IGNORED

Is it the equipment or the money?

Note: This thread is 5791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Suzuki is a massive company and they never could build a 250 that suited McGrath like the Honda did so there is the possibility that another company couldn't match what Nike (or whomever) does for Tiger. Look at the speculation about Tiger and back up Scottys. IIRC most said Scotty can't seem to recreate the SC he has been using since forever. (Although I read that given the time line - the SC Tiger uses would more than likely have been made in the Bettinardi shop - since then they haven't been able to recreate it in Titleist's place)

Tiger's putter has been recreated. It's not even a special putter - just a standard Cameron model that he's got a bunch of. I also believe Tiger's not using the same exact putter as he was after his first major (which was of course with the TeI3), and that the head has been switched several times, and each of those heads has been repaired (small dings) and adjusted (loft, lie) several times each. Scotty makes several at a time in case Tiger ever needs them and throws out the ones he doesn't take. I think one or two got onto eBay somehow a few years ago.

Anyway, probably not on topic here. Tiger plays a non-Nike putter because that's what he wants. He has faith in it and has said he's not likely to ever switch, regardless of the money. Nike's getting their value out of him and they probably were when he had a bag full of Titleists, too. He kept those clubs until Nike could build clubs that suited him, and that he liked. Part of why Tiger likes Nike is because it's not just about the money - it's about his involvement in the R&D.; Why is this year's Platinum "Tiger approved"? Because he's involved. If he didn't like it, he'd still be playing a ball you can't buy, and they'd let him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It seems like just about every kid of teenager I see out on the course has either a Nike hat, Nike shirt or plays Nike equipment.

I'm not a teenager, nor is Tiger Woods my favorite golfer, but some of the most important clubs in my bag (driver and wedges) are Nike.

I got the driver because I was able to get it with an Aldila VS Proto shaft for $20 more than the cost of the shaft alone. I figured I would pull the shaft if I didn't like the head. Turns out it has been a nice club - I'm hitting more fairways than ever and the face is not obnoxiously closed like most drivers these days. It easily kicked the Callaway X460 Tour I was using at the time out of the bag. I chose their wedges over the Vokey Spin Milled because they are cast from the same type of steel as the Vokeys and were available in a finish I liked more. They have a similar head shape and I like the stock S400 shaft more than the S200 the Vokeys come with stock. I really just liked them more in almost every way and the price was lower to boot. None of my Nike Purchases were made as a result of marketing or had anything to do with Tiger Woods. I compared products from all different brands and chose what made the most sense for me. I find the assertion that anyone using Nike Equipment is caught up in "Tigermania" or being sucked in by Nike's marketing machine a bit insulting. Fact is, they make quality equipment and I give it equal consideration with Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, etc. when I make new purchases.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Although your purchases were not based on Tiger, they were in some way. Nike was not involved in Golf until they had him. Now that is called getting your money's worth, if you are Nike.

On response to the original topic, many guys, especially on the lower level, are in it for the money.

A few years ago at the local Nationwide Tour event, I became friendly with one of the players. He was Titleist from head to toe. This was a guy who was top five in GIR just about every year and he was using the 690's I think. I asked if that is what he preferred, or if that is what he had to play. He told me he didn't get paid much from Titleist, but had full support on the road and could have any equipment he wanted that they had available. I asked him about Mizuno's and he said he actually preferred the Mizuno irons but they didn't offer him anything to play them. So in his case it was the money and support.

I think many of the players who don't make the top dollars from playing, count on the money they might get from a supplier just to get by so they will play whatever is offered to them.

On another note, Ricky Carmichael had no problems winning titles when he switched bikes...

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

None of my Nike Purchases were made as a result of marketing or had anything to do with Tiger Woods. I compared products from all different brands and chose what made the most sense for me. I find the assertion that anyone using Nike Equipment is caught up in "Tigermania" or being sucked in by Nike's marketing machine a bit insulting. Fact is, they make quality equipment and I give it equal consideration with Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, etc. when I make new purchases.

No need to take it as an insult, its merely my opinion.

Consider this though, before Tiger signed with Nike, they were pretty much nonexistent in the golf world. Then all of the sudden, Tiger is with Nike, and Nike is all over the place in golf. Had it not been for Tiger, his r&d; work with Nike, his wins with Nike products and all that; you and many other people would have never even considered Nike when making your golf purchases. So, in a way you did buy into Tigermania and the Nike marketing machine. Im not saying that you said you had to play Nike stuff just because Tiger plays Nike, but I dont think you can honestly say that it didnt play at least a small part in your decision. If you like your Nikes, cool. I dont recall ever saying that Nike doesnt make good stuff.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Anyway, probably not on topic here. Tiger plays a non-Nike putter because that's what he wants. He has faith in it and has said he's not likely to ever switch, regardless of the money. Nike's getting their value out of him and they probably were when he had a bag full of Titleists, too. He kept those clubs until Nike could build clubs that suited him, and that he liked.

Ive often wondered why Tiger doesnt play a Nike putter. I didnt know if it was that Scott Cameron's putters are just that much better (perhaps some sort of design that is copyrighted) or what the deal was.

I cant believe that with how deep Nike's pockets are that they couldnt make Tiger a putter that is just as good, if not better than his Cameron.
Part of why Tiger likes Nike is because it's not just about the money - it's about his involvement in the R&D.; Why is this year's Platinum "Tiger approved"? Because he's involved. If he didn't like it, he'd still be playing a ball you can't buy, and they'd let him.

Thats cool and that gives me a newfound respect for Tiger and Nike.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

No need to take it as an insult, its merely my opinion.

Nope, I bought a driver for the shaft and ended up liking it. I bought wedges because they fit what I was looking for at a decent price. Is Tiger a major reason that Nike makes the products they do? Sure, but I don't think I've ever even seen the wedges advertised. If I was that prone to buying heavily marketed clubs, I'd be carrying Vokeys. My point is just that I studiously research every product I purchase. Hype has nothing to do with it. Your opinion, in my case, is incorrect.

Im not saying that you said you had to play Nike stuff just because Tiger plays Nike, but I dont think you can honestly say that it didnt play at least a small part in your decision.

Uh, yes I can. I've listed my reasons for buying Nike clubs twice now, neither of them were because of marketing or Tiger.

*Edit* In an attempt to get myself on topic I'll say that I don't think Tiger would play for just any company that paid him the most. If Nike didn't provide clubs for him that met his criteria, he would not play them - as he's proven. If a company offered to pay more than Nike, but he had to play what they wanted instead of what he chose, he would probably laugh at them.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

• Administrator
But Nike didnt make clubs before Tiger.

ON TOPIC, please, and for the last time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!