IGNORED

For Those Of You Who Look Deeply into Statistics

Dent
Note: This thread is 5799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...based on your program (scorecard, greenskeeper, etc) what does the program show you you need to work on?

For me its the following:

Hit The Fairway

GIR FWY HIT: 63.64%
GIR Left Rough: 61.29%
GIR Right Rough: 40.00%

Without hitting fairways for me I may have trouble getting on the green.

Practise Approach

Putts Per GIR: 1.96
Putts Per Missed GIR: 1.64

Im a horrible putter when I hit the green, mostly because of a mental block. I'm either soo worried about the birdie when I'm on the dance floor. When I'm off, I'm not worried about scoring, result: Less putts, a closer approach.

This shows me I'm leaving my approach way far away from the pin, and can easily result in 2 or 3 putts instead of 1 putts.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I don't use a program, I just count them up at the end of my rounds.

My putts are consistantly between 30-33 per round.
My GIR are consistent, 7 being low, 12 being high end.

But my fairways hit are all over. 50% is an excellent number for me. I have hit as few as 2 and still considered it a good round (shot 78 that day). Of course, a dozen of those missed fairways might be in some light rough or be in perfectly fine shape, but this was eye opening to me, as I had no idea that I was so poor at hitting the fairway. The other day I hit 50%, and that was the highest I had hit in a while.

I need to take a new approach with regard to driving accuracy. I don't know what that approach is yet, but I would like to get my fairways hit up to 50% more regularly, as opposed to the 20-30% where I am sitting these days.

I used to have your problem with regard to putting after a GIR. I used to get nervous and think, "oh no, I don't want to have another 3 putt bogey..." I think I'm over that now. I know people are always offering up books to read and such, but I really found that Bob Rotella's Putting Out of Your Mind helped me get over that mental block. He does not give any technical advice about the putting stroke, just mental approach. He might not even give you any new information, but it is refreshing to hear it, and I think it helped me (and the book is short, you could read it in a few hours):

And just as another note, I would think that Putts when hitting the GIR would be higher, as you are going to leave yourself longer putts. It is tough to knock a 160 yd shot 15 feet away. But if you have a pitch/chip to the green, you expect it to be closer to 15 ft.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Thanks to scorecard(show model waving hand in front of product), I have learned I pretty much need to work on all parts of my game. Mostly GIR, many rounds I have found my score per GIR is under par, all be it slightly under. I would say that GIR is my biggest problem though. When I miss the fairway it is usually not by much and I should still be getting on the greens.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

...based on your program (scorecard, greenskeeper, etc) what does the program show you you need to work on?

Statistics are good for pointing out strengths and weaknesses, but they don't tell you how to correct your flaws to improve them. For example GIR might be a weakness, but that information will not necessarily reveal how to hit more greens. I have nine scores entered in the scorecard system to date (I'll probably need around twenty before it starts to give me an accurate measure of my strengths and weaknesses).

As far as putting statistics I believe total putts to be an unhelpful statistic. Below is my best vs worst rounds statistics and individual round general statistics to date, so far correlation between the statistics are relatively weak. *The 6/10 round was before I started recording 1st putt distance.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Those look like some good numbers to me.As far as those numbers go, you seem to have very little flaws in your game. I'm just pointing out that I was kinda iffy about scorecard at first, wondering if all these statistics can improve you game, although they can't litterally improve that. They show what you need to work on. By looking at that statistic I know what it's about and what part of my game it has to deal with, its a big help.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Statistics are good for pointing out strengths and weaknesses, but they don't tell you how to correct your flaws to improve them. For example GIR might be a weakness, but that information will not necessarily reveal how to hit more greens.]

I agree with you, however I did include....

I have learned I pretty much

So yeah, just knowing the stats won't help my game, but it will tell me what I need to improve upon. So today at the range I spent most of my time working on distance control hitting to the greens and gave the driver a rest. Played a game of Horse with my buddy requiring all shots to stay on the greens.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Note: This thread is 5799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!