IGNORED

YS-6+ vs Aldila VS Proto 65 for driver

Note: This thread is 5747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just bought a new driver, 907 D1. Was hitting it with the Proto 65 (stiff) but they didn't have that one for sale so I bought it with the YS-6+ (stiff). My pro, who I take private lessons with, said that for me the two shafts would be pretty much the same...any differences I can expect comparred to what I was seeing when I was hitting the Aldila?

from the Titleist site, the spec seems quite different between the 2.

For info, I found the YS6+ in my old 905R to be quite boardy in feel (felt stiffer than a 'stiff')

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

they are completely different shafts and the YS6 is definately a softer shaft... I had this shaft in my 905R when I first purchased the club and I found many of my balls snapped left at the end of their ballflight

conversely, the proto by you feels stiffer than normal

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

In my experiece the YS-6 tends to baloon on me. It was in my 905R and D1. Tip softness maybe? I am in the process of 'finding' my shaft. I tried the Proto by you - it plays more rigid than the YS-6. I have found the UST 67g v2 to be a better fit for me - you may want to try that.

That being said the YS-6 has to be one of those shafts everyone seems to be able to use. It may not be perfect, but it perfoms well.

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

In my experiece the YS-6 tends to baloon on me. It was in my 905R and D1. Tip softness maybe? I am in the process of 'finding' my shaft. I tried the Proto by you - it plays more rigid than the YS-6. I have found the UST 67g v2 to be a better fit for me - you may want to try that.

ballooned on my 905 as well. didnt take to long for that to be reshafted

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

That may actually work out well for me. I was hitting the regular flex shafts longer and getting them up better than the stiff. My instructor/fitter was insistent that I could hit the stiff now and would be unhappy with the regular flex in the next few months to a year.

Played 9 with it yesterday. Still getting used to it, but finished with a great drive on the 9th hole. Had one other good drive and the rest seemed on the short side distance-wise.

I would have your teaching pro put you on a swing speed monitor. If your swing speed is between 90-100 mph then you need a stiff shaft. I personally play the Aldilla Proto "byyou" 65x in my driver and i love it, but my swing speed averages 108 with the driver.

What I play:
Titleist 905R 7.5* w/ Graphite Design YS-6+
Titleist 906F2 15* w/ Aldilla NVS 75s
Titleist 690mb (2-pw) w/ Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey spin milled 54* 60* wedges Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Heavy Titleist ProV1x ball

I'll look into getting swing speed measured. Part of it is we were looking for I driver that will work for me for a while as I progress.

Just started playing last year, and am working on learning the game (lots of lessons, range time, and playing). Staying away from the super game improvement stuff.

I would have your teaching pro put you on a swing speed monitor. If your swing speed is between 90-100 mph then you need a stiff shaft. I personally play the Aldilla Proto "byyou" 65x in my driver and i love it, but my swing speed averages 108 with the driver.

Thanks, checked out my driver swing speed last night...low 90's. I hit about 10 balls, first swing was 70-something, then a couple in the mid-high 80's. The res were low to mid 90's, with one at 101.

Rain has been rough this week, hope I'll be able to get out and swing some more soon.

Can't really comment on the Proto as I've never used it but I have the YS-6 stiff in a 983E which I got from eBay a while back. Best combination I've ever had in ~25 years. Shaft is _very_ smooth and doesn't misbehave even if I really lay into one. I have _no_ idea what my driver SS is (lol!) but distance probably averages out at 270-280 in "standard" conditions (longest probably ~320 on a good day; shame that I need to be a bit more accurate!). This head/shaft pairing is fantastic and I'd really recommend the YS-6 stiff; it doesn't feel too soft (as occasionally people comment on) but that may reflect the bore-through 983E head.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cool, I was hitting about 250-270 with the Proto shaft, so hopefully once I get comfortable with the GD the distance will come.

Overall, I was happy with the ball flight, straight, good mid-trajectory, and consistent...just not going as far as I would have liked. Of course having hit over 300 drives the previous day testing drivers may have had my muscles a little tired.

Overall, I was happy with the ball flight, straight, good mid-trajectory, and consistent...just not going as far as I would have liked. Of course having hit over 300 drives the previous day testing drivers may have had my muscles a little tired.

If the flight's good, straight and consistent, can't ask for much more than that! Happy swinging

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!