IGNORED

Great swing discovery at the range today

topspin4hand
Note: This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just returned from the range. I think I just figured out how to hit my long irons this evening!

I'm a newbie to golf. I'm an early 30's basketball player who needed another leisure activity that didn't result in leg surgeries so I took up golf. I spent the 2004 summer on the range basically driving the ball. 2005 and 2006 summers were lost to achilles tendon surgery and ACL surgery respectively (ironically I just finished my residency in orthopedics a couple yrs ago :( ). This spring I played my 1st full 18 on a course.

I have not improved like some on here but I basically drive the ball well and chip around the green moderately well (for my level). I have no idea about controlling length on my putts and the worst part of my game are my irons. I cannot explain how deflating it is to drive the ball down the fairway (240-250 yds) time and time again only to skull an approach (or chunk an approach). This is basically why I shoot an average of 105-110 normally.

So after the last debacle on the course where I was driving the ball as well as a guy with a 8 or 9 handicap - but he was scoring 79 while I was scoring 113 - I promised myself to take an evening and just hit irons at targets on the range. I basically figured out that I was not uncocking my wrist (pardon me if I butcher some terminology) on my downswing before contact. On my 7-iron thru 9i I got away with this b/c of my swing plane was so close to my body. On my 5i and 6i this would result in the occasional 10/100 slice (10 yds forward / 100 yards to the right). So this evening, I focused on letting/guiding the clubhead fall back to square on the downswing and voila! a nice straight ball. I tried this on my 7i thru 9i and I hit those better as well. This also helped me find the bottom of my swing easier for some reason. Another problem I have with my irons that I blame on being 6'3" but that I know other taller beginners don't particularly struggle with ... Anyway, this was a great practice day and will make up for the past couple Saturdays where I played with no week practice in between and made the same errors.

Sorry this was so long, but that's how much I love this sport. Saturday, I play the toughest course I've ever played when my Saturday morning docs league heads to a course with a 145 slope (highest I've played) so I hope I don't get destroyed.

The only thing that matters right now is that you are enjoying yourself. You will get better with time and practice. With more practice you will start to notice certain things like this. It will all make you a better player.

Did you get fitted for irons? I would imagine you probably want at least +1/2" and probably 1 or 2 degree upright.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

Did you get fitted for irons? I would imagine you probably want at least +1/2" and probably 1 or 2 degree upright.

Yes. Mine are +3/4 but 1 degree flat. It's astonishing how much that small bit of length makes mentally.

Note: This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!