IGNORED

Playing with Glasses?

whip_it_out
Note: This thread is 5677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you play with someone who's being rude about your glasses it's not your fault, it's his or hers. Almost everyone can play golf, if they got a "handicap", like not having the best vision, playing with others and getting help with seeing and locating the ball is something a way to work around your "handicap". If you ever feel like it's rude, remember to be perfectly clear with those you play with from the first shot. If you tell them you've got bad vision and have a hard time seeing the ball, I'm sure 99.99% will help you out and be very friendly about it. Those who don't, well, I'm sure you're better off not playing with them.

I agree with Zeph on this one. If someone is giving you the business because you can't see and they might get slowed down a bit, then you know where to tell them to go \!/. I always enjoy having an excuse to play slower anyways. It let's me take my time and I can actually enjoy the course and relax as well (when I'm not looking for my balls).

A "handicap" is one thing. Having a vision problem that is correctable is not a handicap. Get the glasses, get the contacts, have lasik, whatever. It's fixable. There are blind people that play golf. That's a handicap. But something tells me they go with someone who can watch their shots for them.

What happens if you get a foursome together in which all four need glasses but no one has any because they think they are uncomfortable or whatever reason and no one can see where any of the balls land? Are we going to have to send a marshall out with them to watch where their balls go? Everyone in the group should help each other with watching where the balls go. Especially when hitting into the sun. But come on, if all it takes is getting glasses, get the glasses. I had them for 30 years. You get used to it.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

• Administrator
Any guys on here play with glasses, and how do you get comfortable with them over the ball?

I wear glasses and prescription sunglasses (same make and model, just polarized brown tint sunglass lenses) on the golf course. Doesn't really seem to hinder me at all, though I wish at times I had contacts so I could wear any off-the-rack non-prescription sunglasses.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have worn glasses my entire life. Not really much to worry or deal with. The biggest transition is you have to wear them and keep them on.

I used to run long distance ( 15 years about 30 years ago) and glasses were not really a big issue. Yes, they get wet from sweat or rain or snow. Most of the time you just ignore it. They do offer a fair amount of wind protection.

I have transitioned to bifocals. When I asked the clerk when I got them, "how long to get used to them?". Her response was 2 or so weeks. I was surprised. I was hoping for before I got out of the mall and back to my car. I adjusted in about 10 minutes. Better vision is always better then blurry or squinting.

Fitted properly, they will not be in the way when swinging nor should they move because of your swing. If they do, go back and have the glasses refitted.

The biggest change is your perceived distances especially where the ball is will be a little off at the start. Wear them for a few days and a few rounds and you will be "used" to them.

If you need bifocals, you may be challenged while putting -- looking at the ball at your feet with one part and through the upper part when looking at the hole. again, you should adept in a short bit.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

The only time when I hate wearing glasses is when I play in the rain. Other than that, no problem. Sometimes, at home, I'm looking for them and realize (after a couple minutes of search) I've got them on ... lol.
Gear
Driver: G10 10,5° - regular flex
3-Wood: Burner Steel 15°
Hybrids: Benross V5 Escape 20°/3, 23°/4
Irons: Benross VX Combo OS 5i-SWGap Wedge: CG12 52° chrome finishLob Wedge: SM60.08 oil can finishPutter: White Hot XG #5AccessoriesStand Bag: GROMCart Bag: RC08-1Trolley: Big...

Sometimes, at home, I'm looking for them and realize (after a couple minutes of search) I've got them on ... lol.

That's a good problem to have; if I didn't have them on, I knew it . . . I couldn't see a foot in front of me in focus. Unfortunately for me, I never looked for them while I had them on! Coke bottles for me.

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I recently started to wear glasses, and at first i found them uncomfortable, but after a while i got used to wearing them, and now wearing them has improved my golf as i can see better, which really does help.

glasses arent too bad to play with. The frame is a little annoying. I recently changed to contacts and prefer them much more however once i had the experience of one contact falling out. That really messes you up... your right eye reckons its 5 feet from you.. your left eye thinks its 6 feet away from you... its actually pretty embarassing coz it makes striking the ball well almost impossible... i woulda taken the other one out but i had to drive home still.

On the plus side u lose much less balls with glasses/contacts.

Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 9.5
5W: Mizuno F-60
3H: Mizuno CLK Fli-Hi
Irons: Nike CCI Forged 4-PW
SW: Mizuno MX-19 LW: Mizuno MP-R 60Deg

I've always played with them. Rain is a small problem, only rarely does it bother me (wear a peaked cap or a rain hat - or both). Every couple of years when my eyes get worse I struggle to see the ball landing in winter (it's darker and duller) and when i'd get new specs, I could see everything much better. I'm short sighted but reading greens became a lot easier too.

I have tried contacts but hated them, I am considering laser eye surgery so i can wear normal sunglasses (for driving etc. as well as golf).

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Guys I am actually in the optical industry so we are discussing something I actually know something about. (that is a first on a golf board) I just want ya'll to know that I make eye glasses all day long and there are a lot of options for golfer who have to wear corrective eye wear. As far as the bifocals and such there are also a number of options that most places won't give you because the guy running their lab doesn't play golf. First off though sunglasses on the market today ought to be able to hold most of the prescriptions out there of course the higher the script the more you are going to have to pay to get the right lenses to make it comfortable but, when it comes to your eyesight I don't think you should skimp out. While I don't believe in selling someone soemthing they do not need or want I do believe in giving all of our patients the options to chose what they want to wear on thier face. But, to answer the question you ought to be able to find some sunglasses that are comfortable and still look stylish. If anyone has questions please feel free to pm me and I will gladly answer them.

Home course: www.tupelocountryclub.org

You'll get used to them. I wear glasses for golf and everything else...... well, almost everything else........

Gary

-----------------------------------------------
In my bag:
G10 Driver 9degree stiff G10 4 wood stiff Ci7 irons 4-GW SW Twoball putter ProV1

I'm going to dogpile on here.

I too have been wearing glasses about 36 years, at first it'll seem weird to you. But it won't just be weird playing golf, you'll find a myriad of circumstances that just feel different than what you're used to. While driving you'll see highway signs appear different, while walking through a crowd of people you'll notice things in your depth perception you may not have realized otherwise, early on some of the more colorful adverts in magazines may 'pop' for you.

Your peripheral vision will also be affected, but your brain learns to compensate over time until you don't even notice that you have glasses on.

I'm sure it'll feel odd on the course as well. Give it some time and you'll be fine.

"I'd rather be a failure at something I enjoy than a success at something I hate." -George Burns

I think the biggest issue for me is/was at 1st sweating when it is soooooo hot, but as long as you wear a hat of some sort normally thw sweat builds up on the rim of the hat and not so much your face/glasses......remember your only given 2 eyes in your lifetime so take care of them, wear them and you'll get used to them in no time.....trust me

Note: This thread is 5677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!