IGNORED

Time for a SW...Vokey?

Tech
Note: This thread is 6605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

I was going through my bag while cleaning my clubs for,*sigh* winter *sniffle* hibernation.
(I'll still be using them occasionally at the indoor driving range...)

I think it is time to finally get a SW. I have a generic PW(48*?) and a Warrior "custom" Golf 60* LW.

I seem to have probs with hitting shots between 110-120 yds.
the lob usually is too short, and several times I hit over the green with the Pw for that range. Also I'm looking for anything that will help with putting more spin on the ball.

I really am intrigued with the Vokey spin-milled wedges, but have a few questions.
is there a difference between the 200 series and the other spin-milled wedges?
Is there any difference between the "SM56.10" and the "256.10"?

Also I'm trying to figure out the benefits of the larger bounce(i'm asssuming the larger.#, the larger the bounce area.14 is larger than .10 bounce area)
One thing I lie about the lob wedge is how eay it is to make "flop" shots.

I'm wondering it it would be best just to wait for the Golf Show in Feb to see if I can get fitted. http://www.upstatenygolfshow.com

Peter Valone
Home Course:Mill Creek

"The invisible opponent whose tangible form is the card and pencil; the toughest opponent of them all -- Old Man Par." Bobby Jones

The 200 series wedges are the standard vokey wedges and are available in three different finishes.

New Vokey 200 Series Tour Chrome™ wedges provide a classic chrome finish with a Tour-preferred, reduced glare satin appearance. Vokey 200 Series Black Nickel wedges feature a dark plated finish that eliminates glare and provides a more compact appearance at address. Each Vokey 200 Series Oil Can wedge is cosmetically unique due to the hot oil oxide process that wears off over time, leaving a soft feeling raw finish.

The finishes are about preference really and don't really affect the playability of the clubs. The oil can wedges will rust over time and some say it adds a bit of spin to the ball but if you hit enough balls the face doesn't rust so I can't see how it can really make a difference.

The spin milled wedges have have a little different groove and the face is cut with tiny grooves to add to the spin. Here is some info from the titleist site.
Vokey Spin Milled wedges feature a CNC machined cut face and grooves. A special circular saw style cutting tool is used to create precise grooves with a steeper draft angle and a tighter edge radius for increased friction. Vokey Spin Milled wedges have 30% more groove volume than a conventional wedge. This provides more consistent and higher spin, particularly from grassy lies and wet conditions. Spin Milled gives you the confidence to successfully execute more challenging short game shots.

I can't say wether or not the increased spin will be noticed by the average golfer but its worth a shot. Plus you can get them for around the same price. I play the spin milled wedges and wouldn't trade them for anything. The spin milled only come in the tour chrome finish.

Here is an article from the sandtrap explaining bounce. http://thesandtrap.com/archives/play...ing_bounce.php I've got a used vokey oil can 256/14 that I don't use. Its got a nick in the leading edge near the hosel but it doesn't affect the playability. If you're interested I may make a donation to a golfer in need. If not there is a store here in ohio that is going out of business and they have all vokey wedges for 85 bucks. I know they had a few spinmilled but not sure what lofts. I know they had 56 degree oil cans and maybe a few of tour chrome. I think friday is their last day. I could probably pick something up for you and have it shipped out. I know thats a pretty good price right now.

Thanks for the offer, $85 is an awesome deal, since the best I could find on Ebay all week was about $100 or so. Unfortunately I dont have the funds right now, so I'll have to pass. I'll probably be buying closer to the spring.(maybe even at the golf show, in Feb, if they have a sale too...)
Great info too, thanks!

Peter Valone

"The invisible opponent whose tangible form is the card and pencil; the toughest opponent of them all -- Old Man Par." Bobby Jones

Tech...

I am more than happy with the amount of spin the regular Vokeys (in any finish) put on the ball, but you will get even more out of the spin milled. The spin milled is sitting out because I prefer the lofts I've got now. FWIW, I wouldn't get more than 10 degrees bounce again unless I play in really powdery bunkers which you'll never find in Washington state... I own the 256.14 in Spin Milled and its a little much off the turf... does fine in sand.

Erik wrote up the Spin Milled series here:
http://thesandtrap.com/archives/club...dge_review.php

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought I was getting the Adams wedge set for Christmas and even though I didn't, just thinking about it for the past couple of weeks made me decide I really want new wedges. But instead of getting cheap stuff I think I may go with a Titleist, even though I am just a beginner and really won't get the most out of it. I figure I will grow into it eventually.

Thanks for the link to the article, Always great articles here.
My only concern is the wear on the balls from the spinmilled wedges. I found another review on this site for the Taylormade rac Black TP using "Y" grooves.

I've always played with the cheapest balls I could find(usually ti-tech, but recently "upgraded" to topflite)

I'll be using Titleist Pro v1 this year, but am really weary about paying $3.67, per ball! One of the problems I have now is "scuffing" the cover.

Would it be better to pay $25-$50 more for the tour taylormade wedge, or is there not too much of a difference as far as damage goes from the two wedges?

Peter Valone

Don't worry about the spin milled wedges. They may shave some when you first get them, but they are outstanding wedges. Rafi can tell you that TaylorMade tour wedges shave balls pretty good, but the retail stuff won't cause you much of a problem, either the TM or the Titleist.

You don't have to pony up for the ProV1's to get spin... there are plenty of balls in the $18-25 range that spin enough... Titleist NXT Tour, Nike Mojo (I'm not a big fan of these but they do the job), Maxfli Rev Tour (good hole in one ball ) and the like do the trick.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

• Administrator
Don't worry about the spin milled wedges. They may shave some when you first get them, but they are outstanding wedges. Rafi can tell you that TaylorMade tour wedges shave balls pretty good, but the retail stuff won't cause you much of a problem, either the TM or the Titleist.

The grooves on almost any wedge will shave some balls at first. If you're good, that is - higher handicappers rarely shave balls because they rarely catch the ball that cleanly.

The grooves on any club will wear down a bit within the first few weeks. Until you get down to a 12 handicap or so, stick with the NXTs and stuff, yeah. Less spin (slice, hook) is a good thing for you...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Phew... I was really sweating buying those!(you'd be amazed with how many balls I lose.)

Peter Valone

• 2 weeks later...
I play the Vokey Spin Milled and can tell you that they do put the spin on the ball! I recently went to using the NXT Tour balls cause the Pro V-1's just got chewed up so much and was backing up a little too much for my taste. The SM's could make TopFlights back up on fast greens. Great wedges, just hope the grooves stay this sharp.

Mike

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

• 3 months later...

I just bought the TP black SW and hit a few balls with it. Very impressed so far but I will wait to give it a full review until after a few rounds. If it works as good as I hope it does then I will be getting the gap wedge shortly

IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

I'm looking at the Cleveland CG11 it looks allmost too easy to hit.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

• Administrator
I just bought the TP black SW and hit a few balls with it. Very impressed so far but I will wait to give it a full review until after a few rounds. If it works as good as I hope it does then I will be getting the gap wedge shortly

If you look at my bag, I was using the 54 and 60 RAC TP wedges (they're black). I replaced them because the 60 had about 6° bounce. My spin-milled oil-can Vokey has 4.

The Vokeys, at first, spin the ball a LOT more than the RACs. BUT the vokeys quickly wear into spinning just about as well.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you look at my bag, I was using the 54 and 60 RAC TP wedges (they're black). I replaced them because the 60 had about 6° bounce. My spin-milled oil-can Vokey has 4.

I wanted to get the 54/10 but I had all these gift Certs to Dick's sporting goods and all they had was the 56/12. Oh well I got it for $45 after all was said and done. For my game I think the bounce on the 52 and 60 should be fine.

Do you find know that the gap btwn your PW and the 56/10 is too much?
IN THE BAG

Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

• Administrator
I wanted to get the 54/10 but I had all these gift Certs to Dick's sporting goods and all they had was the 56/12. Oh well I got it for $45 after all was said and done. For my game I think the bounce on the 52 and 60 should be fine.

I don't have a 56. I have a 54, as I said. So my wedges are:

48 (PW), 54 (SW), 60 (LW). Nicely spaced.

My bad, I got the 56/10 from your signature

IN THE BAG

I think this is ideal and people who don't have a third wedge should take note.

I just can't shake loose the 52 I have in my bag. The best thing I did last year was to put the Vokey SM 58 in my bag. I couldn't hit any type of flop shot with a 56 (which I can now) and I was amazed that I really didn't lose that much distance going from 56 to 58...or at least I didn't ever feel the need to step on the 58 at any time to get that extra few yards.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 6605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!