in his back to stay down on the shot.)

Looks great man; keep it up!

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 Tour 9.5*; Grafalloy PL Red
FW Wood: X 17*; Stock shaft
Hybrid: X 21*; Fujikura BanzaiIrons: X-18 Pro Series; S300Wedges: X forged 56* & 60*balls; tees; like $20 in change; chapstick; bugspray; a bunch of wrappers and such.

Note: This thread is 5818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!