IGNORED

Olympians and National Anthems

catfell
Note: This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does it bother anyone that most of the American gold medal winners don't sing the national anthem when it's played for their medal ceremony?

What's the deal with this? Most of the other countries athletes seem to sing their national anthems when they win their gold medals.

What's wrong with our (the American) athletes?

(rant over)

FYI. I'm as patriotic as the next guy, just mildly ashamed of the conduct of our athletes.
In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T 10.5º
3-Wood: Titleist 904F 15º
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Since when are they expected to sing along with the music? Whats wrong with just standing there, quietly, with their hand over their heart?
IMO, that doesnt make you less patrotic or less of an American.
Id say the bigger outrage in the olympics are the athletes who play for countries that they arent from merely because they are being paid to win medals for that country. Every country, even the USA, does it but I dont think its right.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Not singing does not make you any less patriotic. I don't sing our anthem when at a sporting event, but don't let me see you talking or otherwise being disrespectful during it. I'll let you know about it.

I agree, talking during the playing of our national anthem is rude. Infact, talking during ANY country's national anthem is just as rude.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

They probably do not know the words.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I agree about the talking or not being attentive during the National Anthem. I like to sing it because it's an expression of my fidelity to our country. Others do not like to sing but have that same fidelity... at least, I trust they do.

I especially like the fourth verse of the Star Spangled Banner... having served our country, that verse sums up what America means to me.
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

What bothered me most about the Olympics (well, aside from the fact that they are televised), is that none of the American swim team seemed to know where their hearts are located.

One guy was holding his boob. One guy was in his armpit. The other was below his sternum and the other guy was holding below his boob.

Morons.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Oh, and one other thing majorly annoyed me.

----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Because they got really excited and celebrated? Come on, let them have a little fun with it. I mean, I rarely get into swimming but just by watching the last 50 meters of that race I knew that I was watching an AMAZING performance happen. To run down Bernard (world record holder, I think?) to win the gold for his relay team in unprecedented style is something to get excited about. Plus, Phelps is pretty young at 23 years old.

My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

They just look dumb, is all.

What is worse, though, was the mens gymnastics team who backed their way into a bronze metal and were celebrating and posturing to the camera, popping their shirts and saying inane things like "that's how we roll."

Meanwhile, they panned over to the Japanese team who won the silver and seemed pretty bummed about it...like, you know, they expected more of themselves.

----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*

Backed into the bronze? Are you serious? They lost the defending mens all around gold medalist and his twin brother that were the roots of the team. They were competing with two alternates... one who became active just a few days before the olympics began. Saying they backed into anything is absurd... after the injuries, anyone would have said they were lucky to win a medal at all.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

our national anthem needs a facelift, its too hard to sing and lacks melody. "god bless america" is more appealing

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

also, michael phelps should take up golf. he would in no time, win the grand slam

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I suppose their win was rather unexpected, but I still don't think it gives them the right to act like complete asshats.

----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*

They beat the French by.08 seconds who told them that their one goal for the Olympics was

Frenchy: The Americans? We're going to smash them. That's what we came here for."

I don't know about you but I'd be pretty pumped

Oh and they came from 3/4 of a body length down...

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

our national anthem needs a facelift, its too hard to sing and lacks melody. "god bless america" is more appealing

Wasn't this song just a lyrical remake of "God Save The Queen"? But I'll admit it is easier to sing for most people.

I'm not gonna hate on our athletes. I think one of the few things wrong with America is everyone wants to hate on everyone.

i'm more concerned about politicians who are trashing the constitution and eroding our civil liberties than folks being a tad informal on the medal stand and who by all accounts, show no disrespect for the flag

How can anyone get upset with the celebrating of these athletes. Most of them work their entire lives to get to THIS MOMENT. They dont do it for the money or for anything else. They do it for the love of the sport and their pride. Michael Phelps has a chance to go down as one of the greatest olympic athletes ever. That was a come from behind victory against a team that trash talked against the US right before the games began. Do you get just as disgusted with all athletes celebrating? Get rid of Tigers fist pump? Get rid of NFL celebrations. Get rid of everything I guess. Most athletes feel overwhelming emotion during times like these. I think its great to see the celebrations. These athletes are doing it for the right reasons. Let them enjoy their time.

Note: This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!