IGNORED

Short Game Chef (Parker McLachlin) Short Game Videos

iacas

• Administrator

These are brought to you by The Golfer's Journal.

I highly recommend you sign up for TGJ. You can click that text or the link right here:

060121_tgj_01409.jpg

The foundation of our reader-supported model. Become a member of The Golfer’s Journal and start receiving benefits today.

Share your thoughts on these videos down below.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been watching the Short Game Chef as he popped up on my feed a few weeks ago. He's got some good stuff for sure. The low spinner video "Pause Drill" has made a difference in how I practiced this week. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I only watched the first video so far but I like it. It reinforces things I’m working on as I try to find my pitching motion again. I tend to get a little too much wrist hinge and make too long of a backswing. For me the key is similar to what’s stated in the video: less hinge and low inside takeaway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I watched them all. The pitch and flop videos are very similar to how @iacas taught me in Erie for chip and pitch. Very similar to the chip and pitch videos here.

In the sand video, he has the ball a bit back from where I’ve been taught, but it may just be the camera angles. The low hands, wide stance, handle back, forward body lean are the same as I’ve been taught.

The low spinner video was something new for me and I really don’t do that type of shot. I mostly do the first video type swing for most shots and then a pitch from rough.

I liked his comment in the lesson video about learning to love turf interaction. And his emphasis on setup helping you there is helpful.

Setup is the key for all these shots and that’s where I slip at times on the course. I need to practice setup a lot more. I tend to get the handle too far forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have seen these videos previously, as well as a bunch of his others, and have been focusing on developing the stock pitch and need to do more work on bunker shots, which is a weak area for me. Frankly, at my handicap level neither the Flop or the Low Spinner are "go to" shots for me anyways, but I have tried both. 

I find Parker's explanations clear and easy to follow...and execute. Also really liked some of the other content on TGJ. 

Edited by Bob M
clarity
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

I watched the first two (pitch, low spinner). Plan to watch the last two (flop, bunker) later today.

I didn't quite get the physics of the low spinner shot, I need to watch again and pay more attention. I don't think this is a shot I would attempt on course though. I probably use a basic pitch shot >90% of the time.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2023 at 10:28 PM, Darkfrog said:

I watched the first two (pitch, low spinner). Plan to watch the last two (flop, bunker) later today.

I didn't quite get the physics of the low spinner shot, I need to watch again and pay more attention. I don't think this is a shot I would attempt on course though. I probably use a basic pitch shot >90% of the time.

Hi! It's perfectly normal not to grasp all the nuances of the low spinner shot on first viewing, and watching it again with more attention should help you better understand the physical principles behind it. Even if it's not a shot you feel comfortable attempting on the course, it's always worth learning different shot techniques to improve your overall golfing skills. For the majority of your shots, you rely on a basic pitch, which is a reliable and commonly used technique in golf, accounting for over 90% of your approach shots. It's essential to have a reference shot that you can execute with confidence on the course. As you develop your knowledge and skills, you may have the opportunity to incorporate other shots into your game when the situation calls for it. Happy golfing!

• Confused 1

On 7/26/2023 at 2:41 PM, jonessey said:

Hi! It's perfectly normal not to grasp all the nuances of the low spinner shot on first viewing, and watching it again with more attention should help you better understand the physical principles behind it. Even if it's not a shot you feel comfortable attempting on the course, it's always worth learning different shot techniques to improve your overall golfing skills. For the majority of your shots, you rely on a basic pitch, which is a reliable and commonly used technique in golf, accounting for over 90% of your approach shots. It's essential to have a reference shot that you can execute with confidence on the course. As you develop your knowledge and skills, you may have the opportunity to incorporate other shots into your game when the situation calls for it. Happy golfing!

I could be wrong, but this reads like ChatGPT wrote this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

3 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I could be wrong, but this reads like ChatGPT wrote this.

Ha! Rereading it, I think you might be right!

Colin P.