IGNORED

Scotty Cameron putter - shortening the shaft?

apex53
Note: This thread is 5570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not really. Think about it like a sledge hammer. Take an 8lb hammer on a 16" handle, grab it by the end of the handle and hold it out straight, say it's a bit heavy but your wrist/arm will support it. Now take that same 8lb hammer head and put it on a 36" handle and try to do the same: it will be WAY harder. Due to the greater length (I guess it increases the leverage the hammer has over the arm/wrist) the perceived weight of the head is increased. The same thing is happening when you cut or extend a club shaft.

thats the best explanation ive heard yet. totally makes sense. thanks

This is a subject that I have been curious about as well. If I understand what is being said here, there are differences in head weight of say a Studio Stainless, between individual putters of different lengths. This may have even been a model like the Circa '62 putters, that only come in 35, if I am not mistaken. What is the logic of that? It certainly isn't convenient for the consumer. Are the different length putter heads marked in anyway so that one knows the weight? Or do you have to know the history of a putter that is shortened without foresight, to know the weight.

Driver: 4DX T 10.5 Evolver w/ Redboard
Hybrids: G5: 16*, 19*, 22*
Irons: Ping Eye 2 +no+ (5-PW)
Wedges: CG12: 52/10, 56/14, 60/10
Putter: C&L flowneckBall: Z-Star

This is a subject that I have been curious about as well. If I understand what is being said here, there are differences in head weight of say a Studio Stainless, between individual putters of different lengths. This may have even been a model like the Circa '62 putters, that only come in 35, if I am not mistaken. What is the logic of that? It certainly isn't convenient for the consumer. Are the different length putter heads marked in anyway so that one knows the weight? Or do you have to know the history of a putter that is shortened without foresight, to know the weight.

i personally think its all marketing. what if i want a 35" Newport Studio Select with a 360g headweight? yet Cameron only makes 360g headweights available in 34" lengths? sure, it will change the swingweight if i add an inch to the shaft, so what? I prefer a 355g-360g head on my 35" putter.

Note: This thread is 5570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!