IGNORED

Over the Top (Video)

Note: This thread is 5748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Haha... I wish I was a touring pro. Only if I had started the game earlier!!!

when you go out this sunday to your local muni, theres nothing wrong with pretending that you are at the world golf championship

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

when you go out this sunday to your local muni, theres nothing wrong with pretending that you are at the world golf championship

I guess I'll play at Bethpage like its 2009 U.S. Open.

« Keith »

What are some good drills to train oneself not to overswing? It seems we are suggesting to junki to trim down the swing but how? Here we have an athletic, flexible golfer who can easily get in the overswing position. I think there has to be more than just willing yourself to not overswing. I thought of a couple of ideas, tell me if you concur.

There is this drill whereby you first set your arms and wrist before you turn the shoulders. You get in the address position and lift your arms into position only. In other words throw the club over your back shoulder into the desired position without turning your shoulders at all. Set the arms, set the wrist and with that done simply make a shoulder turn. Don't do anything with the hands and arms. Practice this until you get the position at the top you desire: Parallel shaft, elbows in close, full shoulder turn. You can even hit balls with this drill. Once set at the top, make a swing.

The other thing I thought about was simply slow motion drills in front of a mirror. Practice your swing getting the proper arm lift and shoulder turn to get the desired position at the top. If you get the feel for the proper position, it may be easier to achieve it on the course or at the range.

Does any of this sound reasonable? What other drills could help?

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

The other thing I thought about was simply slow motion drills in front of a mirror. Practice your swing getting the proper arm lift and shoulder turn to get the desired position at the top. If you get the feel for the proper position, it may be easier to achieve it on the course or at the range.

more or less the way i did it. i had video feedback at golftec, so i was able to rewind my swing after each swing to see how far i brought back the club. the mirror is the same idea. he needs to understand how far a proper backswing feels. Flexibility is a wasted thing if you overswing with it.

Another little note is that when i adjusted my grip to a very fundamentally sound one, i felt the overswing coming much easier...and it was easier to stop it.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

hi just a quick comment on this
Keith - one thing I know is a bit of an issue from your video - is that at the top of your swing your wrists collapse and the club dips way below parallel. That makes its very hard to not come over the top and also hard to 'slot' the club creating a straight ball flight or a draw depending on what you prefer.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

hi just a quick comment on this

Anything to help this? I don't want to keep my wrist stiff at the top. Also, do not want to come to a complete stop at the top to lose my rhythm.

« Keith »

Anything to help this? I don't want to keep my wrist stiff at the top. Also, do not want to come to a complete stop at the top to lose my rhythm.

having a proper grip puts your hands and wrists at the proper position at the top.

i made a thread a few days ago called Gripping the Club. watch the video in there.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*

Hi Keith,

Other than being aware and taking a three quarter swing I am not sure what will help. Having said that - I think ( I am no pro so take this as you want) - for you, a 3/4 swing would actually be a FULL swing. Also, try to to maybe set your wrists a little earlier and hold that set and feel the triangle formed with your arms do the back swing - that helped me eliminate active wrists in my own back swing. one last thing.. a nice gentle pause at the top of the swing is a good thing in my book - I see a lot of pros do that - its easy to jerk the club down and returning the face to square becomes infinitely harder the less smooth the swing becomes - again just my 2 cents

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Note: This thread is 5748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!