IGNORED

Going to try to play Bethpage Black in August...

Note: This thread is 5780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone have any suggestions on getting on to the Black course as a single? I am going to NYC for the Sox/Yankees game on 8/28 at 1 PM, so I could either play Wed late morning/afternoon or Friday morning. Which day do you those of you have played before recommend. I'm not from NY, so from everything I've read it's pretty hard to get a tee time, and my best chance is just to show up as earlier as I can and hope to get out. Does that sound about right, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

909 D2 9.5° Driver - Diamana Blue Board Stiff
F-60 3W - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
CLK FLI-HI 17°/20° Hybrids - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
MP-57 4-PW - True Temper Dynalite Gold Superlite S300
MP-T 54°/12° & 60°/8° - Rifle Spinner Bettinardi C-03 Putter Pro V1x

that's the way i did it: i showed up about 8:00 wednesday morning and went out around 1.

showing up on a wednesday afternoon and hoping to get out might be pretty tough, and I'd imagine a friday afternoon (is that before labor day?) could be pretty competitive to make it on.

maybe you should roll down tuesday evening, stay somewhere cheap, and wake up to play wednesday...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

that's the way i did it: i showed up about 8:00 wednesday morning and went out around 1.

What time of year did you go there?

And it's the Wednesday and Friday before Labor Day weekend, so Friday it is probably going to be absolutely packed, right? I'll try to get there Tuesday night if I can, but if not if I got to Bethpage around 10 am Wednesday morning, what do you think my chances of getting out in time to get a full round in are?

909 D2 9.5° Driver - Diamana Blue Board Stiff
F-60 3W - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
CLK FLI-HI 17°/20° Hybrids - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
MP-57 4-PW - True Temper Dynalite Gold Superlite S300
MP-T 54°/12° & 60°/8° - Rifle Spinner Bettinardi C-03 Putter Pro V1x

i was also there in august, but the second week of the month.

trust me though, i'm not the resident Black expert on these boards; I've only played it once...there are others who have enjoyed it much more frequently than i have...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

I'd try Friday morning because you want to play the whole course. If you play late afternoon Wednesday, you might not play the closing holes, which I wouldn't want to miss. Get there at sunrise and hopefully you'll have a tee time around 11ish, 12ish.

If you go Wednesday, usually there is a lull before 4pm, when the twilight rate takes effect and that's when you have the best chance of getting an opening. If you get out, 2:30 to 3pm, you should be able to finish.

I was there Wednesday at 2:30 to play Red at 3 and finished just before dark. Saw a late 2:45 ish time for Black available. Caveat emptor, I haven't played Black this year.

Good luck and enjoy.

BTW, I got grief for wearing my Red Sox cap last time I played at Bethpage. Ironically, I'm not fan of any particular team, just a generic, fairweather baseball fan. I have most of the Eastern team caps (I get one for every stadium I've been to).

Oh and call in to check the course is not closed for any event or tournament.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First off ditch the Red Sox attire.Second if you go out at 3 or later you will get 14 in.I would say your best bet is get there and line up in parking lot about 4am on friday and you should get no worse than 11am.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Note: This thread is 5780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!