IGNORED

And you thought Tiger had a good short game

Trav
Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
You've apparently never had service in France. I've been there several times, had many meals, and never had "service" either. And, when you check the price of the meals, you know that "service" is built into the price.

I've had meals in France. They stay out of your hair. They aren't constantly checking in and asking how things are. I prefer it that way.

They have to put up with your idiocy, smile, be pleasant, and what you don't see is them yelling at the back of the house and the bartenders to get your meals and drinks out quickly.

Who on here has said they stiff people? And the point remains that if they do NOT smile, be pleasant, mess up your order, etc. then they're not doing their jobs.

Nobody that has ever worked in a restaurant or in any service industry would ever stiff a waiter except for horrible service or being disrespectful.

I haven't been reading this thread closely, but I don't think anyone's said otherwise. You seem to be ranting against air.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont understand this culture of tipping....I live in Scotland, I only tip if someone does something beyond the normal duties of their job...for example in a Pub last week the Barman let me order drinks from the telephone when I was walknig round with guests...I gave him a tip, cause thats not in his normal job.

Why should I ever tip someone for doing their Job, i mean no offense but I dont tip my doctor and his job is FAR more imprortant and underpaid than some guy who moves my bag 6 ft.

They get paid to do a job, then they expect to be paid more for doing it...strange...

When I was on holiday in the US was offended to have 15% added to my bill for a tip...that is so rude to assume I wanted to tip. The service was not worthy of the standard bill let alone 15% on top.....

... In the meantime, some kid in high school is busting his ass for his first car, and you're judging his inexperienced and below standard service and cutting his hourly wage in half ... 35 dollar a day paycheck.

And for a high school kid "busting his ass" 4 days a week that is about $140 which is a lot more than I made with my high school jobs, and I was still able to afford my first car (a 1988 Subaru something-or-other)

In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

I'll probably get banned for this, but I'm ready to go. Any of you idiots, let me repeat that, idiots, that stiff a hard-working waiter for 15% are lower than pond scum.

I haven't heard anyone say they "stiff' the wait staff. Seems maybe you are the idiot, yes idiot, and maybe you should work on your reading comprehension. I and several others have said that the owners of the restaurants should pay their wait staffs a fair wage and raise the price of their food so that they are paying them and not making them reliant on the customers to pay their wages on top of their meals.

They may have to put up with my idiocy, smile and be pleasant but so what I have to put up with their idiocy, smile, and put up with them trying to be pleasant, funny and witty (and failing miserably on all accounts) on top of that they have a knack for always asking a question when I just took a bite of food and always hovering around the table except for the rare times that I actually need something. See how good that generalization thing works. Here is a little more of the other extreme side to go with your attitude. As for your whole if you can't afford it don't eat there theory, try this on for size. If a wait person can't fake enough of an interest in doing their job to earn a tip from their tables they can go work at McDonalds or KFC so they can get paid for being incompetent. They are invariably miserable, lazy, uneducated, incompetent idiots that can't get an order right. Now you see how your argument can be turned around. Why exactly would you have an issue with a restaurant paying its employees a fair wage and charging its customers accordingly? The staff gets paid by the owner (like every other business) and the owner gets paid for its product by the customers buying the product. The customer doesn't have to buy the product and then on top of that pay the owner's employees. The staff would not be reliant upon us cheap idiots for their pay. How many wait people do you think would want to go to this system? Answer very few because they make more money relying on us cheap idiots to pay them.

I've had meals in France. They stay out of your hair. They aren't constantly checking in and asking how things are. I prefer it that way.

See, here is a basic human difference. You don't like to be bothered by the waitstaff while others consider it bad service to have an empty drink for more than 5 seconds. I went to a dinner with some friends and their friends onece. Well one of these kids finished his water and about 30 seconds later said he wasn't going to tip because of the service. I was embarrassed for him and sure enough he didn't tip so everyone else chipped in more to cover the guy. Another kid i know told me he never tips and used the same line, "well, you don't tip the checkout people at the super-market." I was seeing red when he said that.

To use your earlier example, you said you made $3 on a $50 tab. Let's say all six of your tables are equally as cheap... even if you have those tables for two full hours, that's $18, or $9/hour

What you are leaving out is that out of that $18 the waiter only gets to see a percentage of that. It gets split up with the bus boys, bar backs, whoever else. I am not sure what percentage of the tip they keep. Maybe someone can help out?

This argument shouldn't be in this forum. We should be an "idiot, yes idiot" somewhere else.

I haven't heard anyone say they "stiff' the wait staff. Seems maybe you are the idiot, yes idiot, and maybe you should work on your reading comprehension. I and several others have said that the owners of the restaurants should pay their wait staffs a fair wage and raise the price of their food so that they are paying them and not making them reliant on the customers to pay their wages on top of their meals.

• Administrator
See, here is a basic human difference. You don't like to be bothered by the waitstaff while others consider it bad service to have an empty drink for more than 5 seconds.

No, no difference. I don't like an empty glass either... but you don't have to stop and interrupt my conversation to see that my glass is empty.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!