IGNORED

Caddie - average tip??

Note: This thread is 5787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am sure this is always a controversial subject.

I am an average to poor player and visiting a friend in Oregon who invited me to Bandon Dunes. I don't think I am that type of course player but the opportunity from what I have heard is unique and I am not sure I will ever be back in that part of the country.
He wants (and reserved) caddies. I have never played with one and it is somewhat embarassing and intimidating for my level of play. (Always love when my partners say "in this hole you want to be on the left side of the fairway to have a shot at the green" when my hope is to be in the fairway....anywhere!!) ..... but...............another once in a lifetime opportunity.
Soo.... I want to tip appropiately and even a little generous (for tolerating me) even if I am not sure he will help me by telling me a lot of what I should do or where to putt, or where to hit the ball since I am inconsistent with my game.
Ideas?? Thanks

Ask how much a round cost and that might give you an idea. Also, it depends how nice he is. Some of the caddies are awesome and they also caddie for weaker player on a regular basis. He might also give you some tips if you are opened to this.

Good luck and enjoy the round.
If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

If he's a good caddie, he'll know your abilities after the first hole.
I know people that have been tipped 150 dollars for fore caddying.
I've heard 50% of the caddie fee is a good tip.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

If he's a good caddie, he'll know your abilities after the first hole.

The following is from the Bandon Dunes website. www.bandondunesgolf.com Caddie Services At Bandon Dunes, we believe that the game of golf is best experienced by walking with a caddie — truly, golf as it was meant to be. When you use a caddie, you're helping preserve a tradition 500 years in the making and giving hundreds of people the opportunity to perform their trade. Bag fees and gratuities are paid directly to the caddie. You may charge the fee to your room or credit card in either golf shop. The amount of any gratuity is the sole discretion of the player. No one else may determine a gratuity, nor may anyone demand one. Our expectation is that a caddie's performance will exceed your expectations and warrant at least a $25 gratuity. If you wish to comment on a caddie's performance please feel free to contact any of our Caddie Managers at 541-347-5741.

I think I might be able to help. This is how it works at the course I work at. There are different levels of caddies. R, B, A, and AA. R's are recruits who are new to caddying and are still learning the course and maybe the game, they expect around 25 dollars. B caddies are the next step up, they get around 30. A's know more and are usually better golfers and expect around 40-50 a round. AA are usually good golfers and know the course inside and out and are the best caddies. They carry two bags at a time and they expect from 50-75 dollars per bag per round. I am a AA so i make anywhere from 90 to 150 dollars a round. Forecaddies are different. They dont carry you bag but they go out onto the fairway before you tee off. They give you hand signals to tell you where your tee shot went. A baseball signal of safe means that he knows where your ball is and you will be able to play it. A point to the leftor right means that your ball is out of play in that direction. And a point down to the ground means that you are in a hazard. They also will help you around the greens. They are paid by the entire group and expect 10-15 dollars per person. I hope this helps.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I don't use caddies a lot at home but do play resort courses with caddies. It is a good idea to check with the caddie master, the pro shop or on the resort website to find out what is the norm in the region and course you are playing. Typically the caddies payment is split into a base fee which is required and a tip which is dependent on performance. If the caddie is horrible you need not tip. If he is okay $20-$30 is a good range at most courses. If he is above average $30-$50 is a good tip. It would be unusual for an "average joe" to tip much more than $50. Unless you are a real high roller or had the round of your life becaue of the caddie's great green reading skills a $150 tip is not something that would be very common.

From my experience the amounts that TCC Caddie referred to in his post are the aggregate of the fee and tip, not just the tip.

PS - When I played TCC (Brookline) I had a great caddie. He found every ball I hit into the extremely deep rough and despite not loosing one ball beacuse of the caddie, I still had one of the worst rounds of my life. That course is tough. The rough was as deep and thick as any course I've played.

I agree with the responses here. $20 is on the low end and $40 is on the high end, if you had the time of your life and can afford it then double it up to $80. If it's a real high end establishment then go higher.

At Bandon Dunes I'd go for at least $40 if the caddie does a good job, $30 if it's mediocre, if it's superior then go $60-75.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Note: This thread is 5787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!