IGNORED

School of Golf - Hilton Head Island

Harry Longshanks
Note: This thread is 5688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't seen any college golf in person, BUT a few years ago three buds & I were on a golf vacation in Williamsburg. We were playing at one of the Ford's Colony courses and a women's college tournament was taking place on one or more of the other Ford's Colony courses. We went up and looked at the leader board - there were some good scores (although I don't recall how low) but there were a surprisingly high number of scores in the 90s. We were all shocked that more than one or two college level golfers would

Qx3. The one I saw was at the Men's NCAA Regionals. We're talking the top Div. I schools in the country. The kid rebounded, but it just goes to show that it can happen to anyone.

I enjoyed seeing Marta Silva on 9/9/08 - very impressive golfer + great personality.

My thoughts exactly. What a great girl! She's definitely my favorite on the show right now.

I especially liked the scene with the boys talking about Marta. Kudos to the one guy who said "If I had to play against Marta today in match play, she would beat me 5 & 4 . . . in a 9 hole competition." I have to say that I'm really starting to enjoy this show. It doesn't have the same drama as the competition shows (H18 and BB), but the intelligence factor is much higher. I wish it was an hour long show so they could include more detail and solidify the storylines better. Right now, the episodes seem a little disjointed and/or poorly edited. EDIT: I just ran across Marta's swing on youtube: And because I'm curious, can anyone translate the comments at the end (her coach?) ?

The thing I like about Marta Silva, is that she is so relaxed and doesn't put too much pressure on herself. She was like,"I was playing bad, so I told myself its time to play good." She says she doesn't even plan to play pro after high school, which she could. She has her priorities straight by having her career after college, and then playing golf for the most part.

Sumo 2 5000 Aldila Proto By-You 65-s
Tour Burner 2 hybrid
CCi 4-A
SV Tour 60*
Unitized Tiempo 35in NXT Tour & NXT Extreme Synchro Cart Bag

I'm enjoying this show as well. Does anyone know if there are any graduates of this school who have managed to go on to be successful in golf?

Twitter - @rubofthegreen | Xbox 360 - zilegati

I'm enjoying this show as well. Does anyone know if there are any graduates of this school who have managed to go on to be successful in golf?

Isnt that Chinese girl Hank was raving about on the first episode was competing and and finished 2nd place at the LPGA event this past weekend??

While watching the Bell Micro PGA Classic Sunday (9.14.08) I'm 99.44% sure one of the announcers said

Shanshan Feng is a graduate of the School of Golf at Hilton Head. Shanshan finished 2nd in the Bell Micro LPGA Classic & collected $127,855. Right now she's an LPGA Tour rookie from China, age 19, and has won $302,762 for 50th place on the 2008 LPGA Money List. (Oddly?) The Bell Micro LPGA Classic announcers (except Val Skinner) seemed to be pronouncing her name "Shenshen Fung", but Val was calling her "Shanshan".

• Administrator
Isnt that Chinese girl Hank was raving about on the first episode was competing and and finished 2nd place at the LPGA event this past weekend??

Not even close.

Steps you chose not to take: 1) Visit http://thegolfchannel.com/schoolofgolf/ 2) Visit http://lpgascoring.com 3) Compare names. Hmmm, "Amy Wang" vs. "Shanshan Feng"? Oh, and Amy Wang is 14 years old.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Thanks so much!! You da man!!! I guess because Shanshan Feng also graduated from the school?!

Yes,

she did , but what that has to do with Amy Wang, the 8th grader, I have no idea. Can we move on now?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It costs 70,000 for a year is what they said? Damn,, that can buy one hell of a college education!

I like the show, and the coaches are great.....
1. Take one shot at a time
2. Play your best

Man, great advice.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

• Administrator
It costs 70,000 for a year is what they said?

I think a full-year is $47k: http://www.ijga.com/index_files/tuition_2008-2009.pdf .

S.M.U. is what? $29k a year? So if a year at the IJGA gets you a partial golf scholarship (from what I've heard, full rides are virtually non-existent in Division I golf because there are so few scholarships), it's worth it I guess.

Notes:

• Hank Haney has coaching connections to S.M.U., but I've never fully understood what they are. I think that is why so many IJGA students are targeting SMU.
  • Doug Gribin, the IJGA student who quit a tournament because his neck hurt, is the son of ESPN radio golf personality Steven Gribin (" Inside Golf "). Haney and Gribin have been friends for years. (Source: http://www2.islandpacket.com/blogs/post/33568 ) Anyway, my point is that the kids who attend IJGA probably are too concerned about money.

So why the furor over SMU? How does SMU line up against other college golf programs, particulaly UT? I know nothing about college-level golf, but given the choice, I'd take UT over SMU in a heartbeat, unless the golf program is really inferior.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

So why the furor over SMU? How does SMU line up against other college golf programs, particulaly UT? I know nothing about college-level golf, but given the choice, I'd take UT over SMU in a heartbeat, unless the golf program is really inferior.

Furor? Did I sound angry about SMU?

If I did, it wasn't intentional. Texas has a much, much better golf program than SMU. (Texas just won their season-opening tournament.)

Sorry. Poor choice of words, firstly, but actually I was referring to Max, not you. I was under the impression that he badly wanted to get in to SMU, and was wondering why SMU in particular. Of course, I only caught the last half of that episode, and haven't followed the whole thread or show, so I may be asking a stupid question and wasting everyone's time. If so, mea maxima culpa.

I did find this in answer to my curiousity, however, after a quick trip down Google lane: http://www.golfweekrankings.com/coll...amrankings.asp

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

Sorry. Poor choice of words, firstly, but actually I was referring to Max, not you. I was under the impression that he badly wanted to get in to SMU, and was wondering why SMU in particular. Of course, I only caught the last half of that episode, and haven't followed the whole thread or show, so I may be asking a stupid question and wasting everyone's time. If so, mea maxima culpa.

OH! I think you may have meant "fervor". But I should have been able to figure that out from the content of your post. Sorry.

I don't think it's a stupid question at all. I'm surprised SMU is ranked that high. For example, at the Gopher Invitational, Texas was tied for first (but was the "winner" over LSU by virtue of their 5th man's better score than LSU's 5th man's score). SMU was 10th. Out of 12. The Texas team score was +8. SMU's was +59. In all fairness though, I do believe that SMU is considered to be "on it's way up." As for why Max (and Doug) want to go to SMU, I can only guess: Maybe because they aren't good enough to get into a Texas-level program, but they still want to play Division I golf. And while I am admittedly biased toward the Longhorns, SMU does have a nice campus in a very nice area of Dallas, and is a good school (not as good as Texas, of course). I almost considered going there myself. BUT, if they were/are good enough to go to Texas and play golf, I have no idea why they would prefer SMU. Especially considering the brand new private University of Texas Golf Course , and the amazing facilities .

I think a full-year is $47k:

That $47k is just for the golf and boarding part of it. You must add $11k for schooling for the year. So the total to go there for a year is $58k, part of the reason that I no longer have a chance to go to school there next year

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Note: This thread is 5688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!