IGNORED

Callaway Hyper X Anyone?

Travis13
Note: This thread is 5698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have come across a 10* Hyper X for a real good price and am very temped to buy it. I have never heard anything about them and was wondering if I could get some feedback on this driver. thanks

In My Bag:

L5V 9.5*
X-Hot 3W
3H HybridIrons: Soon to Come X-Tour Forged 52* 56* 60* Wedges Detour 1

I hit one a little while back. They are strong off the club face, but I didnt care for them much. It was a personal opinion. I then afterwards hit the tour version and really liked it. They are still selling for about $300, so if you have a good deal and like the way they feel, pick up the driver. You seem to really like the Callaway stuff and it would look great with the matching set. Just make sure you hit it first.

I purchased a Hyper X this past February at the Golfsmith in Memphis. I went there to test the Cobra L4V on their launch monitor. I tried several drivers, including two Cobras, a TaylorMade and a Cleveland. The last driver I tried was the Hyper X. The fitter put it in my hands. I had no intention of trying it, much less buying it. The results were the best of all the drivers I tried: I hit it longer and with tighter dispersion than any of the other drivers.

Since purchasing the Hyper X, my accuracy has improved and I've gained distance. Shots off the toe and heel do not lose much distance or accuracy.

I can say easily that this is the best driver I've owned.

I wish I could collect my endorsement fee from Callaway, however my contract is still under negotiation.

One caveat: one man's pearl is another man's poison. Try it before you buy it. Any price is too high if it is not the right driver for you.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I kept going back to Golfsmith to take the Hyper X out for a test drive on their indoor launch monitor, and after 3 or 4 visits it got almost embarrassing -- I'd walk in, go hit 50 balls, buy some balls, and leave (cheapest bucket in town). I finally pulled the trigger yesterday and am teeing off with my new Hyper-X Tour 10.5 driver, cut down to 44", for the first time tomorrow morning. If I'm as straight with it on the course as I was on the launch monitor I will need a Valium to calm down, and 80 will be in danger of falling.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

I kept going back to Golfsmith to take the Hyper X out for a test drive on their indoor launch monitor, and after 3 or 4 visits it got almost embarrassing -- I'd walk in, go hit 50 balls, buy some balls, and leave (cheapest bucket in town). I finally pulled the trigger yesterday and am teeing off with my new Hyper-X Tour 10.5 driver, cut down to 44", for the first time tomorrow morning. If I'm as straight with it on the course as I was on the launch monitor I will need a Valium to calm down, and 80 will be in danger of falling.

Update: Well, my cut-down 10.5 Hyper-X driver was not working for me today at all. In fact, I've never hit a driver so poorly. I called a clubmaker I met a few days ago and explained what was going on and that I had been absolutely crushing the ball until I had the driver cut down an inch (actually 1.25") when I bought it -- to improve accuracy, right? His response was, "Hey, that's a smart move, but if you shorten the shaft you have to add weight to the clubhead, or else you change the swingweight. A little change is no big deal, but when you take 1.25" off the shaft you change the swingweight by about 8 swingweight points, which takes if from, say, D2 to C4, which you will definitely notice and definitely not like. If the guy who cut your club down didn't add weight back to the clubhead for you, then he completely hosed you." [Or words to that general effect] So I took the driver back and traded it for a 9.5 Hyper-X, stiff, standard length, and took it out to the range, where I am now once again bombing it (with a power fade, of al things –- that's what happens when you go from a slightly closed to a neutral face, I guess).

The only complaint I have about my new new Hyper X is that it doesn't go any farther than my FT-3. In fact, I think it may be a bit shorter. Feels nice, but still, I didn't buy it so I could hit my drives shorter .

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Give it time and an honest run. If I returned every club I hit badly on it's first time on the course I'd have quit the game. It's a new driver, let yourself get adjusted to it. That's why golfsmith has the 90/90 return.

in my EDGE bag:

10.5* XLS HiBore Driver, Fuji stiff VP70
15* XLS HiBore 3 Wood Gold stiff
22*, 25* XLS HiBore 3H, 4H, Gold stiff MP-57 5-PW, DG S300 MP-R 52 gap, MP-R 56 sandwedge SM Vokey 60 Lob Newport 2 Detour Pro-V1X, NXT Tour, Callaway Tour iXIgolf NEO GPS

Update: Well, my cut-down 10.5 Hyper-X driver was not working for me today at all. In fact, I've never hit a driver so poorly. I called a clubmaker I met a few days ago and explained what was going on and that I had been absolutely crushing the ball until I had the driver cut down an inch (actually 1.25") when I bought it -- to improve accuracy, right? His response was, "Hey, that's a smart move, but if you shorten the shaft you have to add weight to the clubhead, or else you change the swingweight. A little change is no big deal, but when you take 1.25" off the shaft you change the swingweight by about 8 swingweight points, which takes if from, say, D2 to C4, which you will definitely notice and definitely not like. If the guy who cut your club down didn't add weight back to the clubhead for you, then he completely hosed you." [Or words to that general effect] So I took the driver back and traded it for a 9.5 Hyper-X, stiff, standard length, and took it out to the range, where I am now once again bombing it (with a power fade, of al things –- that's what happens when you go from a slightly closed to a neutral face, I guess).

Update #2: Played with my 9.5 Hyper X today and all my problems with it seemed to disappear. I was just crunching it all up and killing it. I now officially love this club again. I guess it was the archer, not the arrow, that was the problem last time out.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

I tried a few different drivers out for a while before updating mine. I was still hitting a driver from the dark ages (300cc head ).

The HyperX was one of my final two choices. I ultimately went with the PING G10, though. It was very....very close between these two and I'm sure I would have been well served in either case.

The HyperX is one hot driver, no doubt about it. I thouroughly enjoyed the sound and feel off this club.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I will add to my previous post only a short thought and an observation: after 7 months owning the Hyper X, I would conclude that it is the best driver/shaft combination I've ever used. I have found the face not only hot but forgiving. My observation is this: in the promotional information about Callaway's new FT-Iq driver, I notice that the face is based on the Hyper X. It is no small nod to the effectiveness of the design of the Hyper X face that Callaway would choose to put it in their new top of the line franchise driver.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

I will add to my previous post only a short thought and an observation: after 7 months owning the Hyper X, I would conclude that it is the best driver/shaft combination I've ever used. I have found the face not only hot but forgiving. My observation is this: in the promotional information about Callaway's new FT-Iq driver, I notice that the face is based on the Hyper X. It is no small nod to the effectiveness of the design of the Hyper X face that Callaway would choose to put it in their new top of the line franchise driver.

That's interesting, I did not know that.

Hey, if it works for Johnny Miller and makes him hit par 4s in 1, it might work for you. Seriously, the Hyper X commercial has to be the worst commercial on TV.

I wonder sadly what fools we mere mortals be who would even give credence to commercials like that one, or any hype that promises unreasonable results and creates within the consumer unreasonable expectations. Of course, for those who might believe that bloviated bit of gas, that with any new driver one will be able to leap tall buildings with a single swing, I am reminded of P.T. Barnum's line, "There's a sucker born every minute."

However, this is not to suggest that the crap put out by the advertising agency Callaway employs in any way diminishes Callaway's own efforts at producing a fine driver. I stand by my previous comment that the Hyper X is the finest driver, for my swing, I've ever tried. I base my sentiments on the fact that I have, indeed, been able to hit the ball a bit farther with this driver, albeit no par 4 greens in one; and, by the fact that this driver is so forgiving, I've been able to hit my second shot, more often than not, off the short grass.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Note: This thread is 5698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!