IGNORED

Mid Hdcp: USE PRO V1!!

Note: This thread is 5911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So today I went out and played a round for the first time since I got my new driver, and was hitting the balls considerably straighter with this new driver and figured I wouldn't lose nearly as many and decided to use some Pro V1's I found throughout the last few weeks.

I lost my first ball on hole 2, hooked into some trees. After that I was playing a refinished Pro V1 for the rest of the round, never lost it.

This was the last round I played with my ol' crappy Golden Bear wedges, and previously even on perfect chips and pitches, I'd have to play the roll to get the ball close. Not the Pro V1.

I never spun one back, but I have crappy wedges(ordered Vokey's, getting them next week), although I can't believe how easy it was to check these things. At one point I actually semi-bladed a 60* wedge from about 60 yards out, a low line drive. It took one hop and STUCK about 6 in. from the pin. EVERY chip/pitch I felt like I could go right at the pin as it either stuck immediately, or took one hop and stuck.

Driver distance? No shorter. Probably farther...

If you are a mid handicapper and are afraid to use these for money purposes or losing them, just go to golfsmith and get them for $14.99+$5 shipping for a dozen. In fact, these balls probably saved one or two, as instead of hopping over the green into the woods, it stopped on the green.

PRO V1 IS AMAZING.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

Thanks Flop. I switched to them and really enjoyed using them, plus a local place sells great used ones for $20.99 a dozen here in Tampa. I still use my NXTs but like the spinnier Pro Vs.

I came across some X-Out ProV1's and Decided to try them in place of my usual TaylorMade TP Black. I love the ProV1, but don't like the ProV1x as much. I looked around and found some boxes on sale and made the switch. I might still play the TP Blacks on windy days or for practice, but I am now a fan of the ProV1. I just love the soft feel and the spin. I really don't care about distance. With this ball I can make a 3 iron stick to the green.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I really don't care about distance.

Gasp! Haha. Yeah, I would much rather have control and accuracy than distance.

In my Extreme Sport II Carry bag:
Burner Draw 9.5
Firesole 5 Wood
Firesole 3-PW
PureSpin GW and LW (Low price, High quality)Spalding SW XG Sabertooth Laddie Extreme for practice. Juice, with HS insignia printed.Soon to be: r7 Draw preowned 3-PWELHS VARSITY GOLFER!

Not so fast! I've been a ProV1 player for quite some time, but recently went to a distance ball which enables me to use 1 to 2 irons less on approach shots. Why, . . . my swing speed has dropped so that I'm not compressing the ProV1 enough to get the distance consistently.

I'd rather hit a 9 iron than a 7 iron on any hole.

As for the advantage of spin, this comes into play on some types of greens, but less on others, the higher trajectory of a short iron will stop the ball just as well. No doubt it's a great ball if you have the swing speed 105+, but if it's at 95ish then a good distance ball will probably out perform it and lower your handicap.

If your course is one with small greens where you have to do a lot of chipping then I might go with the ProV1.

Distance balls are getting much better, not like the rocks of old.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I really am impressed with the wilson staff 50. Its really easy to compress and they roll really nice with putting. I'm trying the zip but i think the 50 is the ball for me.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Is there anywhere I could get my hands on Pro V1's cheaper?

In My NEW Bag:
Driver: 360 Ti
Woods, Hybrids, Wedges & Irons: Acuity Hiper Max
Big Bertha 7 Wood
Putter - P52 Chipping Putter: Flag AttackShoes: FootJoyBall: NXT Tour, D2Glove: Warbird 2

Is there anywhere I could get my hands on Pro V1's cheaper?

You can get used ProV1's at Golfsmith and other places for about $20/per doz. They perform real well.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Well see, I get my balls off of a guy who sells them from his house, he gets them shipped from South Carolina to here and sells them 5 bucks a dozen, He sorts them into Titleist, but not Pro V1, etc

In My NEW Bag:
Driver: 360 Ti
Woods, Hybrids, Wedges & Irons: Acuity Hiper Max
Big Bertha 7 Wood
Putter - P52 Chipping Putter: Flag AttackShoes: FootJoyBall: NXT Tour, D2Glove: Warbird 2

I love playing ProV1's, but my Grandpa recently gave me two dozen Precept Laddie Extreme. These balls play great for being super cheap (or free ), but Ill be playing my Juice again during the HS golf season. I love playing them, but theyre not in my budget... new or used.

In my Extreme Sport II Carry bag:
Burner Draw 9.5
Firesole 5 Wood
Firesole 3-PW
PureSpin GW and LW (Low price, High quality)Spalding SW XG Sabertooth Laddie Extreme for practice. Juice, with HS insignia printed.Soon to be: r7 Draw preowned 3-PWELHS VARSITY GOLFER!

No doubt it's a great ball if you have the swing speed 105+, but if it's at 95ish then a good distance ball will probably out perform it and lower your handicap.

If thats the case, you could always go with a Pro V1x. That way youd get more distance and youd have almost as much spin on the greens.

A moderatly priced distance ball would probably be fine off the tee, but I dont think it would hold the greens as well as a Pro V1/V1x.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I've stopped using the ProV1 since arriving in Dubai - greens are very soft here, so you can stop anything on them. The ProV1 was getting too much spin and zipping back off greens. Changed to the NXT Tour which was much better. Last week as an experiment I got a dozen of the new PTS Carry - these are fantastic. Longer drives and still getting them to stop on greens. Even a well struck 5 iron will stop within around 3 feet of its pitch mark.

When I go back to play in the UK I'll no doubt return to ProV1, but for now, the additional cost of them is not worth it as they actually cost me strokes on the course.

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

Not so fast! I've been a ProV1 player for quite some time, but recently went to a distance ball which enables me to use 1 to 2 irons less on approach shots. Why, . . . my swing speed has dropped so that I'm not compressing the ProV1 enough to get the distance consistently.

I agree, I bought 1 dozen Pro V1 and 1 dozen V1x just to see what the hype is all about and so far I'm not a bit impressed. I like the Bridgestone E6+ much better. Better distance, much straighter and still has 75% of the soft feel of the V1.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

So today I went out and played a round for the first time since I got my new driver, and was hitting the balls considerably straighter with this new driver and figured I wouldn't lose nearly as many and decided to use some Pro V1's I found throughout the last few weeks.

My sentiments exactly. I had an almost identical experience using a pro v1 for the first time a few weeks ago. Everything you describe happened to me. I even had the same semi bladed lob wedge shot from 60 yards out! That is the shot that sold me. I couldnt believe that ball actually stopped immediatly instead of bouncing off the back of the green.

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

My sentiments exactly. I had an almost identical experience using a pro v1 for the first time a few weeks ago. Everything you describe happened to me. I even had the same semi bladed lob wedge shot from 60 yards out! That is the shot that sold me. I couldnt believe that ball actually stopped immediatly instead of bouncing off the back of the green.

I don't want to bash anyone but here is my concern....

You are forming your opinion on a ball based on mishits? So how often do you blade or semi-balde your approach shots? Unless this is something you do on purpose I don't see how this can be any gauge for how "good" a ball is for you. How did the ball perform on good shots? I am not going to tell you which balls to play as long as you consistantly use the same ball. If you don't lose balls during your round then there is no reason why even a very high handicapper can't use the expensive balls but if you are losing 2-3 balls each round then I would say it's not worth the money....at $5 a ball the bill adds up quick if you lose 2-3 a round.

If it checks on bladed wedges - it HAS to check on nice shots, and it did for me. It even hurt me once because I was not used to using the Prov1, I chipped it a little short expecting the roll to the cup and it just stopped.

What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

Yes I am forming an opinon on how the ball reacted to a mishit. I can normally get my normal balls to check up just fine. I have never had a ball check up on a semi-bladed wedge shot.

I semi blade or blade a wedge shot maybe once a round. My wedges are the best part of my game. If I had been using my normal Callaway Bite ball it would have sailed over the green and OB. So it is nice to know that I can mishit a wedge and still have it check up. I fail to see how this could be a concern?
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

If it checks on bladed wedges - it HAS to check on nice shots, and it did for me. It even hurt me once because I was not used to using the Prov1, I chipped it a little short expecting the roll to the cup and it just stopped.

Yes I am forming an opinon on how the ball reacted to a mishit. I can normally get my normal balls to check up just fine. I have never had a ball check up on a semi-bladed wedge shot.

So the next time you blade a wedge shot and it doesn't check up are you going to send the ball packing? We're not talking about a slight mishit here, when I blade a shot it's a crap shoot and the results are hardly predictable. That is like saying this ball is really good because last time I hit a tree with it, the ball bounced right back to the middle of the fairway instead of it going deeper.

Note: This thread is 5911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!