IGNORED

Ratio between slope/rating and score?

Maverick
Note: This thread is 6620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are two courses I normally play at by my house. One has a slope/rating of 122/70.5 and the other is 114/68. I've never broken 90 at the higher sloped course but I have broken 90 numerous times at the lower sloped course and actually had my lowest round there ever and this year.

It seems like the harder course plays around 5~7 strokes more than the easier course. Does this sound normal or is it a mental issue. The fairways are definitely more narrow than the easier course and if you go off line it's bad..not like the easier course where it's it more of a "open" course.

I would have to agree. The slope and rating are pretty acurate when it comes to how a player should fair on any particular course. As to one course being about 6 shots harder than another, it may be true in many cases, but in others it all depends on the day your having (thats the way it is my case anyway). All I know is that I've shot both the highest, and lowest rounds at the same course, as well as shooting lower scores on "harder" courses, and higher scores on "easier" courses. For me, it all depends on whether the course sets up well for my game, and how well I'm playing that day.
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

The higher the sloop usually means you'll face more trouble on the course and you may not have the shots you need for that course. you may hit a shot 190yds on one course and not be able to hit that shot with a pond in front of the green at 185yds so you lay up and it cost you a stroke. pick the right tees to play from each day you play. I see many players always want to play from the tips and complain how bad they played.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

• Administrator
The higher the sloop usually means you'll face more trouble on the course and you may not have the shots you need for that course. you may hit a shot 190yds on one course and not be able to hit that shot with a pond in front of the green at 185yds so you lay up and it cost you a stroke. pick the right tees to play from each day you play. I see many players always want to play from the tips and complain how bad they played.

Yeah, to re-iterate what he said, the course rating is more about what a scratch golfer will shoot while the slope has much more of an effect on the higher handicapper.

In other words, it's quite possible to have: 70.1/144 70.1/122 The first course might be super tricked up but not too long. The second might be long but wide open. On both courses, the low handicapper will shoot about the same. But on the first, the higher handicapper may shoot ten strokes higher. It depends too on the strengths of your game. My home course does a good job testing your short game. You can survive there if you either have good, accurate irons OR if your chipping/putting/pitching is good. But put a bomber on my course and he'll have a hell of a time shooting what he'd normally expect to shoot. He'll spend too much time in trees, bunkers, and chipping across greens.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!