IGNORED

checking in from bama

wilnham
Note: This thread is 5760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

thanks, i wouldnt mind playing capitol hill, is cambrian ridge the really costly course?

The two really costly ones are Ross Bridge (Birmingham) and Lakewood Golf Club (Fairhope). Lakewood was built back in the 40s and is only on the trail because they wanted to incorporate the Marriot Grand Hotel and Spa which adjoins it. Ross Bridge is $110+ to play.

Prattville has Capitol Hill, which has a $10 upcharge if you play "The Judge" course. It's worth it, and if you play during the summer you can frequently get heat discounts/twilight discounts so it ends up evening out. Capitol Hill hosts the LPGA Navistar Classic, although they play it on the Senator course rather than the Judge because the Senator has better camera angle possibilities (the Judge borders water 14 times and they can't get good shooting angles). They also have the Legislator course there, which I have yet to play. It's traditional, the Judge is a tricked-up monster and the Senator is a Scottish links-style course that is fun as heck. Cambrian Ridge is in Greenville, pretty much the most pedestrian city on the Trail. It has three 9-hole courses plus an executive. The three 9s are the Sherling, Canyon and Loblolly courses. The Loblolly is unique in that it was built with Augusta National in mind, and I'm told does a pretty good job of mimicking it in a way. But the Sherling and Canyon courses are the really unique ones. Lots of elevation changes and the finishing holes on both are two of the best on the trail. You combine two nines to make a round there, so if you can reserve the Sherling-Canyon loop you'll get the best mix. It's regular price there. Jess

Good to see some Alabama folks on here. I grew up in Huntsville, now living in LA. I used to play the muni at the old airport once a week, but that was a long time ago.
War Eagle!

Good to see some Alabama folks on here. I grew up in Huntsville, now living in LA. I used to play the muni at the old airport once a week, but that was a long time ago.

The old muni at the Huntsville Airport has gone rather upscale in the last 5-10 years...upscale meaning they poured enough money in it to make the grass grow, changed the name and then jacked up the prices.

Still beats the other city course across town, which is now dominated by the buzz of model airplane pilots every time I've ever played it. Jess

Are you talking about Sunset Landing at the new airport? I was talking about Huntsville Municipal at Airport Rd. and the Parkway...seems like there were model planes there when I was there 12 years ago.

I have an interesting story about Sunset Landing. I was caught out on the course in the worst thunderstorm I have ever seen, and I saw a tree get struck by lightening a couple of hundred yards away - a big branch fell off and was smoking! All I could think about was a quote Lee Trevino once said: "If you're on the course in a lightening storm, hold up in 1-iron high in the air, because even God can't hit a 1-iron!"

yea i've heard that before too, i actually hit a 1 iron pretty well??

9.5* Hibore XL Tour
15.5* 3dx 2-iron hybrid
DCI 990B 3-PW
Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56* and 60*
White Steel 2-ball Gamer

Wow, a lot of Bama folks here. I'm in Northeast Alabama myself. Right around Anniston.

I play with Idea A2 OS hybrids.
But not for much longer .

cool, who all is from NW alabama, the shoals area

9.5* Hibore XL Tour
15.5* 3dx 2-iron hybrid
DCI 990B 3-PW
Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56* and 60*
White Steel 2-ball Gamer

Wow, a lot of Bama folks here. I'm in Northeast Alabama myself. Right around Anniston.

If you're in NE Alabama, go play Goose Pond Colony in Scottsboro. It's in my personal "50 best" course list.

Also, I'd love a report on Gunter's Landing from anyone who has played it. Heard it's a really neat course. Jess

If you're in NE Alabama, go play Goose Pond Colony in Scottsboro.

I'll check that out Jess. Scottsboro is about 45 minute drive, I think.

I play with Idea A2 OS hybrids.
But not for much longer .

Note: This thread is 5760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!