IGNORED

Do not use plastic tubes!!!!!

Note: This thread is 5610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have plastic tubes in my bag, and just found that the graphite shaft of my driver has a very nasty chip where the shaft meets the edge of the tube.
Fortunately for me, the rest of my clubs have steel shafts, but I like my clubs to be in good shape (I clean them very often, even during a round after every shot), and having my driver damaged really bothers me.
I thought the the idea of the tubes was a good one (I was looking for a more organized bag, and protect the grips while pulling the clubs out of the bag), and it never occurred to me that this could happen. I just found that this has happened to others (I did a search in this forum), but it was too late for my driver .
Does anybody know how this will affect the shaft? Apparently, only a small circle of paint is missing (about 1/16th of diameter), but I don't know if the paint is used to add any protection or strength to the graphite shaft.

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05
My bags and cart: Titleist Carry Bag | Mizuno Omega V + Clicgear 2.0

I have plastic Tubes as well and the only problem I have come across is at the end of the plastic tube leaves a ring around the graphite shaft where they make contact, it's nothing major in my case, but as a recommendation put a piece of tape around the shaft where the plastic and the graphite make contact.

What's In My Golf Bag:

Nike Machspeed Black 10.5* callaway.gif Diablo Edge 5 Wood, callaway.gifDiablo Edge 4 Hybrid
callaway.gif 5- Pw Big Bertha Irons Graphite Shafts
vokey.gif52* 8* Bouncevokey.gif56* 8* Bouncevokey.gif60* 7* Bouncerife.gifHybrid Tour Mallet

I have a standard "carry" bag and a couple of my clubs with graphite shafts have "bag burn" where the shaft makes constant contact with the bag opening. I put clear tape around the shafts at that point to protect them from further damage. My driver fared the worst, but I don't believe any structural damage was done to the shaft. Eventually I could see this becoming a problem so that's why I applied tape as an extra layer of protection for the shaft. I was suprised and shocked by this as well. I mainly carry my bag and I believe that has exacerbated this problem (the shafts constantly rub the bag). My 3 wood's head cover extends down the shaft past the point where it enters the bag. My driver and hybrid's head covers do not, and those are the ones with the burns.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

There normally wouldn't be any performance loss if it was just a normal pvc pipe but if it had sharp edges the shaft might splitter when swung but i sounds like no damage here.

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

There normally wouldn't be any performance loss if it was just a normal pvc pipe but if it had sharp edges the shaft might

Anyway..

What exactly is the point of the shaft dividers? do shafts normally break in your bag?

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Anyway..

Not speaking for him but people that I know who utilize them typically say it's done for organizational issues, which, in older style bags, makes some sense.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Anyway..

I started using the dividers trying to protect the grips of my clubs, to prevent the grip being "pulled down" while I am pulling a club out of the bag.

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05

There normally wouldn't be any performance loss if it was just a normal pvc pipe but if it had sharp edges the shaft might splitter when swung but i sounds like no damage here.

My tubes are PVC, and the upper lip is rounded. Still, it damaged my driver

I dont know what the damage looks like. But On a slightly related subject, my friend got his driver regripped by a guy and when he cut the old grip off ( wasnt really old, my friend got a new calloway with a matrix shaft) he cut a little to deep. My friend didnt notice till in the middle of a practice round, id driver shaft snapped in the middle of the grip

In my Bag:
Driver: Sumo 4950 9.5*
3-Wood Titanium Big Bertha
Hybrid: rescue dual 18*
Irons: mp 62 3-6 irons, and mp 67 7-PWedges: sv tour black 52, sv tour black 56Putter: Studio Select 35" mid slant

read: "OCD"

I suppose I'm a little OCD. The club always goes back in the slot it came out of. I used to throw them in anywhere, but I noticed that at the end of a bad round my clubs were all disorganized making it hard to tell if I had left a wedge behind. I replace them in their slot now to help me know If I'm missing any clubs. But also, an organized bag full of clean clubs helps trick me into thinking I'm having a good round. If I've shoved a dirty club just wherever in the bag, well that usually means the last shot sucked.

To the OP, yup you'll get a little ring on those graphite shafts. That is the very reason I dropped a "tube" bag. I can't imagine it will hurt the structural integrety of the shaft. It's just a paint thing mainly.

Never, EVER us the plastic tubes around graphite shafts.

They easily etch and compromise the strength of the shafts...plus they prevent the shaft from bending and absorb inadvertent impact.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

Note: This thread is 5610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!