IGNORED

Accenture Match Play Championship

Thrash13
Note: This thread is 6641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Glad to see wise ass Paul Casey slammin' his trunk and shuttin' his mouth on the first day! I hope his ungrateful buddy Luke Donald joins him soon.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

• Administrator
Glad to see wise ass Paul Casey slammin' his trunk and shuttin' his mouth on the first day! I hope his ungrateful buddy Luke Donald joins him soon.

Not a lot of big upsets. I expected a few more. There's Ogilvy (13) over Campbell (4). Lehman (11) over Appleby (6). Langer (16) over an ailing Els (1), hot Arron Oberholser (10) over Tim Clark (7), Pettersson (14) over Perry (3), and Johnson (15) over match-play stalwart Furyk (2).

I don't consider it an upset when players are within 4 seeds of each other. Not in golf. And even one of the matches above was 10 over 7.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

From

this story :
CARLSBAD, Calif. – Even after the most lopsided defeat in the history of the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship, Stephen Ames wouldn't eat his words. The Canadian's backhanded compliment broadcast on The Golf Channel Monday night appeared to have backfired as he was dusted by Tiger Woods 9 and 8 in the first round of the $7.5 million tournament. Ames gained entry into the year's first World Golf Championships event on Monday when Thomas Bjorn withdrew with a shoulder injury. As the last player in the elite field of 64, his first round opponent was to be the game's No. 1. "How he goes about scoring from where he hits it -- that's the amazing thing," Ames told The Golf Channel. "That's the mark of a true champion. As bad as he hits it, he still manages to win golf tournaments." Ames also told the Associated Press, "Anything can happen, especially where he's hitting the ball." Associated Press golf writer Doug Ferguson was quick to point out in his story that Ames was smiling when he said it. Woods, though, had the last word Wednesday as he birdied seven of his first eight holes – including the first six straight – on the way to the emphatic victory. "It's been a while since I played (nine holes) like that," he said. "I just hit a lot of good shots today." When a reporter asked if he was aware of Ames' comments after the match, Woods cut the question short. "Yes," he said. And what was your reaction? "9 and 8," Woods said simply. So the comments – which Woods called fair, but not something he would say about another player -- lit a fire under you? "You might say that," he said. Urged to elaborate further, Woods, who plays Robert Allenby on Thursday, again answered, "9 and 8." As the rest of the first round matches wound to their conclusions and Woods had long since left the interview area, Ames was hitting balls on the left side of the range at La Costa Resort & Spa. He said he didn't regret his comments. "Not at all," Ames said, pausing between swings. "I think he wanted to prove something to himself and to the general public – hey, I can hit it straight. That's not me quoting, that's the media quoting." Told that Woods said Ames' comments fired him up, the Canadian shrugged his shoulders and smiled. "Glad I did," Ames said. "He played very well. I think he's where he wants to be with his swing. He's definitely driving it better." David Toms, who beat Ian Poulter on the 19th hole Wednesday as he began his Accenture Match Play Championship defense, questioned the wisdom of providing any bulletin board fodder for Woods. "I don't know if you give the best player in the world any incentive to want to beat you," said Toms, who could potentially meet Woods in the quarterfinals this year. "He's going to go out and play one shot at a time and be at his best. "This format tends to bring out the best in him, and I'm sure after last year losing early, he wanted to be there in the end. So obviously, he's brought his "A" game -- at least he did today." Ames said he had nothing to lose on Wednesday. "Nobody thought I'd win," the Canadian said, adding that he is just beginning to work his way into form after a 10-week layoff. "If I had a chance, it would be at the end of the year." Ames, who pointed out that he "doesn't live in a warm climate," usually uses the West Coast swing of the PGA TOUR as a warm-up for the rest of the season. Woods, on the other hand, was primed and ready from the outset – winning his 2006 debut at the Buick Invitational – and Wednesday was no exception. "I hit the ball really well today," Woods, who shot 29 on the front nine, said. "I got a great break on the first hole. I hit it up the right side, hit a tree and came back into the fairway. I was conceded a birdie there. "And No. 2, I left it short uphill, but thank goodness it was downwind and it fell in. From there, I put the pressure on Stephen and he made a couple of mistakes, gave me a couple of holes. "But other than that, it was some pretty good ball-striking for me today." Finally, Ames and Woods could agree on something. "Tiger played well today, very well," Ames said.

I don't normally quote full stories, but that one was worth retelling in full. It's all good.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Match play can be so quirky, I don't know if "upset" is ever an appropriate term. If Jim Furyk or Kenny Perry can't get it going any golfer in this elite field should have the talent to seize the moment.

While a round like Tiger had yesterday can devastate any opponent, the steady guys with even temperament are often the dominant match play opponents.

In our club matches I like to follow one of our most talented seniors. He's not long anymore, maybe 200 off the tee at best. But he's an up and down genius with pin point lay up accuracy. He plays to a 5 now, but seldom loses to lower handicaps in match play.

With teams it's different. A near shut out in Ryder cup - that would be an upset.

I nearly picked Petterson to upset Perry based off Perry's poor match-play results at last year's Presidents Cup.

The shocking upsets to me was Ogilvy over Campbell (who I had going to final 8), and Zach Johnson over Furyk (who I had winning it).

Those two shocked me quite a bit, but I wasn't expecting much from Els. And Bernhard Langer sure isn't a real easy first-round opponent either.

There are some good second-round matches today, and I'm looking forward to them. I don't really care for John Daly or Phil Mickelson, but that match should still be a good one. And I'm sure the galleries will be loving it.

As for Tiger, I bet he doesn't win 9 & 8 over Allenby. :) It may be something like 7 & 6 or 6 & 5. :)

Well, I missed almost all of yesterday's action. I TiVoed it, but I was super busy last night and had to miss it. I guess I'll just have to chalk it up as loss and move on to today's play.

It looks like there were some pretty good matches once again. Tiger had a little more trouble with Allenby, but he moved on to the sweet sixteen I guess. That's all that really matters.

There are some very nice match-ups today. DiMarco/Love III and Singh/Harrington should be fun to watch. Those are in the Gary Player Bracket.

Down in the Sam Snead bracket, Goosen/Donald should be great! That's one of the matches I wanted to see when I saw the bracket.

On the other side of things, Mickelson vs. David Howell should be interesting. Also, I would like to see Mike Weir continue his roll against Geoff Ogilvy. Those matches are in the Ben Hogan bracket.

And finally, it will be Tiger vs. Chad Campbell and David Toms vs. Tom Lehman (wow). Both of these matches should be good. Campbell has been playing well in 2006, and Tiger is Tiger. I think Tom Lehman might upset David Toms, but I always overlook Toms in this tournament.

Good matches. I'm looking forward to catching some of the coverage today.

I LOVE MATCH PLAY! It's golf at its best - a test of nerves in a combination of poker and gunslinger duel.

I wanted to check shot link to make sure I got the details to this story right, but it's not current yet.

Anyway, I think the turning point for Woods yesterday was on 13. He missed the green in a bunker left. Appleby (1 up at the time) was about 16 ft away in two. Woods was long out of the bunker leaving himself about 9 feet for par. Appleby made a bad putt and rolled it past by about four feet - makeable, but no gimme. He was studying the putt and feeling the pressure as he marked the ball.

Woods walked by and without looking at Appleby gave him the putt (for par). Then Woods rolled his par putt in to halve the hole. If he had missed he would have given away the hole and been two down with five to play.

The match didn't turn until 16. But, I think that really got Appleby's goat. He was wide off the next tee and didn't seem as sharp again. Finally he choked a short side chip shot on 18 similar to one that he had put close on the front side.

You called it on Lehman v. Toms. I don't use the term 'upset' in match play - because it's match play. But, I'll admit that every match today was unexpected in my book, except Retief. If I was betting on this I'd have lost big.

I'll have to take Lehman as a sentimental favorite now. He's certainly going to be a poster boy for physical conditioning.

I just got out of the car after a 14 hour road trip and saw the results from yesterdays play, and from the look of it, crazy stuff went down yesterday.

Chad over Tiger: I saw a couple holes of that match and it looked like Tiger was starting to get the momentum rolling in his favor.

Lehman over Toms: That must have been a pretty good match.

Ogilvy over Wier: 3 matches, 3 "upsets".

Howell over Mickelson: saw some of this match, too. Mickelson didn't have it.

Padraig over Vijay: Padraig is a stellar player, missed this whole match though.

Love III over DiMarco: I didn't see this one coming at all, DiMarco seems to have a demeanor that suits match play fairly well.

Retief over Luke: I really wish I could have seen this match. By the numbers, its the only non-"upset" of the day.

Zach over Shingo: Shingo was 1up when I left, so this was another surprise for me.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

• Administrator
Zach is playing great golf right now. DiMarco loses after saying that he's the best match-play golfer that exists right now (or something like that), Tiger couldn't make many putts all day and really wasn't doing what he needed to do. Birdie a par-5 to force extra holes? Nope, he was in the junk twice.

Vijay has never made it past the second round until this year, and after Freddie beat him in the Prez Cup last year, I'm starting to think he sucks at match play.

Wel, like i said earlier, i wanted either lucas glover, davis love III or freddy couples to win the matchplay, and hes now in the final and that i was more bothered about following bubba watson in the chrsyler classic of tucson as i have a bet on him finishing in top 5, hopefully he can do something today to make me happy and help his name rise in the golf world!!! come on bubba!!!!

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

Has anyone noticed the colour shaft on bubba watsnos Ping G5 driver? YES.... its pink lol! and to me, its unique and it looks great!

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

• Administrator
Has anyone noticed the colour shaft on bubba watsnos Ping G5 driver? YES.... its pink lol! and to me, its unique and it looks great!

Is it Paula's shaft? The Aldila NV pink one? You can get it in pink if you ask for it. I'd do it if I used the NV.

Im not sure to be honest, i think it was specially painted, the shaft is really bright and bold pink.

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

• Administrator
Well I was disappointed to see Davis lose. He could have won rather easily, as Ogilvy didn't exactly play well. Neither of 'em really holed any putts of significance. But every time Ogilvy found trouble, Davis found worse trouble. Every time Ogilvy missed the green, Davis missed it worse. It was a pretty poor display of golf today in both matches!

I'm glad Johnson won. Will move him up in the rankings. And Lehman will now be in the top 10 for Ryder Cup points! This may be a topic on this week's podcast...

I'm glad Johnson won. Will move him up in the rankings. And Lehman will now be in the top 10 for Ryder Cup points! This may be a topic on this week's podcast...

Yeah, I was very happy to see Zach Johnson take home third. He should move WAY up in the rankings, and he should be in good standing for the Ryder Cup.

As for Lehman, he is playing solid right now. I don't like the fact he may play in the Ryder Cup, but I've already gone down that road. It will make for an interesting storyline if nothing else. March and April are going to be awesome! I think March is my favorite golf month. Doral, Bay Hill, Players, etc. Great stuff coming up, and then we get The Masters in early April.

Damn I had Davis on my fantasy list,owell it least he got 2nd money!!

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Note: This thread is 6641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!