IGNORED

Stand Bag Suggestions?

Hello hive mind.

As the season winds down I’m thinking about replacing my current bag - a fairly old Ping Hoofer. The bag is in great shape, but the dividers don’t go all the way to the bottom of the bag so getting clubs in / out can be a pain. My biggest “must have” is that the bag has dividers that go all the way to the bottom of the bag to reduce clubs from getting caught on each other.  Folks have suggested the Sun Mountain 2.5 or 3.5 but would really like to hear what others think as well. Thanks in advance.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Titleist Players 4 is my go-to these past few years. Great bag, well worth the extra money IMO.

The Players 4 Stand Bag features a lightweight construction, a premium double strap and high-grade aluminum legs. Carrying has never been...

Edited by chspeed
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

Titleist Players 4 is my go-to these past few years. Great bag, well worth the extra money IMO.

The Players 4 Stand Bag features a lightweight construction, a premium double strap and high-grade aluminum legs. Carrying has never been...

Thanks @chspeed  this one was on my radar a while back. I’ll have to check it out again

• Administrator
3 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Thanks @chspeed  this one was on my radar a while back. I’ll have to check it out again

That's the one I'd go with if you're actually going to carry the bag.

But carrying is dumb.

I just got one of these:

Experience the cart-friendly Hybrid 14 Stand Bag, delivering comfort, upgraded storage, and a 14-way top cuff divider with Tour-inspired handles. Shop now.

Why? Because I mostly carry the bag… from my car to the cart (push cart if possible, riding cart if required). And I want legs because standing a true cart bag up… often doesn't work all the time. This has a flat bottom (i.e. integrated stand), so it sits well on a push cart, too.

It also has… 14-way dividers (nearly full length - they're not because if you drop something down you can access an interior pocket to get it back out) and a bit heavier than a true carry/stand bag, but you can remove the straps, there's still a good amount of storage, etc.

6.1 pounds isn't light, but again… I'm willing to add a pound or two for the 14 dividers, etc.

You could also go with… https://www.titleist.com/product/players-4/23TGB04.html at 3.7 pounds or https://www.titleist.com/product/hybrid-5/048GB1T.html at 4.6 pounds.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

But carrying is dumb

Well I think bags with 14 dividers are dumb. Hahaha 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

But carrying is dumb.

I just got one of these:

Experience the cart-friendly Hybrid 14 Stand Bag, delivering comfort, upgraded storage, and a 14-way top cuff divider with Tour-inspired handles. Shop now.

Why? Because I mostly carry the bag… from my car to the cart (push cart if possible, riding cart if required). And I want legs because standing a true cart bag up… often doesn't work all the time. This has a flat bottom (i.e. integrated stand), so it sits well on a push cart, too.

It also has… 14-way dividers (nearly full length - they're not because if you drop something down you can access an interior pocket to get it back out) and a bit heavier than a true carry/stand bag, but you can remove the straps, there's still a good amount of storage, etc.

6.1 pounds isn't light, but again… I'm willing to add a pound or two for the 14 dividers, etc.

You could also go with… https://www.titleist.com/product/players-4/23TGB04.html at 3.7 pounds or https://www.titleist.com/product/hybrid-5/048GB1T.html at 4.6 pounds.

This is what I have. I really like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have the Titleist Players 4 stand and the Titleist cart 14.  I do prefer the Players 4 (at the moment) even though I ride and live on course. I find myself taking my bag off quite often at the range and for away games and its just a super easy bag to navigate with. I do miss having a putter well though. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Also a Ping Hoofer lover. Had it when competing 20 years ago, and now that I picked up golf again (7 years ago). I have no issue at all in getting the clubs in or out. Keep your own bag!

35 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

Also a Ping Hoofer lover. Had it when competing 20 years ago, and now that I picked up golf again (7 years ago). I have no issue at all in getting the clubs in or out. Keep your own bag!

I wish I could. But truly the grips I have now are getting caught and it’s very annoying 

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been considering a new bag. My current Datrek bag is about 7 years-old and a hole has appeared on the side of the bag near the top, just below the collar. Datrek is, I believe made by Bag Boy and has been almost perfect for my needs except for the fact it doesn't have legs. There's a cooler pouch that's pretty effective, all the pockets are conveniently located and other than the hole I just discovered, it's been pretty sturdy. 

My walk/ride ratio is about 50/50 and so I have been considering the same bag Iacas has recommended, the Titleist Hybrid 14. However, bags have increased in price dramatically (along with everything else) so I've also looked at a Maxfli Honors+14. The Titleist is $265. The Maxfli, which looks almost identical, is $65 less.  On the one hand, I don't like being a walking billboard, although I do play Titleist clubs. On the other, I can't tell from looking at both bags side by side in the store if one is made better than the other. While not identical, they have the same features I want (legs, cooler & full-length dividers) and I have a sneaking suspicion they're both made in the same factory in China. I haven't seen any other bags from the other "neutral" companies, Ogio and Sundowner, that I like. 

Decisions, decisions.

Bags.jpg.ea143fb33babc158f57afa13dc8ec7ca.jpg

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• Administrator

You get a free patch with the Titleist one. 😉

USA pride? A lucky clover? Hole in one? Pick your favorite logo and make your Titleist bag all your own. Get customized golf bag patches with Titleist today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I recently (like just last week) retired my vintage Ping Hoofer with the Newport Cup 2015 logo on it.  8 years old, the black is more a faded gray, the embroidery is fraying a little, but every zipper still works, no holes, its still perfectly useable. I wasn't really looking for a new bag, but my wife and I had a bunch of pro shop credit to spend, so I bought a brand new Ping Hoofer.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 hours ago, iacas said:

You get a free patch with the Titleist one. 😉

USA pride? A lucky clover? Hole in one? Pick your favorite logo and make your Titleist bag all your own. Get customized golf bag patches with Titleist today.

I got the palm tree for obvious Parrothead reasons.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I’m thinking about getting a new bag over the winter and I’m probably going to move on from 13-way dividers.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I have the Mizuno below. It’s very comfortable and  very good on the waterproofing, though that may not be so important if you don’t live in the Lake District.

Discover the BR-DR1 Stand Bag - A totally waterproof stand bag with seamless construction to protect...

Stevie T

• 2 months later...

I just ordered the Vessel VLS DXR stand bag.  Comes in at 3.9 lbs, superb construction.  A bit pricey but I carry 4-5 times a week, 6 months a year.  My Sun Mountain 2.5 gave out and fell apart.

Experience ultra lightweight comfort with the next generation of our lightest, full-featured stand bag, the VLS DXR. Crafted from DXR (Diamond X-PAC Ripstop) nylon and specialized features, such as an...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mark in Colorado